1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do you Pronounce "pwned"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trimbletown, Jul 2, 2010.

1. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Oh my god! What a discovery!

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Because. You didn't have a strict AP English teacher like I did. :p

American Soccer is played nothing like European Football is. :p
    American Soccer is just people kicking a ball and calling fouls on each other all the time like a pansy.
    European Football isn't played the same.

Well, either way, internet lingo is pretty stupid to me. XD

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: How do you Pronounce \"pwned\"?

"Pawned" is a chess term, I accept that being used (I use it).

It makes sense, your gonna do some damage with a pawn in chess.

When used correctly :p

Let's ask...THE URBAN DICTIONARY!!!
    Post Merge: [time]1278092448[/time]
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned

So it's from owned...but pawn works.

4. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

Or have you just been brought into that state of mind? That's the question you must ponder.

5. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I can't find this having more then one way to say. As earlier stated, basically, it's a typo, or maybe just something that caught on for a faster way to say "YOU JUST GOT OWNED!". Even the creators of Modern Warfare 2 have accepted it as "powned" though obviously spelled pwned, pwnd, etc.

The way it came about was not through reference to any piece in a game of chess. I've actually never heard pawned in internet skits or anything. To make it that much worse, pawned is an actual word, while pwned is in no known dictionary (Urban Dictionary doesn't count).

Basically, there more than likely is a correct way to say it if you decide to verbalize it, and even if you hate it, it's probably "powned".

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I like reason 6 though, it agrees with my chess theory.

No, I just happened to have played chess.

This is my own choice and belief, no one even bothered to explain this crap about the origin.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Actually pawned to me sounds like someone going to a pawn shop and pawning it for a loan or wanting to sell it. :p

8. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

You can't "pawn" another piece in chess.
    Whuzzahuzzat? Isn't the WORLD cup going on right now? Surely they can't be bending the rules for every country that plays...

Either way, pwn is long dead or at least will be. Everything that makes it into the mind of an annoying twelve year old needs to die.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I dunno.
    I just can't stand to see college and high school teams play soccer...it's so boring...even to play it.
    I like the action of the big league football!
    I know that the US Team plays it like the Euro teams, but the game that's played by the younger people is different and that's what I hate.

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

LOL

You have a point, but to (sorry-been ages since I played) own your king with a pawn, your crap :p

11. awesomebros

I'm sorry, but Idunno if you know what you're talking about anymore.

12. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Executive decision. It's "pown", sorry guys but it makes no sense to add an A that doesn't exist. Pwned is a mutation of owned so there is no A. There, Seph has decided, let there be light amongst these misguided souls.

13. LuckyTrouble77

There ya go Hypnos, this is the only way! :p

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

:(

[me=hYpNoS]flees from madness, covering his ears and screaming "LA LA LA LA"[/me]

15. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

yea its pronounced "poe-owned"

it means "part-owned" :to kill someone and have half of your health/life left

own: means to kill and not take any damage

im surprised that people even ask this anymore i thought it was common gaming knowledge by now :D (not to sound rude)

16. awesomebros

What the hell have you been smoking?

17. LuckyTrouble77

Ummm....people just use "pwned" to describe any situation where they own somebody and want to use pwned instead. There are no rules to using those words. :/

18. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

no, believe me what i said is true.. most people may say pwned out of ignorance but seriously it means part owned any old school halo or half-life player could tell you that. :p

19. LuckyTrouble77

Well, this isn't old-school. I guess it's used far more loosely now, as people don't care. At all.

Internet 10 Years Ago < Internet Today

20. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Moderasian's Official Book of Grammar recognizes two proper pronunciations of "pwn."

1. Pown. Rhymes with "own," but with a P in the front.

2. Own. Since "pwn" is technically a misspelling of "own," it can be read simply as "own," as if the P were an O.

Never use these pronunciations: pawn, poon, poun(d)

Etymology: Pwn is a misspelling of own. That is all. Don't make up some crap about the word. Therefore, nu885 is wrong, simple as that.