1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Just a Question Regarding SSDs

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

So I've read all over the net that most tech savvy folk recommend installing your OS on an SSD as opposed to installing it onto a traditional Hard Drive for faster and better "read times".

I've also read that SSDs have lower read write lifespans compared to traditional hard drives.

Also I've read that it is in the user's best interest to install nothing but the OS on an SSD and to install other programs on a traditional hard drive.

Now comes one of my questions:

If we are to install other programs on a regular hard drive. How about these programs' inherent need to use the main "OS Drive (drive C) for things like save data, for example in the case of computer games saving our save data on "My Documents" or somewhere on the app data folder?

Is there a way to stop programs from storing important data on the SSD (C Drive)?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you can redirect libraries to other drives.

The way I have my system set up is I have the OS, pagefile and programs (NOT games) installed on a 500GB SSD. I have games installed on a separate 500GB SSD. My documents, my pictures, etc are on a standard rotating hard disk, while downloads is on a different rotating hard disk.

Bear in mind not all SSDs are created equal, some are faster than others.

SSDs are limited lifespan yes (based on write cycles) but so long as you dont defrag them (not necessary anyway) and you dont repeatedly reformat them, they should last 3-5 years at least.

3. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

A question pops up regarding this kind of device.

This solid state drive is sort of similar to the micro sdcards no?

I get the feeling if I use my sdcard for my phone does using a custom recovery prior to installation of a rom effect the sdcard itself or just the internal card on the device? I have been installing my rom on/off for the past 3 months. And whenever I use CWM I don't see any damages to the phone I am using. So here is what I have been doing step by step is:

1)reboot into recovery
    2)factory reset all to default
    3)wipe data/cache/dalvik
    4)install rom/gapps

But I was just thinking repeatedly doing this would potentially harm my phone?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

same type of memory yes. SSDs are usually higher rated (=longer lifespan) than microsd etc.

doing it repeatedly would wear out the flash chips in the phone eventually yes. You're probably going to get a new phone long before reaching that point though.

5. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

Ah, okay. That figures.

I will probably find some other way to mod my phone using SDK.