1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to edit text in Pokémon Black and White

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Rykin122, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

No suggestions if you are meaning to use an Online Translator. Even bablefish and MSN Translator are crappy too. As they have limited ability to translate properly and unable to break up conjoined words. Best is you buy a proper software dictionary or use a dictonary (book). Slow...yes...but its far better than using online facilities. It would do you better if you posses basic Japanese knowledge, otherwise it will be an obstacle.

2. sajon123

sajon123 Well-Known Member

can i edit the main screen where is say press start can you edit the page so you can put your own picture on.

3. Prectorian

You need to extract the file in a/0/2/6, then edit it using tile molester or crystal tile editor 2. But you need to know HEXdecimal to do the editing.

I took the simple approach cause I don't understand HEX, I simply replaced the a/0/2/6 version made by projectpokemon and change it with the original JPN version so that in now show GameFreak.

4. adamgm10

adamgm10 New Member

Ya I was thinking about that. I was trying Microsoft word 2010 but it horrible too. So I ll try to find a book!

5. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Can you use this program to translate other roms?

6. Joseg1320

Joseg1320 Well-Known Member

I tried editing the .txt files but then when I go to "Import all from files" the text changes back to original. I have to edit the text inside the PPTXT program for it to work.

7. buttermaid

buttermaid New Member

Thank you, great tutorial!

A few questions:
    - how do I edit/replace the font to accommodate "foreign" letters, like æøå?
    - I tried this on an English rom instead of a Japanese one, and it seemed to work OK. Will I encounter problems?
    - will this procedure work on other games as well, or is it tailormade for black/white?
    - will the 0000 and 0001 folders work independent of rom language/version/patch?

8. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Good question, But i think so!

@Rykin122

link is down can you please reupload is possible ?

9. teamozie

teamozie Member

link is down.. would like to get that app as i have the rest

10. pikalax1

pikalax1 New Member

I apologize for bumping this thread, but it merits saying: This tutorial works for Black2 and White 2 as well! The file structure, as far as I can tell, is identical to Black and White. Same should follow for the October US release.

11. Alucard-sama

Alucard-sama New Member

Hey guys, I've got a problem that I would REALLY appreciate help on. Seriously, you have no idea how many hours this will save me if you guys can help.

So when I view the text inside PPTXT, it's perfectly separated in to lines based on individual vocab or sentences. This is exactly what I need, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw this. Unfortunately, when I export it, it exports into a text file with no new lines. So it all becomes a one or two line mess of Japanese text, which I need to place new lines in all over again. There's no telling how long that will take me.

Isn't there a way to export the text the way it is. Separated by line? I would be soooo greatful if somebody could point me in the right direction to getting this done. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet with every bit of vocab and every sentence so I can study them in preparation for playing the games in Japanese. I've spent days on this so far, but if I could just get it to export the way it shows it in PPTXT then it might only take me a few more hours!

12. Prectorian

Your intention is to find out the pokemon's names and moveset names in Japanese-English?
    Then no point in doing what you're trying to do;
    1. COMPLETE LIST OF POKEMON NAME IN ENGLISH-JAPANESE
    2. COMPLETE LIST OF POKEMON MOVES IN VARIOUS LANGUAGES

As for dialogs, what for?

Why would you be preparing to play the game in Japanese? When the English version is very much the same, and already available for so long. Doesn't quite makes sense on your motives as claimed.