1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to move $MFT and other crap to the end of the drive?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by insanecrazy07, Sep 23, 2013.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I'm having issues with one of my NTFS partitions where it automatically slaps $MFT, Usnjournal and other unmovable files to the 30% mark of the drive. This, coupled with Blizzard's stupid way of grouping all of its smaller files into one big, obnoxiously fragment-prone file, like expansion1.mpq, expansion2.mpq, sound.mpq, texture.mpq, makes those files fragment because it hangs up at that particular point where the MFT and other shit is.

I'd like to move all of that unmovable crap to the end or the front of the drive so it can write continuously without fragmenting.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You cant move it, its the master file table that contains the contents of the drive, it needs to be located in a fixed location so it can be found.

3. insanecrazy07

Luckily, all of the files are under 4 GB so I formatted it to FAT32. Much nicer.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

thats likely to cause trouble at a future point in time. Fat32 is nowhere near as efficient as ntfs and much more prone to fragmentation.

5. insanecrazy07

The only thing on this particular drive is WoW. Very little file movement if at all, provided that I put Auctioneer and Gatherer towards the end of the drive where there's free space for it to expand its data.

I got sick of WoW fragmenting (and re-fragmenting) with the rest of my files on one big drive so I gave it its own drive to keep all of the files in one place, undisturbed by other files.

Besides the auction scan data, and gatherer (when adding new nodes), those are the only files that fragment, which I'm okay with.

And really, if it does happen to fragment heavily, I basically treat it like flash memory and just delete/reformat and copy all of it back over again. I have a backup on my 64 GB SD card, which doesn't ever move files because I solely use it to store backups of stuff.