1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"kiosk demo" things??

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by WezGG, May 14, 2007.

1. WezGG

WezGG Member

I was just wondering the various about the various "kiosk demos", do they allow (for animal crossing as example), you to get the special items (like you went to toys r us or wherever?), so you put one on someones ds and connect like you are there? or are the things that do that totally different devices (ie not a DS).
    anyone knows that would help my puzzledness.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's basically dumps of carts that are sent out along with magazines and such. They contain demos of future games (or usually current by the time they're released). These belong in the xxxx numbering class as they're never commerically released.

3. WezGG

WezGG Member

so can you obtain the "devices" that giveaway special items? what I was wondering is are they just a DS with special game in. or are they a totally different thing - like a PC with wireless router or something? I just presumed thats what the demo's were, coz I thought who would want to get a demo to play!!!!

4. Seph

It's a demo... a miniature version of the full game. Like you can download a PC demo.
    If Nintendo sent out dump'ed demo versions of every game they made RomUlation wouldn't even exist anymore. So demo's are nice.

5. WezGG

WezGG Member

so the demos are how u get the extra items? incase i am just babbling what I mean is (only example i can think of is animal crossing):
    Nintendo gave out various items at Toys R Us (mario flower, 1up, star), from what I have seen, the actual thing you communicate is not on display (unlike game demos I have been on in shops), its contained in something behind a plastic box or something, I thought it wouldnt be the demos as you had to send a bottle message, and it sent one back, and a lot of people could do it at once (mate saw loads of ppl at one) and I thought DS could only have so many connections (local wireless).

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it is likely a program running on a wireless enabled PC of some description.

As for limits to the number of connections, this is usually software enforced. There are practical limits to the number of simultaneous connections on Wifi, but these depend on the purpose of the connection (i.e sporadic use such as in this case, or sustained connection such as when gaming), the type of connection (infrastructure (=base station) or ad-hoc (=peer-2-peer)) and the standard of wireless used (802.11g or 802.11b). In each case I mentioned, the former will enable a higher number of simultaneous connections, while the latter will limit them.

7. Seph

No that's not what kioks demos are, demos are just a limited version of the full game. It's not addons or extra items for games.