1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help with motherboard for my new pc

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by narutoSS5, Mar 7, 2015.

1. narutoSS5

narutoSS5 Member

Well, I am going to buy a new PC.. So is it good to have a msi motherboard or I should see something else?
    Please, post your thoughts..
    Its 'MSI Z97 Gaming 7'

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it depends on what other hardware you're putting with it and what you want. MSI are generally a good brand, but you can't just say I like the look of that board.

You need to plan out what CPU you're getting, how much ram you want, what CPU cooler you want, what graphics card you want, how many USB2/3 ports you want, how many sata2/3 ports you want, what other features you need/want/would be nice. Then you find a board that fits what you're looking for.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Sorry to hijack this thread with a dumb question but...

...with today's computer parts technology can we already create Skynet?

4. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

I have to suggest shopping around first. When I got into pc's I bought too much because I didn't know the hardware well enough to understand what I needed. I bought something that only supported legacy hardware from the last time I started building, but later on as the months went by some motherboards actually get cheap (and they get cheap fast withing a few months or so). It is nice that there are good brand names but be aware that once a PC is built it could only do so much with its hardware.

If you have old parts that could be used for the new PC you are about to get, those could be used too. Not all motherboards can support old hardware though. Just keep looking for a high end user PC that suits your needs.

I didn't do that the first time around. I have a bunch of spare parts now all cluttered like garbage. Besides I never used to look into thrift stores that actually sold used PC's, I bought parts I never really needed. :-\

5. narutoSS5

narutoSS5 Member

So basically.. MSI is a good brand, so it will be good to buy it..Well, I'm buying a corsair vengeance 8gb ram, seagate 1 tb hdd, nvidia geforce gtx 650 2gb video card and obviously a Intel i5-4690k processor..

6. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

Yes, but I think "gigabyte" would suit you better.

7. Loonylion

I wouldn't suggest a seagate HDD, they're currently having reliability issues. Get hitachi (aka HGST) or western digital. Make sure the disk is sata II or sata III, 7200RPM and has at least 32MB cache.

just because MSI is a good brand doesn't necessarily mean its the right thing to buy. Why get a top of the line z97 chipset when you're only putting an i5 in it, for example? the z97 would work far better with an i7

Theres dozens of motherboards in the z97 gaming line, all of them intended for i7s. You're going to spend a fortune on a motherboard and then cripple it by putting a cheap i5 in it.

8. narutoSS5

narutoSS5 Member

Ok.. Thanks to all of you..

9. narutoSS5

narutoSS5 Member

Everyone, this is my new specs:-
    Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Graphics card
    HGST Black 1 TB HDD..
    MSI Z97 Gaming 7
    Now, is this good? Or should I change something else?

10. Loonylion

you're missing a cpu cooler, and if you go for a big aircooler (a good idea, i7s can run hot), you need to be careful about the ram, because vengence has tall heatspreaders that may not fit under the cpu cooler (large heatsinks invariably overhang one or two of the ram slots.)

You have no PSU or case chosen, also I will assume you already have keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

GFX card you can do better than a 750ti, we're reaching the point where a 760 or 770 will be minimum spec for some games coming out. You'd likely be better off with a 960 if you can stretch to that. Asus products are generally good, so nice choice on the manufacturer.

theres no such thing as a HGST black, did you mean a WD Caviar Black?

You have not chosen an optical (cd/dvd/bluray) drive.

11. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

nothing is ever good, only passable. take good care of your rig.

hope you have a massive psu, else it will either fry....or not work at all. and yes there is many brand name hard drives, its just not western digital, even though i like only use them hehe

*edit my mistake, they are actually apart of the western digital company. who would of guessed :p

12. narutoSS5

narutoSS5 Member

sorry, my bad..well it's wd. For psu its corsair 550W... And I just decided to buy an ASUS maximus vii ranger instead of msi..shipping problems..