1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is Xbox live going to be free?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JohnnieBob, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jack_O_Neil

jack_O_Neil Active Member

The only thing that microsoft give out for free is some DLC on xbox marketplace on the 360!

2. wilhelm820

wilhelm820 Member

Well, silver is free... but it's always been free does that count?

3. nehoma

nehoma New Member

no but u can get it 4 free by like hokin ur mac up 2 the x-box and sumfin else
    my friend did it 4 me

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

use proper english only on this forum.

5. Ankranoth

Ankranoth Member

Xbox live is free some what~! If you go to there website it states:

Silver Membership
    Xbox LIVE Silver is a free service that allows any Xbox 360 user with a broadband connection to get online and interact with the Xbox LIVE community.

Gold Membership
    Xbox LIVE Gold is a premium membership that lets you play games with friends online. Gold membership includes all the features of Silver (below) plus additional benefits and features.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Silver gives you access to the Xbox Live system, but will not let you play games online.

7. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

WHAT!......Microsoft did'nt steal the game,Rockstar games wanted more money so they sold the rights to have in on Microsoft formats.
    Same with Squaresoft(SquareEnix) they were sony and nintnedo only....then they sold to all the companies for monre Income.

8. Loonylion

Squaresoft were nintendo only, then they abandoned nintendo when the N64 came out and switched to sony, because the N64 did not allow them to take the final fantasy series in the direction they wanted, and the PSX did.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I thought it was cost, because the carts cost more than cd's.

10. Loonylion

partly. They wanted FMVs in it and the maximum capacity of the carts would not allow that.The costs of producing multi cart games would have been far too high.

11. Russky

Russky Active Member

XBL will NEVER be free... EVER.

12. bobafett1136

bobafett1136 Well-Known Member

Playstation Network does all that and for free . :) But XBL has 5X more members than PSN does so it cost a tad bit more to host, I do agree.
    And no XBL isn't going to become free it's probably just a rumor that you heard.

(FYI I am not a PS3 fanboy I have both consoles and XBL too, but my Xbox has the RROD :-\)

Boba

13. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No it doesn't. Please show me where it has a party voice chat system, custom music (for every game), and last.fm, granted I said Facebook and Twitter before PSN had those two featured. Also PSN is a lot slower when downloading from the Sony Store, Microsoft hosts devs' content, Sony does not. Also Sony doesn't not host the essential servers for online games, Microsoft takes part in it.

I love my PS3, I just want party chat and a faster PSN Store. Seriously, a 30 MB patch should not take 30 minutes.

14. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

microsoft will never drop a cash cow, ever... end of story, there is just too much for them to lose

15. Loonylion

it takes under 10 minutes on mine. My PS3 consistently maxes out my net connection.

16. bobafett1136

Which PS3 do you have? PS3 DOES have party chat, when you power it on, open a voice and camera chat with someone you'd like to talk to, then press the PS button and start your game. There it is Party Chat. :)

Also on my PS3 (Japanese but with English Language and American PSN) it takes me 3 minutes to download a 25MB patch or download. If I want to download a premium theme which is about 11MB it takes 50 seconds. Are you using wired or wirless internet, Natewlie?

And what do you mean by custom music on every game?

Boba

17. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You can play music from your own library during game play on the 360, by opening up the Dashboard and choosing it.
    It replaces the background music of any game you are playing with the songs you choose. Sound effects and other noises are still audible, but the music from the game is replaced.

(I'm not saying you cannot do this on the PS3, I don't know for sure, I have a PS3 but I don't use it very often).

And I just downloaded a game demo on XBL that was 65MB in roughly 60 seconds :) Just saying that you do get a quality network for the 50 dollars it costs for 13 months of service.

18. bobafett1136

Oh, yeah back when my xbox was working, daft punk - aerodynamic + COD4 = GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME.

You can do it on the PS3 but you have to get CFW which is super hard to find. Sony didn't really bother with it. :p

Boba

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I seriously don't know what you're smoking but starting up the game kicks you out of the chat. And yeah, I tried doing what you told me to do a couple minutes ago. Even then, we still can't send messages with voice.

Don't try to tell me it's only a problem on my end. PSN is seriously slow compared to it's Xbox Live counterpart. I can find many people who can attest to this.

20. bobafett1136

What OFW do you have?