1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is piracy really that bad of a crime?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Xalfrea, Jun 27, 2010.

1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

you can if you know where to look. ;)
    as long as ive got the final fantasy games they will always be available

2. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

you're at a game website im sure there's atleast 100 people here who have all the final fantasy games NES-PS2. i know Stanley Richards created a post that has the ones for the gba already.

as for the no LAN option in Starcraft 2 im sure it wasnt just activision who wanted it that way, a few games have already given up on LAN to prevent piracy. its a shame though.. i wont buy it now knowing for a fact that there's no LAN. since the only reason why i even bought half my games it to play them LAN with a buddy

3. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Too expensive; indie developers won't be able to meet the costs. Not to mention publishing also includes a lot of the hype and advertising, something that a small development company simply cannot do. It's part of the reason why stuff published by Activision gets so hyped - Kotick has the resources to do all that shit.

Loony is right about piracy not actually being stealing. It's not, but under most countries' laws it is a punishable breach of copyright which by precedent tends to ludicrous amounts being asked for in reparations.

Thing is, the whole piracy thing as well as second-hand copies of games are considered to be "robbing" the developers (from their point of view). Hence patches, updates and DLC that costs money. It's just more ways to milk cash out of franchises. This is why I'm actually liking Valve a lot - I play a lot of TF2, and all the updates are free because we've ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME. What a novel concept.

4. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

I have a question, what is the punishment for pirating?
    Does Nintendo sue the person that made the download?

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

very large fines for downloaders. We'd get insanely large fines and quite probably a jail sentence because of distributing the material.

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

just a question, which the answer could be serious....if romU gets shut-down, you all ain't gonna give the ESA our IP address, right?

7. Loonylion

8. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

hahaha

no but they are gonna feed your sig bunny to a polar bear

do you think they'd go through millions of IP addresses just to get you for downloading pokemon yellow? they're more worried about the people who upload/distribute the roms

piracy isnt a crime its a form of free rights!!! the right to say Funk you and you're $50 cost :D

9. ChristMonkey95

ChristMonkey95 Well-Known Member

I will answer the question with another question: Is gold TRULY valuable?

10. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Most I.P addresses change whenever you reset your modem anyways.

11. 6Toushiro9

6Toushiro9 Well-Known Member

Piracy is not bad

12. Loonylion

depends on your ISP. Mine never changes.

13. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Ubisoft does the same thing now. Assasins Creed 2 on the PC and several other titles need Interent to just play the Campaign part of the game! This pisses off many people but yet again, hackers were able to bypass the DRM (on the Installation) on the game. And maybe they got rid of the stupid "Interent to play" part.

14. Activision can SUCK IT.

Oh yeah, and so can Adobe. Charging $600+ for products that barely anyone takes seriously? Fail.

That's why I pirate.

15. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

They found a way 1 month after the game was released. This doesn't get rid of the DRM, it just goes around it. But at least you can play the game without the absurd internet connection thing.

16. Diablo361

Diablo361 Well-Known Member

You guys are right. It's not piracy.

It's a breach of copyright law.

17. Irili

Irili Active Member

I suppose you can compare it to an old Texas law. Consider that cattle was a man's livelihood a hundred or so years ago (horses too).
    By stealing his livestock, you were effectively stealing his income, more or less leaving him to die. That's why cattle and horse theives used to hang for theft of that sort.
    Similarly (though not punished in the same way), video game designers, producers, etc. make their living off of their games. By stealing the game, they earn less money; stealing their livelihood (sorry it I'm spelling bad).
    Small amounts of theft don't effect their revenue that much but it's a little different when there are thousands of people participating.
    So where is the line between a bad crime and a "really bad" crime?

18. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well....i got over 200 games on my MSD that i never purchased....where's that rank?! ::)

19. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

There is good and bad crime ;D The good trys the rom and buy it, the bad crime is try the rom and do nothing which is me ;D

20. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

so then i'm also bad crime! oh well, doesn't matter, i've had felonies.... (yes, i am only 15, and have had 22 felonies....assault....)