1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Illegal Downloading

Discussion in 'Rants' started by CloudBoy101, Feb 6, 2008.

1. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen that commercial on TV (sometimes they put it in the preview before a movie), it says "you wouldn't steal a car?!?!.....you wouldn't steal a movie?!?!?......pirating is a crime!" and all that. I find downloading a movie a lot easier feat than stealing a car, if you ask me.

People pirate movies, games, music, whatever, because they're in the privacy of their own homes, not out in a parking lot in the middle of the night (or whatever time people usually steal cars). You go to a website, search what you want, and boom. It's yours.

I'm sure some people do it to "try" the product out. I usually download a newer movie to see if it's any good, if it is, I go and pay my $5 to the cinema. If its a older movie that I haven't seem in forever, I'll download it, watch it, and delete it.

Same goes for music. If it's a band, say, Pink Floyd, who have had all the money they could want and don't really need to make a profit anymore, I'll download their music. I'll download Jimi Hendrix's music because he's dead and he wouldn't get any of that money anyways, I'm sure he would want it that way :p

My point is, don't judge me for being a pirate, I give my fair share back. That is all.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah that's in like all movies. Even in the simpsons movie, when Bart is writing something on the blackboard. I forgot what though.

3. CloudBoy101

"I will not illegally download this movie"

I got a really good screener when that came out too.

4. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

It said something like I will not illegally download this movie or something :p
    Lol, yeah exactly what Cloudboy said.. I just replied right after him :p I guess I was right, but yeah, Illegal downloading is wrong, but everyone has done it atleast once right? :p

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have never downloaded anything illegal, I would not dream of doing anything like that. I pay M$ hundreds of pounds for every copy of windows I have.

And I am most definitely not an administrator of an illegal site, you are imagining my being here and will wake up when I snap my fingers... :p

6. 0790

0790 Well-Known Member

Firstly This...

I am a self confessed pirate, I mean if there is a way of doing something cheaper I'll do it. That is not to say i endorse piracy I believe people who have worked had to create something deserve payment, what I wouldnt be willing to accept is paying for something that has commercially paid for itself, (we watch TV with adverts, product placements and sponsorships all the time). If I have to watch something that makes the company money whilst still being asked to pay inflatted prices then that is where I turn to piracy, if a show is honest and genuinely entertaining then I have no problem paying for what they have created.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The stupidity of that commercial is that no I wouldn't steal the car, but I wouldn't feel bad about cloning the car and using it if I didn't have the money to buy it anyway.

8. CloudBoy101

^ yeah, all it comes down to is taking zero's and one's. If someone cloned a car and put them in a car lot with a million copies, wouldn't you take one?

9. wiirdos

wiirdos Member

Yeah, I wouldn't steal a car... But I can't right click on a car and then make copies of it, then upload it and distribute it across the web.
    It's just way too easy to illegally download stuff. Although I do show mercy upon smaller (bands) that don't make $800,000 per month.

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Those ads are just there for scare tactic, trying to scare people into not burning/downloading movies. Yeah im a pirate, but only because im a poor ass student and cant afford to buy software/movies/music. If I had the money then yeah sure I would.

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The problem with that comparison is that no one is loosing anything when you download something unless you do it instead of buying it, if you merely want to test it out and decide that it isn't worth buying then no one has lost anything. Personally I download loads of games and movies, the few that I found interesting I either watch at the movies or buy on DVD.

If we take the car as an example then someone already bought it and will loose it if you steal it, you can't walk up, clone it and then drive away. Though, if you could then it would fill a need where you would normally buy a cheaper car instead, so it still wouldn't be the same.

12. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Or if you simply stole the car, took it for a test drive and then left it back in the same condition you stole it in. Cloning a car is a little unrealistic seph :p

13. CloudBoy101

hehe, a bought a copy of that as well, great game.

14. ultra

ultra Guest

right on seph!

besides, the comparison to a car then to a cd is different, a car is owned by an indiviual who worked hard for it and don't have the riches, while a big movie company like universal studios have the riches not only from sales of the dvd movies itself, but also theater sales.

15. mrabbo

mrabbo Active Member

I'll download anything available on the net, I pay my ISP fees I think that covers it. I'm not getting anything for free. The record companies should get a cut in the ISP profits then if they received cash for people using the net to download their crap then they would stop complaining.

If You walk down the street and find something on the street and pick it up, you found it, you havent stolen anything. On the same note, I find things on the net to download i dont or never have stolen anything. I have simply found something and got it.

If I find it, I'll get it.

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i dont see downloading is illegal because no body loss anything, and dont tell me the crap like it take alot to make a movie and stuff cause people like my self still watch movie in the cinema but its only apply to good movie, crapy movie is not worth to spend any cash on it....much like games....

and go hell for those try to compare downloading to other crimes, because all other crime involve someone lose something that they earn to someone via force, while downloading is more like cloning, the movie makers or cinema doesnt loss the whole movie like other crime.

17. ultra

ultra Guest

it's not even a perfect 1:1 clone. it's more likely cropped, you either get the whole disc but reduced [low video rate and such] or you only get the movies with no menues and missing stuff.

18. Aegix

Aegix Well-Known Member

:p I download for 3 simple reasons.

1) To test the games. This has saved me a TON of money. I would NOT have wanted to pay for Star fox command (for example). If I see a game that I am convinced is worth it, without trying it I will buy it instead of pirating.

2) for conveniance. I like having 13+ games on one conveniant card, rather than have to lug all those games around in separate cards. If I have 1 card, it's harder to lose too.

3) I have a lot of touble actually BUYING games. I do not have a job yet (so I can't afford to buy every game out there) and the nearest game-selling store is a 20 minute walk away. And of course, some games, while definetely being worth the money, are almost impossible to find (Atlus games, specifically)

...So, if they made a system where I could download free demos, and then pay to get the whole game on one conveniant card, then I wouldn't pirate.

...and I'm putting most of the money I'm saving into buying a Wii, and games for it. :p So there's not too much loss there.

So, until a better system for selling games is developed...YAR!

19. mrabbo

mrabbo Active Member

For me to buy a game it has to be at least as good as civilization ive bought that game a dozen times over the years, every single update ive bought, first was civ then civ2 then civ2 test of time, then civ3 then civ 4, then civ warlords then beyond the sword. Yes I have bought them all because they are worthy.

20. accountname

accountname New Member

i'm a pirate a admit so who cares, i download tons of games:ds games,psp games,movies,music(who hasn't), why i'm downloading a game right now..point is it's way cheaper to download games to a small convient 4gb memory card instead of watsing money and carrying around like 50 seperate game cartiges(sp) and having loads of games to take everywhere with u, u can easily lose some.