1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is Pokemon games just for kids?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by fantasy252, Apr 4, 2010.

1. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

my 27 year old brother in law waited in line for several hours to buy pokemon diamond when it came out

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

22 here, still playable.

The basic gameplay is for anyone, especially kids IF they can read, however if you use "EV" training (advanced stat training to make dedicate performers) then you have something a technical kinda player who likes things to be deeper can enjoy...though it takes alot longer to play this way and get's boring XD

3. GBurke

GBurke Member

but if I have never played a pokemon game before, would I be able to start off with the most recent and still figure out gameplay and not be totally lost?

4. Dagsie

Dagsie Active Member

Want to be surprised there is this hardcore gaming granny(about 70 I think) in the US I think she has a PSP, PS, DS and many more and she still plays Pokemon ^______^

5. fantasy252

fantasy252 Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!

6. gettajob0007

gettajob0007 Well-Known Member

Most 19-30 year olds play pokemon because they played the older versions when they were kids and have followed it ever since. Am I right? But then again I wouldn't know, I'm 14.

7. Missingno.

Missingno. Member

The main game may be easy, but Wi-Fi battling is definitely not for kids. If you even want a chance to succeed, you have to understand very complicated stuff like chain breeding, natures, EV training, IV's, and moveset building.

8. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

It's rated 'E' for 'Everyone'.

But yeah, I like to play it in Japanese, I can't understand it so the story isn't as cheesy =]

9. Saiyajin Mui

Saiyajin Mui Well-Known Member

Yup. There's more to pokemon than just Level 100s using attacks against one another.

10. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

And that's before you even step into the ring.

11. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I simply look at the Pokemon games this way. They're an Adult based RPG game with kiddy make up all over it. It's what has been the soul reason for its sales.

It is easily even more technical than even Final Fantasy when you get to the nitty gritty part of what the game is all about. 90% of Pokemon gamers will never realise what game mechanics the Pokemon game actually holds.

If you really want to see what Pokemon is all about, check out forums such as Smogon. A Pokemon gamer with low competency on what the game is actually about will think they're reading a foreign language on Smogon. There is also the practical way to find out how diverse Pokemon can be, simply battle online with Smogom forumers. You will literally cry when one of them kill your "fully legendary Mewtwo" with a Vaporeon.

Late last year, I learnt so much about how Pokemon really is played...That I literally learned more in 2 months than I did in 10 years. An example of how different I am to how others play is that I've managed to play the game 40 hours and still have only have 6 badges in Pokemon SoulSilver. Many would have easily finished the game within 20 hours. The reason for the long hours is I'm never satisfied with my Pokemon's levels. There's always room for improvement. The fact that I love the Johto region so much may have something to do with that also. :p

Back on topic though, Pokemon is an adult RPG game with a child like makeover on it. This in the end not only makes it a sales winner for Adults, but also for children.

12. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

yes no problem.
    unless - your properly stupid, cant read and have never played a game before

13. GBurke

GBurke Member

its not for me then =[

14. RhombusJohnny

RhombusJohnny New Member

Just for kids? No. The best thing about Pokemon (pocket monsters) is that the handheld format makes it quite literally in your pocket. I play Gold on the train with a mobile-based emulator and it's fun collecting different pokemon, passes the time quickly. Simple gameplay is good for when you're still not fully awake in the morning.

15. Double A

Double A Member

It depends how you play. The higher competitive level (see: smogon.com) DEFINITELY isn't for kids.

16. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lopunny. Is totally. Safe for children. Am I right?

Pokémon games are insanely fun. If it's insanely fun, then people, regardless of age, will play it. And as for the animated series? Eh, admittedly it's more geared toward kids.

17. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Pokemon is for all ages :)

18. frostydrag0n

frostydrag0n Well-Known Member

Pokemon for kids only?! HELL NO!
    My friend asked me "You play pokemon?!" and I proudly said "YES!!!" :D