1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Jailbreaking iPhone/iPod Touch, is it illegal or not?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by mikeac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Okay, I hate apple for what they think about the jailbreaking the iPod. It is not breaking the law, but it violates the EULA (End-User-License-Agreement) and voids your warranty.

Hell yeah. I think that what you do WITH the jailbreak is illegal. For example:
    Emulators (gpSPhone, nes4iphone, snes4iphone)
    Modifying firmware
    Cracked Apps
    Free copyrighted material (eBooks, movies, music, etc.)

Here is a rebuttal:
    Not gonna post any more quotes, so here is an article: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/apple-says-jailbreaking-illegal

2. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

IMO, blocked phones are the worst thing you could ever buy. You payed for the freaking phone, it belongs to you.

Also, why would Apple have a warranty void clausule in their EULA? They already force people to buy a new phone everytime they release a new one!

3. miros

miros Well-Known Member

The great thing about the iPhone OS, which happens to be used in all "i" devices that are registered under Apple are open source. Meaning that you have the legal right to modify anything about the system you want.
    That is exactly right. While there are nothing in terms of legalities that prevents people from hacking their iDevices, and even if there was I do not think that it would deter people from doing so, legal action could be taken on the hackers based on their use of the modded iDevice. This could include stealing trademarked apps using AppTracker, downloading ROMs and ISOs from Cydia, and even using Apps that can obtain free movies and music (ie. dTunes).
    miros

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

As far as I recall, the act of circumventing an access control being illegal was primarily to protect DRM-locked music and such.

Wrong, iOS is proprietary software, the use of which is controlled by your agreement under Apple's EULA. It does incorporate some open-source components, but for the most part your use of the iPhone system is restricted, and as far as I'm aware it references the DMCA access control clause. There are legalities against hacking an iDevice.