1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Illegal Downloading

Discussion in 'Rants' started by CloudBoy101, Feb 6, 2008.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

actually smaller underground bands prefer using torrent sites and whatnot to distribute their music. Without it, they wouldn't be known at all. Some artists don't care about money, they just want to be heard.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that I tend to download movies that are in the xvid/divx format to play back on my computer/PS3. I download them because they are very compact filesizes with great quality and I can't do that myself. Most of the movies I do have, I actually own on DVD but it is very inconvenient to carry around an entire case of DVDs (same goes for games) everywhere I go.

I also download games that aren't even possible to get anymore (FF7 PC, FF7 8 PC) at least from a retailer. Who wants to pay someone on ebay for a copy of FF7 for well over $200 when you can get it for free? It's not like square makes money off of used copies owned and sold by the private. Much like GM doesn't make money off of used GM cars sold by non GM dealerships.

Most of all of my games have been used so in this sense, the game making companies still don't profit from me buying a used copy. The only one that makes decent money from it is Gamestop and the like. In that sense, why not download it, instead of getting ripped off twice by Gamestop, once for selling a game to them for hardly any money and then a second time to whoever buys it at a much higher price than what they paid for it.

2. monter

monter Guest

I like to download games and then buy them because I prefer buying them because then I get a neat case 8)

When it comes to PC games I download them to see if they do run on my computer well. Because I bought this game the system requiremnts said it would work but it didn't :-[

3. insanecrazy07

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

solves that problem.
    although I have gotten some failed tests for minimal settings and I can still play it (The Sims 2, any expansion. the regular sims 2 passes.)

4. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I'm too young to go to a proper jail :p
    And I don't care about corporations that want £30 to add to their millions, if it was a nice normal not rich person I wouldn't take their stuff without permission a corporation is no one person! ;D Taking is not illegal anyway but distribution is kinda...

5. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Taking it is illegal, as well as copying and distributing.

I don't mind downloading a game that's older, but if it's a newer game and I've tried it out, I'll throw down a few bucks for it, hell, I'll even pay for older games too, if I happen to spot them at a store, just because I know it's a great game and I wont be disappointed because I'd already played the hell out of it and know it's a great game. :D

6. insanecrazy07

I got FF7 for PSX from a random store and I jumped all over that.
    However, because of its rarity, I had to pay $40 for it.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I found FFIX for £20 second hand a year or so ago, and since that is the rarest FF game in the UK, I jumped on it. But when I got to the counter to get the discs, they took the empty box off me to get them, and the box they gave me back was not the same one. It was still sealed.

8. insanecrazy07

FF7 is by far the rarest of the 3 in the US.

I saw several copies of FF9 in the back.
    FF8 had a few copies as well.

9. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friends that have been looking for FF7 for several years now, albeit they aren't trying too hard. I'm thankful that I've held onto the copies of 7-9 that I've had over the years, 9 is original but 7 and 8 I was stupid and sold the originals and ended up buying them when they were rereleased as Greatest Hits.

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Luckily I have the originals of FFVII and FFVIII. I'm going to keep them for years to come. Downloading other people's copies is fine, but you don't get "feel" as good. I heard Canada are looking at a new illegal downloading ban law. On GBATemp. Unless it was a hoax, they seem to do that a lot lately..

11. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Oops , will have to stop downloading. But, all the games I have downloaded till now... have the originals.

12. insanecrazy07

the canadian attorney general is a douchebag.
    one of the reasons why demonoid had to ban all canadian traffic...before it was shut down.

don't they realize that there's more to downloading than just illegal content?

13. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

Lock me up, 'cus I'm a criminal - granted, I'm a criminal out of necessity (and, granted, necessity is a bit of a loose definition) and, when I can, I will pay for things. But, until I get the money to buy more of what I want, I'll continue to find ways to get what I want without paying as much.

For games, I really only keep older games for systems, such as a few SNES and N64 games. Otherwise, I just download it for the day for a bit of nostalgia or to try out a game I'm thinking of buying - it's saved me some money, and it's allowed me to play some of the older, greater games, while relishing in a bit of my childhood.

For music, I would love nothing more than to pay for it, if only because the bands I like are generally small and relatively unknown. But, if any artists came to here, I would go to their show in a heartbeat. I want to support the music I like, but I also think that simply listening to it is support in and of itself. I'm a fan of the person all the same, and I'd go to their live show, even if I did obtain their music in less than legal ways.

For movies... I've only done a few that I simply needed to see (Monty Python and the Holy Grail is on I JUST saw), and deleted it afterwords. I hate watching stuff on my computer, anyways, so I don't have any need to steal motion pictures, at least for long periods of time XD

All in all, illegal downloading is what I can do now to experience stuff that, when I have the funds later on, I can experience to the fullest. Besides, CD's and physical copies of games play better, anyways, so it's even in my interest to seek out the real deal.

14. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Has anybody seen the knock-off-Nigel advert? It promotes bullying people who watch and play illegal downloads... It also insinuates that the people who watch and play them are cheap, dirty and bad people :eek: The gov's lame attempt at stopping us :p
    I don't think so!

15. err

err Well-Known Member

Here's what I think: When you download a song/game form the internet the song/game is still there. Unlike when you steal a car, then you stole something that can only be stolen once. If it worked the same way, there wouldn't even be a reason to buy anything.

16. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That would be like, email me if the download on my site has been taken.

17. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Downloads are usually free, so there shouldn't be a charge to the person unless they payed which is involving currency, I charge you to pay "0.00 Pence for your download action... Wait... Uh... Just delete the files..."

18. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

I aint Even Gonna Lie. i am a thief from the day i was 5 iv been stealing toy cars, mags, Video games from nintendo to the latest ps3. i am a thief and i aint gonna lie about it. i download music (Even though im a rapper) i download games, Roms Etc. The resson is because thats how life is right now.

i think of it this way. when i go to school i get tought things that i didnt know which then means im stealing this information because i didnt ask permistion from the person who actully found out that information.

Nintendo make new games, Sell them off and make new games. out off all the people that buy games they probly dont eve have any idea on that you could find that game for free. so out of 1000 people that buy games only like about 5 people download it. so Nintendo isnt realy looseing alot of money. they are gaining still because some people are still buying it.

Stealing to me is part of my Everyday Life. ye ye i know its wrong but i was born through stealing. its not a habbit its part of me. Now, i obviously have my limits because i am a good guy. i help old ladys cross the road n sh1t. i help people with there jobs. but i dont get nothing out of it. so illiagly downloading gives me the right to choose a gift for the things i have done.

19. happyhel21

happyhel21 Member

What really annoys me about that ad is when they put it onto the beginning of a dvd that ive bought... i've paid for the thing and yet i have to put up with the advert when i wouldn't if id downloaded it. They also put inserts for pirating being illegal into the dvds instead of getting inserts about the actual films (again, clearly ive bought it not pirated it!) It's also a rubbish advert, the amount they've spent on distributing it and yet it looks as though an amateur made it. We've got quite a lot of on demand services in the uk now, where programs can be watched off the official channel sites which is good and will come in useful when i'm a student and don't have access to a tv. There are some programs which i can't watch though like one tree hill & lost which i know can be watched if you're in America so i watch those online as i can't go without ;)

20. ricky_

ricky_ Well-Known Member

I find it funny how they equate piracy to theft.

They're not the same thing. This handy chart explains it well enough:
    [​IMG]