1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Instincts versus Human Norms

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

AMEN brothers!!!

And a little smidgen of a country like the Philippines just can't stop kissing America's Arse!! Really most of my countrymen still hail America as this Wonderful "democratic" Haven, sheesh!!

2. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

how the world hates america ;D

3. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

America has probably sucked most of Indonesia's natural resources within the past 50 years, yet they ask us to "do something about pollution". Good grief.
    Anyways, we are where we are because of so called rules/laws/norms/order. Remember, social norms (~religion) is there to pick up where instinct leaves off. Without it we would be, well, animals.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

and what's wrong with animals?

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

As I've said, being "savage", uncivilized or beastial seems better 'cause you're only bound by your own inhibitions & are not sibjected to laws/rules that "can be bought"

6. Loonylion

animals aren't savage, or uncivilised, their societies just work differently to human society.

7. equitypetey

yeah they work better

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Sorry about that loony, I just can't think of a good word to replace the opposite of "our" concept of civilized, but true, animal "culture" to borrow the term is much simpler:

The strongest leads, yet as the strongest he is at the mercy of others of equal or not strength as he/she is & his/her leadership is always threatened.

The weakest isn't necessarily the weak link. Yes stragglers get chased, killed & eaten by predators but their sacrife, again to borrow the term, isn't for naught. as they assure that the pack/herd/group will live on.

9. Loonylion

again that isn't true of all animals, elephants for example will gang up on a predator targeting a weaker elephant. That's why we were in such danger trying to capture them.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Umm yeah, plus Elephants seem to be the other being on Earth who mourn death, that is they know which elephant a set of bones is & they have this "ritual" again borrowing terms, that they do where they caress said bones

11. Loonylion

elephant society is family orientated, unlike a lot of other species.

12. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

alot of animals are family oriented, because well, they stick to their families

13. Loonylion

not on the same scale as elephants. For most animals (certainly predators), there comes a time when the young animal will be turned out of the family to fend for themselves. That is how their society works, and the young animal either survives alone or dies.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Most males of any species have that, at a certain age you're off to fend for yourself.

But on a grim side, some animals, especially birds, commit infanticide to ensure that their genes are the ones that get passed on.

And in still others, incest is the way to go

Some primates, commit prostitution, if you could call it that, by offering food to females, in exchange for sex.

And don't forget two of my favorite members of the Arthropoda family, the praying mantis & the black widow. After "some good lovin'", the males of both species become "happy meals" for their mates!! Yeouch!!

15. Loonylion

baboons are one of the only two species of animal that kill for the sake of killing, i.e for pleasure. The other species? Humans. Maybe that's proof we're descended from apes.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yeah, that plus the fact that our species also "enjoy" hurting & killing our own

17. Loonylion

thats what I said...

18. equitypetey

dolphins have been proved hunting porpoises (or at least i think its them) for fun

19. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

I think that living base on instincts will be pretty chaotic. Since such society will probably establish the rule "the strong live, the weak die". So if in an instance that i am strong and you are weak then i can do anything i want, that includes having sex with your wife and children. Freedom is nice, but a bit too much of everything is bad.

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Sigh, if that was the kind of foundation our society was based, I'd be very very happy ;D