1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Illegal Downloading

Discussion in 'Rants' started by CloudBoy101, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

losing a 4GB memory card is more of a loss than losing a game cartridge. We do not condone downloading roms 'because it's free', we host them so that people can try before they buy, no other reason.

Also, Please read our rules regarding the correct language to use on this forum, abbreviations such as 'u' are not permitted.

2. ultra

ultra Guest

i have like 40+ ds games. what makes my games different then your games on a memory card is that there is value on the games i own. if i sold my ds lite with 40+ games, i can earn a modest amount. but with your ds lite and a memory device, you can't earn a modest amount regardless if you include all the ds library as those things are easily obtainable by download. so, i might earn $500+ on selling my ds while you can earn less then $200. remember that selling roms are illegal.

3. Loonylion

giving them away for free is also illegal.

4. ultra

ultra Guest

that too! i just added that to the arguement i was trying to make.

5. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

Than is lending game illegal??

6. Loonylion

good question, and the reasonable answer is no, since you (assuming it is you lending it to someone else) still own it.

7. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

Than if someone were to catch me giving it "free" than i could just say that i am lending my friend for 1 day....

8. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

As long as you purchased the game in question, then letting someone borrow it isn't illegal.

9. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Where I live it is literally impossible to get original software/ games. Period. I mean, I'd have to go to Singapore or Malaysia if I wanted to buy legit software. I either have to buy a pirated/ bootlegged version or DL from the internet, and I choose downloading because it's convenient.

10. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever illegal, there are always holes within each law...but some are too profound to break down, and reveal those, so...That is why the government does that...and Romulation isn't illegal, its just the files that are illegal.....Yeah.....But the files are for use only, I think I ahve bought enough games to earn my self the respect of getting new games for trying, and You must take in the fact that I do not ahve an income, so HAH!

11. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

I must say this will stop here okay? Do not argue with cloud boy or anyone and get back on topic.

12. rorybob

rorybob Well-Known Member

I illegally download, not a lot, because my spped is slow any RS i dont have a premium, btu i do it.
    When i d/l a game, i usually get ones where ive lost the disc or had the game once, and f its a new game, ill use it for a week or two or complete it and then delete it, mainly because i dont have room, but because then i can go out ansd buy it, if i left it on there i wouldnt bother buying it, and id get sued or something.

13. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

Im a pirate but i have a good reason why. if i was rich or better yet, if i had the money to buy what i wanted i would go and buy it but since I'm a Student i don't get money or pocket money for that matter so how am i meant to go and buy something that i haven't got the money for? Exactly; so i have to illegal download it.

When it comes to games/music/movies i normaly go ask my friends to borrow it me and thats it. now if they got it illiaglly then thats not my problem since all im doing is borrowing what i asked for from a friend.

i used to download music for fun and then sell them, but then friends asked me that if i make a CD (I am a Rapper) and sell 1copy. dont you think it would be wrong for them to start selling your music and not giving you a share of what they got? so i stopped downloading and selling music.

The only thing i download from the PC is games that are made for PC and are ligal to download like "Gunz : The Duel, Maple Story, Yo-Gi-Oh Online Etc. i only play Gunz). Then i buy the Rest.

14. SillySora

SillySora New Member

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZo4x_p4ug&NR=1]Anti-Pirating Parody[/url]

Yeah, I download, I admit it. I download SNES, N64, GBA, GBC, NES, and PSX games, and just recently tried out a DS game (though that one won't become a habit). I also download music (and one movie). It's just so much easier to download games than buy them. But since with a lot of the more new-gen games, the files are bigger, and they demand a lot more than emulators out there can offer, I download less of them, and buy more of them. It's a weird cycle xD.

15. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I only really download games I can't easily get, like older games for the sega, SNES, PSX etc. I have downloaded games for the PSP, but I only keep them 'til I can afford to buy them or I find they're not worth playing. I am also a poor student, but am doing a games development course so don't want to sink the industry I want to work in someday. I believe games older than about ten years should become freeware anyway, it's hardly fair for sony/squaresoft to expect me to buy final fantasy tactics again, just for the PSP is it?

16. Loonylion

No, but people do and they make money from it.

17. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I understand that, that's why they re-release it; for people who haven't bought it before. But I don't see why I shouldn't ISO my PSX version of FFT and play it on my PSP.

18. Anbutou

Anbutou New Member

I keep my downloads primarily to abandonware, stuff you'll never find, or you'll have to pay someone on ebay $500.00 to own, No thanks. If the company in question isn't producing what I'm after in terms of software, I'll just find it and take it from the internet. If they are, I'll usually run a trial - take when Audiosurf was released, I picked up the trial, wasn't fully satisfied, so I torrented it. After about a day or two, I decided it was well worth the ten bucks, and bought it, I'll do the same with a lot of things.

When a company re-releases a game, they usually include one or two extras to entice people to buy it, It's a lot like games charging for "content packs" and really, the only reason to ever re-release something is when you have an extremely underground classic that was incredible for it's time that no one really knew about. SO many games today are because no one realized how good [Insert Game Here] was back in the day. I understand what gaynor talks about though, it doesn't seem very fair to expect someone to pay 50 bucks (or however much PSP games cost, I've long since given up actually owning handhelds, at least since the GBA) for a game that they already A - own, and B - aren't really getting much else but the game. Side note, at least they actually released a tactics that was good, man, FFTA - BLAH.

Overall I think downloading is something that you'll never be able to get rid of, as long as there's the internet, at least as long as no one completely regulates it. Some people will use it within the law, which states you must remove any copies of any software you do not currently own within 24 hours of acquisition, and some will use it to take what they want without having to pay for it, and without total regulation, neither are possible to stop.

19. Loonylion

Just so you are aware, that is bullshit that sites use to try and make people feel better, it has no legal basis whatsoever. There is no such law, it is illegal period.

20. Abbafan1972

Abbafan1972 Well-Known Member

yes I do the odd bit of downloading, only games and occasionally music. I don't download movies. I rent from an online company and if I really like the film I will buy the DVD.

The stuff I download is for my own personal use and I don't make any money out of it. I have a DS lite, which my kids play on as well (although I'm hoping to get them their own when I can afford it), and I certainly begrudge paying £25-£30 for a game they are going to get bored of in 5 mins.

It would be better if certain game shops paid more when you trade the games back in. Buying a game for £30 and then only getting £8 back for it when you trade it in a week later is criminal in itself.

Pre-owned games should be a bit cheaper than they are, not just £2 cheaper than buying a brand new one.