1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to grab an IP through bittorrent (Education)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tapwatah, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its not necessarily accurate though. My ISP usually comes up as london, when its not based in london.

2. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

All I'm saying it might be a little fun to see where people using bittorrent are.

3. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Using those IP traces can give you a general idea, but they aren't neccessarily accurate. When I do mine it says I'm in Melbourne, which is true enough, but that's not technically where I live. I live in Greater Melbourne, about an hour away from the city itself. That's a fair distance off, and I know my first exchange is closer to my house than the city. If you're really worried about people "1337 h4x1ng" you install a physical firewall - or build one using smoothwall.

4. tapwatah

Well, yeah, mine says not my real city, but the largest one closest to it because that's where the ISP station is.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Fine enough by me, I really only need to know the country so that I can target ads properly to maximize revenue.

6. tapwatah

Oh my god...

7. Seph

Not like it matters to the end users, either you see "Buy real estate in [Insert random country]" or you see "Buy real estate in [Insert your country]"

8. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Fixed that one for ya Seph :) :p It's weird, because sometimes those type of ads on torrent sites can actually get my suburb (which is pretty small) or at least one next to it.

9. Seph

Problem with that is that I've set it to not allow adult advertising.

10. tapwatah

Yeah, torrent sites do that alot. Glad romulation doesn't.