1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Halo Reach

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Joshbow, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

He said the game looks awesome not the best, in which I agree. I think the game look great, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There's some ghosting and fps leaks, otherwise, it's a good looking game.

Imo, Halo Reach does not have a well told story for one simple fact: characters. There's not a single moment I felt bad when any of the Noble team died (oh yeah they die, that couldn't be more obvious), why? Because we barely knew them, they died as fast as they were introduced. If you told me to point out personality traits for any members of the team, I'd be at a loss. ODST did better in this regard. The only character I was sympathetic towards was Noble Six (ie the player), having such an attachment to your character makes the game ending better and has more of an impact.

I also wouldn't say it's close to being the best fps.

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Is Halo Reach's multiplayer about teaming up with your teammates and ganging the other team? Or is it just walk around as a team member and find a lone guy to shoot? I liked TF2's art style and it's gameplay since it relys so much on teamwork.

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Both? It's reliance on teamwork is like this: Stick with a buddy/buddies, you'll win a majority of the skirmishes. Also the armor ability of armor lock (which make you invincible for 10 seconds or so), enforces a sense of teamwork if you use it correctly.

That all being said, Halo doesn't hold a light to TF2 in terms of a team working together, but it's better than MW2 in that regard.

4. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

I agree with you Natalie Regarding the Ending.

About the story, it's not the most well told story in video games.
    It's fine for me as I usually don't expect a strong story-telling from a pure FPS like Halo or CoD.

For hybrid FPS like Bioshock, I do expect a good story. It's because that kind of games has a history of strong narrative as can be seen from games like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

Of course there are exceptions.
    Portal, though short, surprises me with GLaDOS.
    Half-Life series is well told too. Though HL2 is not that good in my opinion with its cliffhanger ending.

5. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

The worst thing I think reach is armour It totally ruins 1v1 battles due to have out shot your opponent and he is just goes into hiding I really do hate it, also people that use sprint then double melee it really does have flaws.

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

1. That has nothing to do with armor.

2. If you die from an opponent who is going sprinting at you trying to melee, you're doing it wrong. A good way to avoid dying by a melee attack is, you get hit once, the guy will automatically try to melee again, if you were shooting him beforehand he should have lost a considerable amount of shields. So he hits you, when he's coming in for the second strike, avoid it by going backwards or whatever other maneuver you have, unload bullets into him, if it's safe to do so, you can melee or shoot for the kill.

7. lewis9191

Sorry I meant the armour lock load out and it is true about moving I suppose will just have to get better

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Still doesn't make sense, armor lock's function is not to hide. But to protect yourself, this is ineffective at 1 VS 1 situations since all it does is just stretches out the thought of incoming death.

9. lewis9191

What I am trying to say is, when I am playing 1v1 if they use armour lock you can either run of just wait to get killed by a grenade spamming friend, I suppose I just have had bad times in doubles, but I just think it is just a dirty method of going into a little 'ball' for however seconds while being invincible. :)

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

If used in doubles, I can see it working out if the teammate comes and saves his friend (which is what it's meant for in Slayer). But your explanation for the 1 on 1 thing still doesn't make sense to me, the guy is still going to die.

The only way he isn't going to die if the other guy is right up to him and the EMP blast from coming out of armor lock catches him and he's able to melee you and kill you.

It is good for delaying the inevitable on one on one, not good for anything else.

11. lewis9191

Like I said it must be bad experience, I personally don't like this halo as much 3 on h3 I was legit 45 and I thought it required lots of skill to kill, For some reason I feel they have made it more like cod and that is one thing I didn't want, don't get me wrong I enjoy cod but I don't think it required much skill with soh quickscopes and 1 shot burst assult rifles. I feel halo requires more teamwork. Maybe its my team that are letting me down. I sure this makes sense because your making me sound silly :p

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

CoD takes skill, just like Halo takes skill, they just take different types of it.

Halo and teamwork is incredibly rare and the game doesn't have a necessity for it, nor does it have the proper infrastructure to reward teamplay. A grenade or two can easily destroy a team by them simply sticking together unless using Armor Lock. If you want teamwork an coordination in Halo or any other FPS (including MW2), then you need communication by knowing where each player is and using that against the enemy, it works a lot better in objective gametypes.

If you want teamwork in your FPS, and properly rewards you for it, I recommend Monday Night Combat, TF2 and Battlefield. There's little reason for me to suggest that Halo is a game that supports teamwork to the level that the games I mentioned before does.

In fact, Halo has no rewards in terms of commendations and credits for team play. None, unless you count someone stealing your kill, teamwork. There's nothing giving you credits when you score a flag in CTF or anything specifying an objective. Which is incredibly sad and sucks, this is the thing that seriously impacts my opinion of the game. There's rewards for kills, none for securing objectives, which turns most objectives into a faux deathmatch.

13. lewis9191

Well I think I will I will try them games thanks, I really people that don't play the objective and not rewarding for actually is just plain dumb
    Ps did you change your avatar ?

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No.

As far as games supporting teamwork on the consoles, I recommend Battlefield Bad Company 2 and MNC (like I mentioned above). BC2, you don't need kills to level up or get points, and Kill/death ratio does not matter. I'm a medic a majority of the time and reviving and healing people nets you a lot of points. MNC combat also has the proper infrastructure in place to have and reward you for teamwork, and it's versus and horde type mode is like shooter and tower defense, it's fun.

I can't recommend TF2 on the 360 though, if you're able to get it on the PC though, I recommend it to the fullest extent. The PC version is so incredibly different and better than the 360 version, they might as well be different games.

15. allkratos

Yeah TF2 on PC is different from what it was on launch.

16. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

?? i am confuse how is it that halo reach does not have a good story. we all know what was going to happen. reach falls. what you think that noble team was going to live. i mean come on. o and traits lol that easy to look at with the first game play.

learn to think out side the box ok.

17. allkratos

It's not well told not because the noble team members die. It's because what Natalie said. You can't relate yourself with other members of the noble team apart from Noble6 (us) because they are new and introduced in the game and die in the game too. We don't know enough about them to have a sympathy for their death.
    Noble 6 is different as you play as him/her.
    Regardless, it's fine to me as I didn't expect anything mind-blowing story wise from games like Halo and Cod.
    Halo has an interesting lore, but most of the lore come from other sources like the novels.

In well-written games like Mass Effect 2 (though the plot itself is nothing to brag about), you get to interact with your crew members and learn their backstory, do their story-related mission. That helps a lot in strengthening your relationship with them, either love or hate relationship.
    It's the character's development and you having a hand in how the other characters relate to you make Mass Effect 2 a well-told game, even though the actual story itself isn't interesting.

18. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

maybe. but all in all the game is more about what happens on reach then noble 6 or his/her team. say the story is not good because you can not relate to the people is not a reason.

master chef was the last sparten. now tell me would it sound right if any one from noble team live.( there still noble 3 but i think they will make a dlc to tell what happens to him)

19. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Different and most likely better.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Not really, the game is focused on Noble Team's action on Reach, as opposed to all of Reach. If you read the books there's A LOT more than just Noble Team running around. Like Master Chief in space taking down a covenant ship and another Spartan team making their way to Dr Halsey if I remember correctly. For a game focused on a team, there's not much relateable with the characters, nor are they particularly interesting for the time you see them alive. If the game was longer, I'm sure the characters would have more personality, but it's just around 7 hours or so. There's no reason for me to care about anyone else.

If the game was more than just Noble Team, we would've seen more than just them, like Master Chief in space or Kelly with him, or the team making their way to Dr Halsey, but there's not. It's focused only on Noble Team, more accurately, on Noble Six.

Also, Noble 3 (which I think is Jun) is dead. He stayed with Dr Halsey, and in the books after the events of Reach, it explains that a Spartan III died protecting Dr Halsey.

And there's other Spartans alive besides the Chief, but if I remember right, they're stuck in the Shield world or some shit.