1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Hardest RPG?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by basho1213, Sep 27, 2010.

1. basho1213

basho1213 Well-Known Member

any specific ideas?

2. managod101

managod101 Well-Known Member

Chrono Trigger and fight Lavos as soon as you have the option to go there? lol jk he's a bitch and a half to fight so early, hell even when you max out. i play it on the ds lite

3. basho1213

basho1213 Well-Known Member

alright ill do it. havent played the ds version yet

4. Dumachum

Dumachum Member

Der Langrisser on SNES is actually the easiest Langrisser game in the series. Warsong/Langrisser 1 is harder. As is Langrisser 2 on Genesis which Der Langrisser is a remake of. I haven't played the 32bit games in the series.

If you are looking for brutally hard RPG's regardless of platform i recommend...

Shadow Tower (PSX) - Related to King's Field and Demon's Souls.

Wizardry 8 (PC) - A game almost no one played when it came out but is without a doubt one of the top 10 games of all time. Extremely polished, tons of stats, the final chapter in a 3 part story started in Wizardry 6, and hard as a rock.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PSX2) - If you don't look up strategies for demon configuration and skill use you will die and reload 1000000 times before you finish the game. On the other hand if you know what you are doing it might not seem that difficult.

The Last Remnant (PC/360) - A great game despite what most people think. Learn to play, or die and log on to a message board and whine about how bad the game is.

and finally the real answer to the question posted...

Wizardry 4: The Return of Werdna (PC/PSX-J) - THE hardest game ever made. This game is part of the Wizardry series so you already know it's going to be hard. But at the time it was specifically made for only the most hardcore of the hardcore. This was in the 80's folks when all PC rpgs were pretty much hardcore to begin with. This game was made for vets of the Wizardry series only. You needed knowledge of the earlier games to beat it. The combat was brutal because you never gained levels, you had to summon monsters to fight for you (yes American PC games did pokemon thing 20 years before the Japanese). There was a ghost that followed you everywhere and if it caught you you died instantly. If the main character died you died instantly. Every step you took influenced your final score. The puzzles were ridiculous.

The kicker was it really wasn't an RPG like other Wizardry games. It was an adventure/puzzle game supremely disguised as a classic RPG of the times.

This game was actually remade and released as a combo disk on the PSX as "Wizardry: New Age of Llylagamyn" with Wizardry 5.

The difficulty of this game cannot be fully realized unless one bashes their head into a brick wall repeatedly by playing it until they truly understand that their worthless existence was never meant to finish it.

In fact if you can actually beat this game you are a FREAK and have nothing else to accomplish as an RPG gamer.

5. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Eh, both Littlekill and I beat Limitless Indalecio, Gabriel Celeste and Iseria Queen at around Level 200.

But yes, Star Ocean 2 is amazing.

If you want a BRUTAL platformer-RPG, play I Want To Be The Guy. I go back to it every few weeks thinking "oh, this will be cool, I'll get it this time". About five minutes later I've been reminded why I stopped playing and I yell "FUCK THIS GAME, MAN".

6. madcrazy2ks

madcrazy2ks Member

you should try fire emblem shadow dragon on 5 stars. I am interested in finding out how hard ppl find it. This is w/o exploiting arena.

7. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

ive heard that Demon Souls is the hardest RPG right now, the bad thing is that its only for PS3

8. xlordbr

xlordbr New Member

Phantasy Star 2.

9. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Etrian Odyssey
    Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
    Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
    The Dark Spire
    Final Fantasy III DS
    Final Fantasy IV DS
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Only because of one part where it's impossible without multiplayer)
    Phantasy Star 0
    InuYasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel (Not hard as in difficulty... But hard as in 'it's too hard to play without getting so frustrated at the encounter rate')
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
    Rune Factory Frontier

I mostly play DS games for RPGs, sorry. LOL