1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Horror Movies - How it affects you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damanali, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

Huh...? I thought those were comedies...

2. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

They aren't?

3. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

The old movies are best, the zombie one where they are in the shopping mall is awesome, the remake is piss poor in comparison. I cant remember the name, theres loads of dawn of the dead, day of the dead, night of the living dead etc its something like that.
    Poltergeist and amityville originals are good and scarier than any modern film ive seen

5. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but Zombieland scared the living crap out of me! (lol sarcasm)

Honestly, I can't watch anything with Shock Horror in it (The Jumping out kind). I literally jumped out of my seat when the girl appeared on the tv in The Ring. Otherwise, I'm pretty much fine with any amount of gore/human suffering in a film. Also... I can't stand suspense at all.

6. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

I hate today's horror movies. I was really hoping the latest Freddy movie was gonna be good but it ended up just trying to make you jump outta your seat by playing a really loud noise, instead of scaring you with visuals and intense moments, you're scared because of a loud bang or crash of some kind... fucking dumb.

7. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Don't you mean pun? Or is Zombieland a bad movie?

This is usually me when I see horror films.

[me=Stanley Richards]enters the theater.[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]sits down and watches the movie[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]quietly leaves and goes home without talking to anybody or anyone[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]goes home and goes to my bed and screams while holding the pillow up on my face[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]gets up after 5 minutes of consecutive screaming[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]goes to take a bath[/me]
    [me=Stanley Richards]goes back on his bed and continues screaming till asleep.[/me]

Post Merge: [time]1280214681[/time]
    Like that infamous scary maze game with the loud noise? I was only scared by the noise, not the face.

8. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

I easily get scared but I have to agree that some horror movies only crept me out because of the suspence and nothing else. I and I did honestly laugh while watching Paranormal Activity. We were watching it with a group of friends and like we were all laughing by the end. I think that movies Like Zombieland is a great example of what you guys say that the horror movies of today are comedies. I think it was a great movie and that horror movies would be better of that way than trying hard to scare you. To me I think the Scream Series was a nice horror movie franchise despite the gore. I recently thought of watching it again and I already watched 1 and 2 again and they were surprising. Maybe its because I loved the actors in it and that most of them are well known. I'm gonna watch 3 this weekend Can't wait for Scream 4.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

When I think back the only movie that really got to me was Arachnophobia as I fucking hate spiders with a passion.

10. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

There hasn't been a good Western horror in decades. J-horror however, the list is endless.

Ring (and the sequels)
    Ju-on (and the sequels) <-----Highly Recommended
    One Missed Call (not so much the sequels)
    Dark Water
    Kairo/Pulse <------ Highly-er Recommended
    Noroi/The Curse
    Marebito
    Suicide Club
    Retribution
    Loft
    etc.
    etc.

11. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Just gonna put this out there, Zombieland is a comedy. Anybody who tried to put it in the horror genre has either never seen it, lacks a sense of humor, or saw an incredibly small amount of the movie. I'm still trying to figure out why it was even brought up. :/

12. Kargan3033

Kargan3033 New Member

I must say the horror moives in this day and age suck ass.

The oridgnal Dawn Of the Dead and the other fine works by Romaro are classics! I use to watch a lot of horror/SF moives when I was much younger and I have seen some good ones and some bad ones but in this day and age horror/sf moive are pitful, they rely to much of CG FXs then the old classic special effects that really made the moives of their times the ones that I enjoyed the most.

I loved the Evil Dead movies because they were so damn cool.

13. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

I just noticed this, when they make a remake of the horror movies, they feel empty. Maybe because we are more learned nowadays.

In the Late 50's to 80's, there are a few learned people. Not everybody has a computer that you can google this and that. Zombies where a new thing back then. Cannibalism was not yet fairly known to conservatives and scared the shit out of them. If the genre is new and not been done before, if will look cool.

Look at 3D and HD, they are new and people think its cool, but after a decade, I bet, they would be looking at a boring angle.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Hopefully Sam Raimi makes another horror movie like Drag Me To Hell, which is probably one of the best horror movies today that many people haven't seen. Shaun of the Dead is awesome but I'd barely classify that as a horror, it's moreso a romantic/comedy with zombies and a dismemberment scene.

Imo Bill Murray made Zombieland ten times better, other than that, it was average. :\

15. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Shaun of the Dead was a comedy.
    Zombieland was a comedy.

Remember, all because it has zombies doesn't mean it's a horror film. Also, I really enjoyed Zombieland. It was hilarious, and it had Emma Stone in it. That is a pretty fantastic combination for me.

Drag Me to Hell wasn't too terribly scary. Sam Raimi is awesome, but he has a very distinct style that I have issues taking seriously anymore. I have to say though, the old lady in that movie was scary as hell.

16. Corriger

Corriger Well-Known Member

... The Final Destination movies make me a little paranoid whenever I see them.

17. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

I recently saw a plug for a movie (forgot what the title was) and they said that they were trying to make a horror movie with absolutely no GORE in it.

I, for one, am very curios and eager to see this movie when it comes out. A lot of supposed "horror"movies are all blood and no blood-curdling.

Also, If anyone knows anymore information about this please share with the rest of us.
    FYI, I saw the plug in a coverage of COMICON.

18. HunterKiller_

HunterKiller_ Member

Amazing that 'The Exorcist' hasn't been mentioned in the thread... Do yourself a favour and watch it.
    Movies like SAW are sad excuses for 'horror' or even a movie in general. Just the fantasy of some sick prick with too much money.

For you Lovecraft appreciators, 'At the Mountains of Madness' will soon be in the making, directed by Del Toro. He hasn't done horror before but he's a good director, so I have high hopes for this one.

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I agree, and I'm confused why both Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead are in this topic. Even though there's some violence and a couple of cheap scares in each, they're definitely not horror.

I love Sam Raimi's style, it works well in his horror movies (not so much in Spiderman 3) and action movies (I LOVE Darkman). Evil Dead 1 was sort of more serious toned, and once you became immersed in the setting, it was creepy as shit, entertaining though. Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness is where he went nuts, although I wasn't a fan of Evil Dead 2 for some reason. I think Sam Raimi wants to make a fourth Evil Dead but Bruce Campbelle isn't up to it.

Drag Me To Hell is excellent, even though it's a cheesy storyline and just everything about it is just pure cheese, it's very entertaining and there's some genuine scares to be had. That woman is definitely scary, and that one scene where the main character lays down in bed and she's there, I freaked for some reason, I didn't expect it at all. Also the ending was cool too, even though I sort of expected it near the end.

It's definitely too bad that the cheese filled horror movies aren't that popular, it's a fun mix and usually isn't filled with gore all the time.

20. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

now i remember the horror movie/clip that really gives me the creeps.

Its the cat with hands.... i almost forgot this one.