1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Girl killed in out-of-control truck

Discussion in 'General News' started by necr0, Mar 28, 2013.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

R.I.P a girl, a persons life that did not need to end.

Source: Hearld Sun

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...why didn't I see this in the paper, I saw something about a 14yr girl mauled to death by 4 different dogs in Britain but not this...

Regardless I don't normally focus on singular deaths, people die everyday, in combat, for their lives in a struggle, starvation and cruelty, when you think about it it becomes overwhelming, what I do find odd is we see articles about individuals dying, be it rape (You obviously know the Jill Meagher and the other one that got sentenced recently ) violence or whatever but when lives are bombed, shot or asylum seekers drown to death it's easily...forgotten....

Don't mind me, its sad but I find more sad we focus on single person cases than mass deaths...I'll leave quietly.

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

This one is personal to me.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

To extend from this, it's much easier to associate and identify with a single individual than it is with a group. When a group of people die, regardless of the cause, because there are many of them your attention is split between them, and often the media do not provide as much information so they can be nameless and faceless to you. this makes it much harder to connect on an emotional level. With an individual, they are named, photographs are shown, and information is given, such as biographies, statements by friends and relatives etc. This makes it much easier to form an emotional connection and gives a sense of familiarity, even if you did not know the person and had never heard of them prior to their death. Then the factors that Data and Riker were discussing in the above quote come into play.

very sad news though, hope it really was an accident and not a case of dui/dangerous driving.