1. This forum is in read-only mode.

It begins... (again)

Discussion in 'General News' started by Loonylion, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm back on the cochlear implant programme, have an MRI scan in a few weeks and if all goes well I'm expecting to have the surgery (again) in May/June.

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Poor loony... :(

Here's hoping this time around the implant and your body, err cranium get along nicely.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Sounds like you've got hearing disorder and been accepted to be an augment recipient?
    The idea of having to undergo surgery can be stressful, but look forward to the post-surgery prospect.

You know what? When I typed in 'cranium', this was the first thing that popped up:
    [​IMG]

4. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

I really hope that everything goes well for you :) and as Prectorian said, look forward to post surgery prospects.

5. Loonylion

I'm profoundly deaf, progressive loss in both ears since the age of 5.

I had this surgery back in 2012 but the implant got infected after 4 months and had to be removed.

6. Prectorian

How did it get infected? I assume you went through 2 surgeries within that 4 months?

7. Loonylion

It's not known how or why it became infected, and yes I had two surgeries. It was installed in June, switched on in July and was out by the middle of October.

8. Prectorian

Hopefully this time it goes smoothly. I could only think the previous surgery failed because of the implant material reacting with your immune system, or the surgery wasn't done hygienically causing the infection.

9. Loonylion

neither of those explanations fit, there's no blood supply to the area the implant was located so it cant have been an immune response, and if it was introduced during the surgery the problem would have appeared a long time before it did.

10. Prectorian

From what I've read, it could be attributed to the surgical technique used, and the implant itself. Post surgery complication don't necessarily have to/will show up immediately after, it could take some time depending on the patient's immune system, age, location/source, and type of problem. Our entire body is covered by blood vessels of varying sizes, though it might not have bled during the surgery, it doesn't mean there's none of it there. The body tissue can trigger the immune system, in fact the first line of defence is right under your skin in the epithelium cell.

11. Loonylion

the implant was located between the skin and the bone, there's no blood supply there. and post surgical complications would have developed within the first couple of months, not 4 months later.

12. Prectorian

I see.
    You're not planning on moderating even while under sedation, right? :p
    So how long will you be bedridden? During which time, you'll probably need to arrange for Seph or Reider to fill in.

13. Loonylion

the surgery will take 30-45 minutes. I will more than likely be out of hospital the same day.

14. Reider

Reider Modereider

There's not really much we'd need an extra active moderator for anyways.

15. Prectorian

If that quick, probably not.

16. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

so did you get your MRI scan done ?

17. Loonylion

not yet, its barely a week since I rejoined the programme.

18. Loonylion

MRI will be on 9th of March. First time I've had one with contrast.