1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is piracy really that bad of a crime?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Xalfrea, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Xalfrea

Xalfrea Well-Known Member

We all know piracy is the equivalent of stealing, but is it really that bad?

I'll take my country. The Philippines for an example. Original stuff costs so much, and only those that live in the upper places of the capital or those that have a lot of dough to burn can afford them. This is where piracy comes in, they're made and look and are cheaper, and nearly everyone can afford them. This applies to videogames, DVD's, toys, even Havaieanas(sp?) sandals.

The way I see it here, its like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (or middle class).

What's everyone's opinion?

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...my only gripe is that those who made the games you do like eventually (if done enough) go under and would never been seen again.

We pay so much because...

-Staff wages
    -Equipment for making games ie pc's
    -Advertising
    -Actor's (motion caputure or voice)
    -Packaging
    -Prices may be inflated due to 2 things, country and piracy (to compensate)

Sure i pirate but I know who's ass I'm kicking, I avoid pirating nintendo just incase the one small series I like doesn't fall below sales targets and nintendo goes "ok let's axe this, no one is buying it".

EA and thq can go to hell.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Agreed >:D

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Wrong. The legal definition of stealing/theft is 'The unauthorised aquisition of property or currency with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it' With piracy, a copy is made and the rightful owner still has their copy. They are not deprived of the property, nor is there intent to deprive them of it. Therefore, it is by legal definition, not stealing and anything saying otherwise is misinformation. This has been tested in court.

5. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

YESSSS and THOU SHALT BE GOD, Loony.

6. Loonylion

it doesnt make piracy legal, just means that any case brought for theft is doomed from the outset. cases can still be successfully brought under other laws.

7. allkratos

SO maybe that's the reason Blizzard omits LAN from Starcraft 2 and make us online all the time via Battlenet? Or is it Activision?

8. Loonylion

probably activision

9. allkratos

Do you think they will charge for extra maps?

10. Loonylion

undoubtably.

11. allkratos

I think that kind of action will make piracy bigger than before. In the end , people will pirate the game and play it on hosted servers. FAIL BLIZZARD YOU FAIL.
    NO LAN?REGION LOCKED? The only excuse you can give us?Piracy.

12. Loonylion

activision now own blizzard, they're the ones at fault. activision has never been interested in anything other than their own profit margins, blizzard at least try to make games that people enjoy.

13. allkratos

So the WOW's dungeon finder has nothing to do with Activison?

14. Loonylion

yes it did, it was an alternative to buying new hardware.

15. allkratos

I see. I hate it when we were fighting the final boss of a dungeon then the game crashed. Not to mention a lot people play DOTA not on Battlenet because they use cracked version of WC3.

16. Reflecter

Reflecter New Member

Excellent answer Loonylion but as for Piracy...arrrgh.... well it funds people with bombs apparently, without the taxation required to arm the 'good' side, or skim off any trimmings in the process! Hence it is BAD.

hYpNoS is right over costs though, which is a pity, as it's only the games developers that are really hit but they had best deal with the legit 2nd hand game market first, where the rip off is to the customer and the developers, as piracy helps ship the hardware units that are required platforms for them to even have a job within games creation in the first place.

If you ask me, which you wouldn't, I suggest they cut out the middle men and market their games direct to customers themselves, via online purchase only (an initial downloaded copy, followed by the genuine article by post). Though without the middlemen marketers, you can kiss the cash injection that allows for voice talent etc to get onboard, at least to begin with.

That way each development house gets the cash it deserves for each purchase, prices aren't artificially expanded for the steps in the chain and the legit customer can access direct support from the makers themselves if needed. They could even do a returns system and sell cheaper 2nd hand copies themselves, so they at least benefit from such trade.

With the annoying move to consoles of priorly PC only territory (that patches and updates are required to fix issues that the ship date couldn't allow for), and extra downloadable content (that time also didn't allow to be included as intended) as an incentive to keep your legit copy, they could corner the market for themselves. It's their hard work we enjoy afterall and not the middleman's, or retail staff's.

By selling direct, they know if the new customer has bought a copy anew, been passed one 2nd hand (still a legit customer), or has a duplicated version (their database), in which case, no updates for you but enjoy your limited pirated version nonetheless. It's that simple, though of course people can find a way around any system.

17. Loonylion

I wouldnt necessarily cut out the retail stores, but I would agree with cutting out the huge publishing companies, as they get most of the profits even they do very little to produce the game. Each development company should have their own publishing department.

18. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

thats why i always buy bethesda's products.. i'd hate to lose a chance at an elder scrolls game because of piracy

you forgot ubisoft ... i hope they get the pineapple in hell :D

19. alukado

alukado Well-Known Member

At least they increase the demand of console.

20. scarab12

scarab12 New Member

now even al the final fantasy roms are unable to download!
    even the SNES final fantasy 2(i mean come on!)
    first the NDS roms and now the final fantasy roms
    soon enough we cant download anything