1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do we prove that we exist?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by 1Blacks1, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Never mind, I checked my last posts, and found the board... it said nothing was posted in 120 days... what's up with that?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

table crash on the database last night. Fixing it obviously screwed a few things up.

3. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

4. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

5. gaynorvader

I just did, you saw my post, replied to it, therefore I exist. My interaction with the world and your ability to interact proves that I exist, even if it is all in my head, it is still existence.

6. Loonylion

unless you're a bot?

7. CloudBoy101

Yes, but all this interaction is because we're using the internet......maybe we're all connected to a super computer controlling our life's as we see it :p

8. gaynorvader

Then we exist, even if it is only through the internet. I play games on my computer, download ROMs, they exist don't they?

9. Loonylion

technically no, software has no 'existence' as such because it is intangible.

10. CloudBoy101

0's and 1's man, 0's and 1's........

11. gaynorvader

if you can interact with it, then surely it exists, it can change your mood, your perception of time and your knowledge. Surely that means that it exists, even if only as magnetic charges on a disk?

12. CloudBoy101

Would if I had a dream with a person that died? I would be interacting with them, it would change my mood, so forth, so on. Does that mean they exist? Nope.

13. gaynorvader

So dreams don't exist? When you think you dream, you don't actually have a dream? Just because you can't touch something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

14. CloudBoy101

Okay, don't even start suggesting that dreams exist, they're obviously just random memories put together by our brain and nothing more.

And I wasn't asking if the dream existed, I was (rhetorically) asking if the dead person did.

15. Loonylion

Not random. If they were random it wouldn't be possible to have recurring dreams.

16. CloudBoy101

Well I guess they're really put together by your subconscious. I can't recall ever having a recurring dream before.

17. gaynorvader

So you don't believe your thoughts exist? That when you wonder "Do we exist?" You're not really thinking it? Surely by trying to prove that you exist, proves that you exist, on some level anyway.

18. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I heard about a theory saying that they is another planet and on that planet, there are people that look exactly like us and doing the exact same things that we do. I heard about it, but I dont believe it

19. CloudBoy101

Trying to prove that we exist is like asking George Bush to recite the Constitution, it can't be done.

20. Loonylion

or asking him the 10 commandments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.