1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Ive decided to slim down....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChevyNovaSS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I swim quite often. Doesn't make me gain weight, but doesn't make me any much stronger.

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I heard you shouldn't eat at least 4 hours before you go to sleep

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

try eating raw carrots for a healthy snack.

Pretty much as everyone else has been saying, eat balanced meals and exercise, dieting is bad

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

im also 5"4 but i train everyday and weigh 133lb when i fight and walk around normal at around 147lb
    you dont need gym equipment to lose weight, cardio exercise and diet is the way to do it.
    you start burning fat after around 40 mins so really you need an hours run a day and a healthy balanced diet. dont cut fat out altogether you need some coming in or your body will hold on to what its got.

heres something i copied off my mma site, its not just for fighters, it should help you choose your diet:
    The MMA Diet
    Just as important as the tough training regiment is the fuel you put into your body. If you want to reach your potential in mixed martial arts you must take your diet seriously and learn these simple rules.
    Diet is an important component in the physical preparation equation. You are what you eat! If you do not eat correctly you seriously undermine the effort you make in training for MMA.

Under-eating and overeating both have to be avoided, the ideal is to have a balanced nutritious diet that gives you the energy you need to train. Unfortunately this is not an ideal everyone is able to attain, although it should be an easy matter if you understand what goes to make up a balanced diet. All food has a calorific value. A calorie in physics is the amount of energy needed to raise one gram of water through one degree centigrade.

However, a food calorie is the equivalent of 1000 'physics' calories. The number of food calories you consume together with the number of calories you burn up in daily activity determines your body weight. Water has no calories, but is vital for the proper functioning of the body, especially when training hard or living in hot climates.

The human thirst mechanism is generally regarded as being inefficient and to prevent dehydration it is advisable to drink up to three liters of water per day. Water helps the kidneys to flush toxins out of the body. Attempting to reduce body weight by dehydrating the body is foolish and potentially harmful. Weight lost by sweating in training must be replaced by drinking sufficient fresh water.

There are six classes of nutrients: proteins, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamins and water. Carbohydrates such as fruit, vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes and grain products like bread should provide about 50-60 per cent of your calories and provide easily assimilated energy for your training efforts. If carbohydrates are the fuel for the engine, proteins are the oil. Protein is what the body uses to replenish and repair its tissues, and to build up muscle after it has been broken down in training; it should provide 20 per cent of the calories in an athlete's diet.

Meats, particularly fish and poultry, along with eggs and dairy products provide complete proteins. Fats should provide the other 30 per cent of the calories in a balanced diet, but wide variations in the amount of dietary fat seem to be compatible with good health. Animal fat should be avoided, while vegetable oils such as sunflower oil or olive oil are good sources of essential fatty acids which must be consumed on a regular basis. Because fat is easy for the body to store, excess calories, particularly if consumed in the form of fats, will increase your body fat levels.

Cutting down on calories consumed in the form of fats will, if combined with daily aerobic exercise to raise the body's base metabolic rate and burn up excess calories, lead to a reduction in body fat levels. Losing fat is the right way to lose weight and a much better approach than crash dieting which is potentially dangerous and leads to a loss of lean muscle tissue mass that weakens the athlete. If the athlete has a balanced diet it will contain the necessary vitamins and minerals and supplements should not be needed.

5. Loonylion

I'm 4'10 and weigh 43Kg. not the healthiest person in the world.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

EPP!

I thought I was borederline, 6.2ft and I only weigh 60kgs...

But I eat like a horse, sometimes being skinny has it's advantages...unless it's at "boney" point :(

...I can't really help, I eat plenty of junk food and don't make much effort to exercise, but my job at the supermarket actually has alot to do which keeps me fit (Being a trolley collector, I have to walk around in car parks alot, if not that heavy lifting, I'm one of the stronger workers now, seems muscle power has increased...)

Maybe just exercise, on my days off I do go for long walks in the city looking at all the game shops (plenty of them) which gives me 5 hours of being on my feet all day.

I walk 30mins to the train station as well not just to avoid the horrid bus system, I'd walk to the city as well instead of using the worse train system but that would be a day trek.

7. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

nah, i don't believe you loony. only a lion would weigh 43 kg with a 4'10 height =P

8. Loonylion

actually a lion would weigh about 400Kg with that height.

9. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

i meant a lion cub ^-^

10. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I thought you were a lion ::)

I heard that too. And I heard taking a walk at night is good for digestion.

11. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Basically this.

I'm no fatty by any definition (in fact I'm on the low side of a healthy weight), but I'm currently in pretty heavy parkour training and have previously had to build myself to a decent level of fitness from "skinny little fucker". A run/jog around the block or something is a good way to start, pushing a little bit harder every time. Endurance running is the way you'll want to go, so just slowly build your speed and distance till you can hit and keep a good pace for a kilometre or two. I use a rough rule of thumb wherein I make sure my pace is consistent through the entire run while just enough to leave me reasonably out of breath. If you can, some pressups to finish can be a relatively nice way to let yourself down into a normal heart rate.

As long as you're eating well and not pushing yourself to extremes, you're not likely to have any problems. Burning out or laziness will be your worst enemies, so maybe set yourself a goal. My "get back into shape" goal was Naval entry standards, and my current goal is to hit full conditioning for the Auckland Jam in April 2011. An uncle set the London Marathon as his and rose to the occasion rather well. Just gotta get out there and do your best.

12. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

A good sit up routine is how I would start, strength/fitness comes from the core. I would then start aerobic exercise a few times a week and once you achieve a good level of general fitness I'd then start to incude some anaerobic elements to your routine. Also drink water regularly whilst exercising, if you become thirsty it's already too late.

13. ChevyNovaSS

ChevyNovaSS Well-Known Member

whoa guys im not trying to go crazy here, my goal is to get from 165 to 150. After that i will se if i want to do more. I know from experience that most weight loss things fail if you set a really high goal at first. I just want to know what is a good amuont of time to jog daily?

14. msg2009

you start burning fat after 40 mins so at least an hour

15. akura123

akura123 Member

ok heres a strange question who to do you gain weight cause um haha. im 140 and im suppose to be 180 for my age >< and no mater what i do i cant seem to gain anything at all.

16. kammithecamel

kammithecamel Well-Known Member

This isn't the most helpful comment in the world, but maybe you could download Personal Trainer DS For Men? I got it a while ago (but never used it), and it seems to have a wide selection of workout plans and tips for getting/staying healthy.

17. zehro

zehro Member

That's somewhat debatable. If you really want to find out, I would highly recommend that you invest in a heart rate monitor or find someone who can lend you one. Doing cardio work to burn calories is more about getting your heart rate to certain range and keeping it there. As you become fitter, you will need to work harder to keep your heart rate at a calorie burning level. For this reason, most people that think they are losing weight by taking walks every day at a leisurely pace will not gain the full benefit of the exercise. Sure it is better than sitting on the couch, but it's not ideal.

I wouldn't recommend fasting. If you are going to be doing regular exercise, having 5-6 small meals over the course of the day is much better to keep your metabolism going. Have smaller meals than you normally would for breakfast, lunch and dinner and try to fit a snack in between each of those meals to keep you going. The goal is to be consuming food every 3 hours to stop your body from going into starvation.

Another suggestion is to add some resistance training. It may sound counter productive, but even with some bodyweight resistance training (push ups, pull/chin ups, inverted rows, prone bridges, etc...) you can increase your muscle mass which will then help you reduce your fat. You can argue that weight training doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, but it has been proven to significantly increase your average daily metabolic rate. This makes it perfect for losing fat. Plus you might end up with an attractive physique. ;D

Best way to gain weight is to eat until you are full and when you aren't full, eat some more. Its really as simple as that. I know a lot of people that complain about not being able to gain weight or having a super metabolism but its only because they just aren't eating enough. If you find it hard to eat more food and feel like throwing up, then try GOMAD:

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

The idea is to drink a gallon of milk per day. Yes, its sounds like a lot of milk, but if you break it down over 5-6 meals, its not too bad. If that's too much to start with, then try 1 litre per day for the first week and increase your daily intake by 1 litre each week. I did this 2 years ago, starting with 2 litres per day and it really helped me to increase my weight (went from being 6'1" and 67kgs up to 80kgs). I also worked out doing at least three days per week of squats to help convert the extra calories into muscle. After I reached my goal weight, I reduced my milk intake to roughly 1.5 litres per day. I still take a thermos of cold milk to work each day and have a glass with each meal.

18. msg2009

its not really debatable, its a rough estimate depending on what you have eaten. ive stuck to it for nearly 17 years and its never failed me
    I guarantee if you run over 40 mins a day you will lose fat

19. zehro

zehro Member

I agree with what you are saying, but I think that someone who doesn't already run already might struggle (physically and mentally) with the 40+ minute running sessions. If you can't run for that long, brisk walking (or any other physical exercise) can be good, so long as you are moving fast enough to get your heart rate up.

20. Loonylion

if you cant run you should be walking a lot to get your fitness up to a point where you can run.