1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ipod touch vs. nintendo ds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joshrocks309, Oct 12, 2009.

1. olliebot

olliebot Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you prefer spending 200 bucks on an ipod and then another 50 on okay quality headphones rather then have an extremely quite ds with the 50 dollar headphones? I know I would, But it have other shit to buy (macbook, psp, books, save up for post secondary cause my parents won't pay for it)

2. rjsec4ever

rjsec4ever Well-Known Member

I own both, but if you have a PayPal account, it is wise to get an iPod touch... you'll heavily rely on your bank funds for downloading right from the device... or iTunes, wherever you want. Just don't give in to the $100+ apps... 5 million chips on Zynga's Poker is $149.99.

3. maggiemaymay

maggiemaymay Well-Known Member

I'm a parent and I'm not getting ipods for my kids. Don't you have to pay for everything that you download? What happens if you don't have a backup? Do you have to buy everything again? Sounds like a money pit.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It is.

But you can use cd's-and the net just to get song info.

Downloaded FREE music (wink wink ;) ) also works-all my torrented music works.

5. johncarl

johncarl Well-Known Member

thou can'st hath both on one

6. rjsec4ever

rjsec4ever Well-Known Member

YES! That's it! Apple is money-hungry! Ever look at their hardware? It's overpriced because us End-Users aren't really "allowed" to upgrade their computers... and the worst part? Apple is based on UNIX, which Linux is derived from... last time I remember, LINUX IS FREE!
    Oh, and when Apple releases a major update of the iPhoneOS (like to 3.0, 4.0, etc.), they CHARGE. You skim around and find the firmware yourself. The reason you're here is because you are tired of paying $30, $40, etc. for DS games, when you could come here and pay just $10 for an AceKard (or whatever) and whatever for the microSD... for unlimited gaming. That's why I'm here. Sometimes though, I like my iPod touch... and most of the apps on there heavily rely on Facebook, so yeah... they also have their little Gamerscore thing called Plus+ for some of the games. Also, the games are fairly priced (many $0.99, but could be as much as $9.99).
    And if you, your kid, whoever, likes Facebook, like me, some apps have expansions (like Epic Pet Wars, Mafia Wars, Zynga Poker, etc.)... those are where the money is needed... but the developer sometimes does a freebie or two.

It's completely up to you, though. But I'm careful with my iPod touch... don't let yours break.

7. s_quizno

s_quizno Well-Known Member

NDS has a lot of fun little games, but it's media capabilities are . . . . ugh . . .
    PSP's sort of the halfway point between media and gaming, though it's way better used for gaming. (Lately, not much PSP games interest me though)
    I can't give an opinion on the iTouch, don't have one. All I have is this 1st gen iPod nano I "found"*. It still plays music - all's good.
    Movies and stuff are best left to computers and entertainment systems, never did get into the whole handheld video thing**.
    I envy you. I don't feel safe walking around/waiting for the bus with headphones on.
    *I didn't steal it. I really did find it in a hotel room in Minneapolis (I'm surprised a cleaning lady didn't get to it first . . . maybe they didn't clean T_T
    **Can't read anime subtitles on such a puny screen

8. polron

polron Well-Known Member

get the NDS! It rules! ;) but thats just my opinion :p

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

DSi then m8!! i have it and i actually gave away my ipod cause i had no more use for it at all! you can't play itunes music on it, but you can convert the music so that it's not protected with apple's dumb protection!!

the dsi has music, games, internet, videos, and almost everything that the ipod does.....kinda!! but i prefer it!!
    apple is stupid....

10. jlspec

jlspec New Member

Nintendo DS all the way. The IPOD Touch games kinda sucks compare to what the DS have. Ipod games are for people who want easy and simple games.

11. Ryoslide

Ryoslide Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence about buying a touch. My friend works for a company that designs games for the Itouch/Iphone. And your right the games are "hey I got 10 mins to kill waiting for the bus or doctors appointment". But thats what they are for, you want to be able to quickly turn the game off and not worry about saving your progress.

If you wanna game go with the DS its just plain logic. I have seen NES and super NES emulators for jailbroken Itouches put they are not 100% yet.

If I buy a Itouch it will be the 32 gig one.

I would say the only way you will be satisfied with your touch is if you Jailbreak it. Then you can place your previously downloaded movies, tv, mp3's.

12. emmkayye

emmkayye Well-Known Member

Im an iPod touch fan even though i dont have one. The games are good but like wat everyone else says, the games are for when ur bored.
    The battery is really short mind you, if you play high intensity games like Touch Touch. The battery will last for about 1hr or so.

With a DS, you have a range of games for when ur bored or not. Also battery is good.

At the end of the day, it's your choice.

13. cowcat06

cowcat06 Well-Known Member

I have both-the latest Ipod Touch 4th generation & a Ds Lite. I really don't care too much for the Ipod Touch games-maybe 1 or 2. But the Ipod Touch has cool Apps too & also movies/music you can put on there. Plus a fast pocket internet. I still use my Ds Lite frequently to play my favorite games & it's my main gaming device. I'm glad I have both.

14. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I would stick with the DS because:
    -it can play games, movies, music
    -is very useful when you get bored (unlike the iPod)
    The iPod can do all that, but it has really crappy games...
    you seem to think that the DS is for little kids or something and you are hinting that puzzle games (such as those on the iPod) are much more entertaining...
    I think that you are just trying to keep up with your friends and their trends.
    I don't want to be 'that guy' but, why ask if you already have your mind set, reassurance is not needed when a decision is set.
    -iTunes needed >:[
    ***I would personally suggest a PSP, as it has all that you pointed out, you can even relive your memories of old school consoles.
    -PSP games (the PSP has good graphics)
    -Hombrew such as SNES,NES, SEGA, GBA etc...
    -Movies, Music, Radio, Internet...
    -and again no itunes needed...well if it's an older model you can jailbreak...but it may not be...

15. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

IPOD TOUCH FTW, more apps that are useful and it's a growing platform

16. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Some games on the iPod are nicer than games on the ds (eg: gta on iPod is nicer than gta on DS)

17. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Windows beats Apple(s)...you know since it's glass and all...
    Just like the DS beats the iPod....

18. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

lol no.

19. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Have you actually played that game on an iPod touch?

20. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Seeing as how i don't own an ipod touch, no. It plays fine on the DS, perfectly actually.