1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Hack WPA2 password WITHOUT backtrack5?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by necr0, Oct 29, 2013.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Entirely for educational purposes, but would one be able to say, crack my WPA2 password with just using a windows program and no livecd shit?
    Why I'm wondering is that my neighbour is currently interested in games at the moment, and after checking this I noticed downloads of BF4.

The thing is, no one has downloaded that and my neighbour isn't exactly smart when it comes to technology.
    So I get this feel that he's using my internet because his sucks (even via wifi i can get bloody good speeds on mine) and I'm just wondering how on earth he may have done it.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes its possible, and doesn't take very long if you have a good gpu (geforce 8xxxx or higher) and software that can use it. Why don't you just look in your router config, that should be able to show you everything thats connected to it.

3. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Unless someone in the family slip the password maybe by mistake, It would take 1 in a billion guesses .

He are she must be good, if only I could ;D

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Took me just 3 hours to crack my uncle's. He messed around with the password for his modem sign in, and WPA pass, and can't remember what he saved. I just needed to get my way into his modem page, and the rest was history. People tend to use words/phrases from things they are most attached to. You know; names of people they are closed with, pet names, historical dates in the family, jargons they like, default factory settings such as "admin", etc. Adding a bit of twist into it, such like changing certain alphabets with obvious numeric. Which is old fashion; but that's because people tend to use words/numbers/phrases they are most accustomed with to avoid forgetting, old habit die hard. Thus if the hacker knows you personally or at least had studied about you, it shouldn't be too hard to hit jackpot even without hacking tools. Even neighbors in this case. Which is why people.....don't ever use words/phrases that are too obvious as your password. Getting WPA/WEP key can be done through the modem/router's page without needing to temper with the WPA/WEP key itself, especially when your network is set to transmit wireless signals. :p

5. Loonylion

even brute forcing doesnt take long when you have hardware capable of trying a couple of million combinations per second.

6. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

MY WPA2 just got hacked!

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Oh dear God.
    How would he do it (send me via PM if you don't feel like it)?

Anywho, I took your advice and checked MAC adresses that were connected to our router.
    All checked out bar one which was a Toshiba computer. Which we don't have. I've filtered it and blocked it from connecting, but I can't change the password because there's too many devices in this house and my sister doesn't want to have to configure her internet settings again (lazy right?).

So yeah, if you could tell me how exactly he would've conntected, that would be great!

8. Jhon 591

Wow he must have some idea of somethink you may know, 3Hrs though that is good :) , wap and wep yes should be easy er .

I just wish someone would lay out for me how to ? :) they is one vunrable net work in ow er area password seams week , but yet can not crack it, seam like it needs a password but don't .

I need some think Orrible out of life, A bit of Free WIFI ;D , Just don't give a F*** !lol
    Post Merge: [time]1383132067[/time]
    And what is the right hardware are software should I say ?
    Post Merge: [time]1383132174[/time]
    I'm sorry 4 you.

9. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

No, he hasn't a clue about what I can do. But I'm no pro, not a hacker. Calling the internet provider doesn't help, they won't disclose anything even though I claimed to be him and even told them his subscription number. It was done through knowing the subject I was trying to crack (in this case, my uncle's habit and personal database), and pure luck.

There are ways on capturing the WPA/WEP key as it transmits far as I know. How it's done in detail, I don't know.

10. Loonylion

WEP can be broken through a weakness in the algorithm, you just need sufficient IVs to be able to derive the key (therefore the more traffic there is on the network, the less time it takes to break into). Basically when it was originally invented, the US government were afraid that they wouldn't be able to break into peoples' wireless networks and ordered the inventors to weaken the algorithm. They complied but ended up weakening it far too much.

WPA shouldn't be vulnerable to the same attack, but where you have a choice, AES is stronger than tkip. All Wireless devices should support WPA or be upgradable to support WPA with a firmware update.

WPA2 uses AES so has to be brute forced. WPA2 needs more powerful hardware than WPA/WEP so any devices that didn't support it when they were manufactured cannot be upgraded to use it.

The length of time it would take to brute force a strong password on WPA2 encryption used to be so long it was for all intents and purposes uncrackable. Unfortunately, GPU based computing has changed that.

11. Jhon 591

Yes he was very lucky :)

Anyway having some time of to, most of family down today as Dads birthday :) HB day dad ;)