1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is a resource based economy the answer to famine and a better future?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by YuL, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

similar but not as bad. just a system that runs more on equivalent exchange

2. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

That's the ideal, but could you make it work in real life?
    How would you determine the equivalency?
    And don't you think that it would eventually end up with some being "more equivalent" then others?
    For all that it's worth, i too think think that money sucks, and that our current system is corrupt beyond repair.
    But we are humans, and as such, we suck.
    So no matter how good a system might sound on paper, believe you me, we will find a way to screw it up.
    That's just a part of who we are as a species.
    But we do seem to be getting morally better over time.
    So maybe 5000 years from now, if we haven't nuked ourselves over who's god is the greatest, or screwed the environment so bad we went extinct, then maybe we will be ready for a system where everybody works for the good of mankind, and there is fairness for everyone.
    But that's just maybe.

3. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

The Zeitgeist movement combines all of the naturalists, humanists, and pacifists all into one big package. The society at large would have to be somewhat spiritual in a sense. Spiritual at heart from the core and out.

Countries are entities as well with many varying groups of cultures from all economic classes. Since money gives people oppurtunities and such as luxury, people get caught up with the habit. It's not even a habit it's mainly survival for one's life. Currency could be exhausted as well, but it requires a budget. However, resources will get consumed and it will be more difficult to replace. This is merchantalism at it's finest.

Humanity would not offer a helping hand that easily, just go outside and see how many people care and who are willing to join forces for a cause. Not very likely!

4. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

Too bad the thread on the news forum was locked, since this post would be more OT there.
    But anyway, i went and watched the 3rd movie, yes the whole 2 hours and 40 mins of it.
    I have to say, the movies keep getting better, IMO.
    Basically it's like this:
    1st movie:Complete bull.
    Basically nothing in that movie can be taken seriously as it is just conspiracy theory piled on conspiracy theory.
    Jesus is Horus, Bush knocked down the towers and the NWO wants to implant chips on your babies.
    2nd movie:
    Very good points and explanation about our economic model, poor presentation of solutions for a better model.Left me with the impression of a Communist agenda.
    3rd movie:
    Very good in explaining what is wrong with our current system, from society to economics to human behavior.
    Left me feeling hopeless for my kids' future as i don't see how the solutions presented will ever take place through peaceful protests like the movie suggests at the end.
    The only way i can see this ever becoming possible is after the entire system melts down.
    And even then, it is but a very scant possibility, as humanity would start looking for who to blame, and instead of fixing the problem, would most likely engage in wars which would only worsen the conditions.
    Basically this:
    HOWEVER, let's assume the idea does work, and miraculously this comes true:
    Wouldn't we still need some human jobs?
    Like reporters, teachers,scientists, the movie itself talks about how some people would still be needed to oversee some of the machine work, etc.
    The movie guarantees that people would work for free, just because they understood how this system fulfilled their lives with everything they needed.
    But how can it guarantee that?
    Have there been significant studies to show this to be the case?
    Would these people who work for free still feel motivated to give their very best?
    In todays economy people try hard to do a good job, for fear of someone better replacing him.
    But in this system, it seems there would be no motivation for full potential.
    Basically, even if people did volunteer to work, they would still probably not go the extra mile for something, since there was no incentive to try extra hard.
    And then, again, i bring up the crime scenario.
    I agree with what the movie says about culture and environment.But completely eliminating police and the judicial system?
    What about, for example crimes of passion?
    Some guy gets home from the free golf range to find his wife in bed with his best friend.So he kills both.
    There is no judicial system, so what do we do?
    I guess put him a nut house?
    Will the nut house be run by machines?
    Or will there be people volunteering to take care of loons?
    Magides, although anyone can reply to this, i wish i could see your opinion on these points, since you seem to be the one more in tune with this movement here.