1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Girl-friendly PS3 games - a minimum of blood, gore, guts (do they exist?)

Discussion in 'Sony' started by tuna+egg, May 8, 2012.

1. tuna+egg

tuna+egg Member

Must have something to do with watching my cousin play Resident Evil 2 at night in a dark room, right before going to bed. Gave me nightmares for days. I was 13 and it was an impressionable age XD

No need for that, I am my own sandwich-making machine XD

I do like Tomb Raider (I play it on easy, though, on the impression that I'll get a minimum of bullets) so Uncharted may be up my ally. Is there a way to do the same on Uncharted?

Loonylion, Parasol, Natewlie, insanecrazy07: Thanks for the recs :D

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I personally like the Uncharted series for it's puzzles and Indiana Jones-esque feel. The gunplay sometimes takes away from it. I felt that it was a way to lengthen the game. For instance, you'll go into an area, kill some bad guys, then go into the next area, kill more bad guys, then the next area, more bad guys. Then puzzle. I get that same feeling when I'm playing RPGs and I just want to get through to the next area, and every two steps I get a random encounter.

And yes, you'll need to scavenge for ammo (especially in the first one), because you can run out pretty quickly.

3. Reider

Reider Modereider

Oh. The way you worded that made me think you never played it before. Probably missed some minor detail in another post knowing me though.

More on-topic: judging from the list provided, you should probably check out the Rune Factory games on the PS3 as well as Tales of Graces F.

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Considering it's you, am I allowed to take that line out of context?

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...as much as I like blood and gore may I suggest ico?

Its a puzzler platform combo, not long but its a nice game, look it up, its also part of the shadow of collossus collection as well but if you get a digital combo...

(although you can emulate ps2 games these days and ico/shadow of collossus were ps2 games just in hd now)

Other than that you may need to be willing to try games/demos and make own assumptions, unless you are like 12 or something gender bias'ing games makes it awkward...

(Also, I suggest battlefield 3, yes you go around shooting people but there is no blood or gore :p)

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The reason I'm saying that they're not good recommendations is because they're tailored to niche audiences, and for the special case of Resonance of Fate, fucking difficult and extremely steep learning curve.

It's like recommending Mount and Blade to someone or STALKER, they may be great or amazing to me but in no way shape or form it's going to appeal to everyone.

Of course.

7. insanecrazy07

There's a huge lack of polished JRPGs, and other than FFXIII (and XIII-2), Resonance of Fate is the only other JRPG that can compare. Yeah, it's a little darker, and yeah it's a bit harder, but that's really all you have. The only JRPGs left are most of the crap made by NIS whose only success is due to Disgaea (the first one). Trinity Universe has a bit of a learning curve, and Cross Edge is rather difficult, but I recommended them because they're lighthearted. However, they're nowhere near the quality level of Square-Enix or Level 5 (or Bioware or Bethesda) when it comes to RPGs.

Folklore is a little dark as well, but it is unique in genre that ties in action RPG elements with puzzles and mystery. And the fact that you can tie in pieces of the story through both vantage points of the main characters is pretty neat.

I didn't recommend Demon's Souls (or Dark Souls) for obvious reasons. It's dark, difficult, and most importantly, unforgiving. In any of the other RPGs, if you can't get past a certain part of the game, you can always retry, or go back and train up a little bit more.

@tuna+egg

I might as well just add the rest of the PS3 exclusives to the list, regardless if they fit or not. You bought or are buying a PS3, you might as well enjoy what the PS3 has to offer.
    Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper come to mind, although I haven't played either of them.

8. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Uhm dude yes there is.
    You can see blood if the bullets hit the body.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I have a large-ish tv and I see no blood...

If there is some tiny speck of it in the game I, a fan of violence, can hardly see it.

(Then again after spending 20 hours of resident evil operation racoon city I STILL cant see the blood as I blow zombies apart with a shotgun)

10. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

Valkyria Chronicles,
    White Knight Chronicles II [has first game built in],
    3D Dot Game heroes,
    Little Big Planet,
    Eternal Sonata,

Those just kinda pop off the top of my head... theres also The Sims 3 if ya need a serious time waster. Theres usually a level of violence in most games today, since that seems to sell best, You may be better off waiting for the WiiU to be released and get that. Nintendo family friendly games + HD content.

Though to whoever played FF13-2 how is it? >_> I played the first one and it just sucked on ice.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm playing final fantasy XIII and its not that bad. X-2 sucked, and XII was a bit mediocre.

12. insanecrazy07

The linearity of XIII sucked. XIII-2 is much better. It doesn't pull a freaking 180 like X-2 did with FFX as far as linearity goes.

The monster taming reminds me of Persona. That's why I like XIII-2 so much.

@tuna+egg
    Found another RPG series worth looking into, the Atelier series. Not sure on whether they're good or not, though...

13. tuna+egg

tuna+egg Member

@redmage & insanecrazy07: Thanks for the new recs. Am looking into gamespot and metacritic to check 'em out :)

14. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Hey, shoot an enemy with a shotgun when he's in front of a wall. Then examine the wall. Oh no! Blood!

15. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

You should get a game with lotsa blood and flying bodyparts.

16. Silentexe

Silentexe Active Member

I feel like I should suggest the Metal Gear Collection. I don't think there's much gore there. Drama, maybe. Also, there's still shooting, so, yeah.