1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is piracy really that bad of a crime?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Xalfrea, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Irili

Irili Active Member

Yeah, I get that. I suppose that's the fine line between borrowing and stealing right?
    Mostly I try and buy, but I guess I qualify as the "do nothing" often enough too. Way to put my foot in my mouth huh?

2. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Read this: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=44496.0

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

see this image?

[​IMG]

means it's a terrible crime!

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

ive got over 80000 roms, wheres that rank?
    wow, add that up, thats a lot of money....

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

is there even that many games in the universe?!?!?!?!

6. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

including hacks and different versions theres plenty more

7. ultra

ultra Guest

on what stance?!

the native indians of latin america didn't care much for gold! chocolate was more favorable then gold.

8. DareTH

DareTH Member

Not really, no.

Game Developers are complaining about the second hand market more than they're complaining about piracy.

9 times out of 10; I'll buy or rent a game; so despite my odd few downloads here and there, I usually put more money into the industry than they lose from my downloads. The story is always the same; they report these apparent losses but usually end up making a profit.
    If I don't like a terrible game, I'm not going to buy it...They're going to lose money anyway...It's more likely that piracy will help them make money...

Personally, I don't stop to think about it as a crime. I bought Zelda: Spirit Tracks new. Why shouldn't I be allowed to download it? You've had my money already.

I mean, literally...Bar the retro stuff, I downloaded the odd NDS rom...Which I already owned or planned on getting anyway...Is it really that bad? Should I be treated as a criminal? Na.

What annoys me with piracy is the older stuff (though I suppose it's less chased after). Take Final Fantasy for example; you can't buy it new and the only way to get it is second hand...Of course I'm going to turn to piracy to get it; they're making no losses anyway...Though I suppose the Virtual back catalogues are the way to squeeze that little bit more out of the consumer.

Sega constantly release the Mega Drive Sonic's over every platform, in various collections, to suck as much money from me as possible...I still own the Mega Drive cartridges...I've got Mega Collection and my girlfriend owns Mega Collection+...I've had Mega Drive Collection for 360...I think it's my god given right to download the f'in ROMs if I want! I've paid for the same game three times, after all...(Well...Twice...Mega Collection was a gift...) so there should be no problem in getting classic collection for DS, right? It seems only fair that they should give something back to the Consumer...

It's not like everyone downloads the game; most people buy them and the figures remain high and profits are enjoyed for the companies.

So...Despite my tangent...Piracy isn't a bad crime...And if they sue me...Well, I'm never going to make the amount of money they want from me...So I may as well continue to do it.

Governments suck. Corporations suck. Freedom is a natural resource that we've almost ran out of.

Gold/Money is, in reality, worthless. A silly little invention that runs the world. For some, it's everything, for a few, it's nothing, for everyone else, it's needed to live, since we'd need it to buy the Chocolate. -_-

9. Irili

Irili Active Member

Gold isn't worthless for the same reason stupid, pretty women aren't worthless. It's pretty, shiney (not so much in the case of the latter), is used for making other pretty things (ie jewelry, which is latter given to the latter). Look at birds like crows. They LOVE stealing shiney baubles. Even they have a value for gold.

10. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

GOLD,pretty girls-back on topic guys.

11. mr. awesome

mr. awesome Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm not positive, but isn't that the symbol for Sims money o_O

12. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Holy crap it is! It reeks of fake!

13. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

This is what I think of how things are by definition;

Piracy: Is an act of opening or looting its contents and such as to see if there is anything worth salvaging towards self-interest or say for profit or means of compensating within the enviornment that you are currently in.

Crime: An act of swindling the property or property's owner in terms of illegally purchasing (considering if you have sly fingers) a product manufactured by the companies and its sponsors without their consent.

Bad: Has any one ever taken the Ten Commandments of the Bible seriously...no not really?

Also this piracy thing could be someone's way of curiosity for how a game is made with all of the hackers and modifiers out there.

14. ultra

ultra Guest

here is something interesting to read,

About the illegal software, or, I should probably use the term, "piracy" here, such acts as playing with illegal copies of software are happening for Nintendo DS and Wii. Of course, we are taking various countermeasures, but it has been like a game of cat and mouse, and no decisive solutions have been found yet. Relevant laws cannot completely stop piracy, either. We cannot deny the influence of piracy here. In fact I often hear such arguments as our software is not selling due to piracy. For example, it is said that in Spain it is currently more difficult than in other nations to take effective legal measures against software piracy and that, while the piracy devices are deemed illegal in other nations, it is still challenging to secure similar judgments in Spain. I hear people say that, as the result, Nintendo's market there has shrunk significantly due to rampant piracy. In fact, Nintendo DS software could not make it to the hit software sales chart in the country for sometime. However, when we launched the Nintendo DS software "Art Academy" in Europe this summer, which shows you how to draw pictures, it was ranked No. 1 on the software sales chart covering all the video game platforms in Spain. If one software can attract many people and can become a social topic, that software can sell regardless of piracy. Of course, as a responsibility of the platform holder, we will tackle piracy. For example, when we launch new hardware, such as Nintendo 3DS, it is a good opportunity to beef up the countermeasures, and we are actually working on that now. On the other hand, I do not think we should attribute bad software sales solely to piracy. Even with piracy, as long as we can create products which can attract attention from many consumers and which can greatly entertain them, that software can make it to the No. 1 position of the hit software sales chart. So, we would like to consider it from both perspectives simultaneously. It is true there is always the influence of piracy, but it is important for us to increase the number of our consumers who are willing to shell out their money to purchase our products. So, we do not intend to think that slower sales are solely due to piracy. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100929qa/03.html

so you see, piracy isn't really a problem. it is a problem when you make a product that sucks. the ones who've been complaining heavily are the third party, which means the games they made suck.