1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I'm looking for a good antivirus...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Landon1, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

It's very risky to use but.... ComboFix FTW~~!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1GtbPrJEA

Or maybe Deepfreeze as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raYLv4Th5vI&feature=related

Or if all else fails.... How about that good ol' Windows installer Disk to do a total system re-install? Err, no, Alright then ^^

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is damn good and is free if you have a legit copy on Windows. I ran it for a while, then downloaded a couple more virus scanners to double check. Nothing bad on my system.

3. Landon1

Landon1 Well-Known Member

Yes i know its good but my computer really can't run something that takes up half my memory to run it!

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

kaspersky is one of the best paid for AVs, and is also one of the cheapest. ESET NOD32 is the best paid for AV, while norton and mcafee are both utter shite.

programs such as combofix are not antivirus programs, they are highly dangerous removal tools that should only be used if all else fails when you have a virus, and only if you know what you are doing or are under instruction by someone who does.

5. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

so whats AVG rated on the loonylion scale?

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Roughly reliable bloatware.
    That it is, which is why for very nasty virus infections people should definitely ask for help/assistance on sites such as thebleepingcomputer or majorgeeks & not here. But oddly enough there are those who ask for assistance here simply because this is the only trust worthy site/forums they know of.

7. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

I already lost a PC because of Avast. I recommend you use Avira Antivir Personal with Ad-Aware Free and Comodo Firewall, and finally Sandboxie.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

But according to several folks, even loony himself, Avira's auto updater is broken so you have to manually download & install the necessary virus definitions & program components which is a bit of a hassle IMO.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It actually seems to be fixed now. There was a period when it was broken though

10. Petey

Petey Well-Known Member

If you are a savvy internet browser like Littlekill or myself, you do not need AV software.

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

For those of you that like downloading viruses, there's software that prevents viruses from entering your system using a firewall, and a second line of defense by preventing it from making any changes to your system.

But really, the best defense is to just not get a virus in the first place...

12. jackwang

jackwang Guest

:-XWow, as a part BBS, to resume a tipsafter looking is contribution, is virtue!!!!!

13. Dtoner

Dtoner New Member

Trend micro titanium?

14. Genya Arikado

Genya Arikado Well-Known Member

I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

15. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

m2

16. trev1

trev1 Well-Known Member

my crappy gateway actually has a factory reset and then i just use a disk image to fire the ol robot back up...also theres a cracked avast floating around which i been using ....now i get a big red stop sign message saying "you are using a pirated copy...blah blah blah.." BUT i can still update and it seems to be working...what should i do.....and i second spybot....the absolute best malware wiper..

17. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

I use Microsoft essentials. I used Avast prior thought I'd give this a try.

Never had issues with either.