1. This forum is in read-only mode.

GBA graphics used in NDS games

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by timmy1991, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally agree. There are still a lot of 3D DS games that are coming out, and they arent so crisp... One of my favourite 3D games for the DS though was Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

2. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to take Suidoken Tierkris (sp?) as my example
    Although it was simple and surprisingly fun the 3d graphics were AWFUL (so was the voice acting but thats a different topic)
    It would have benefitted GREATLY by having 2D battle sprites as opposed to these blocky things that looked like they belonged in RSC...

If your after graphics, go buy a PSP and stop complaining.

3. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally agree with you. The PSP does have better 3D Sprites than the DS, but I seem to prefer the DS' 2D graphics... I think Dragon Quest IX won't look as great, or maybe it'll look as good as DQM:Joker

4. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

Lawlz, your comparison is greatly overexaggerated. I assume you hate Disgaea 3, then.

I think I prefer these 2D games. Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, for example, would be nowhere near as good as it is had the thing been 3D. Phoenix Wright is another such game. Sure games like 358/2 Days and FFIV look amazing in 3D, the former of which is probably the best looking 3D DS game going, but I don't think even for a minute that every game needs to be 3D. I'd rather they weren't, since games like Order of Ecclesia look incredible in 2D.

5. grondylion

grondylion Well-Known Member

its for- different games that have differenbt style gamepleay and a ps3 with nes graphics way different to ds with gba graphics

6. DSaddictforever

DSaddictforever Well-Known Member

I agree, better to have 2D graphics than 3D graphics that suck and are laggish. (is that even a word...?)

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

But the analogy is the same don't you think?

8. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Sometimes, it's better to use GBA graphics.
    Like when you have lots of action on your screen, you won't get a framerate drop.
    Atleast not a big one.

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Like 2D? It's not very CPU intensive. Games which the usual VBlank FPS drops in are usually 3D like FFCC and DB: Origins.

10. Nintendophile

Nintendophile Member

When done well, the DS can pull off some pretty alright 3-D (kind of). Mario 64 DS comes to mind, as well as the FF games.

But, on the DS, you can usually get a lot more detail and fluid animation from a nicely made sprite-based game. Mega Man ZX as an example. Then again, I'm a sucker for a well-made 2-D side-scroller, so I guess my opinion is a slight bit biased.

11. waylonn

Nintendo is about the only producer making decent 3D graphics on the DS

12. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

The one thing I hate is when I download a rom from here expecting to actually spend some points and it ends up being a 8 MB or 16 MB rom. Looks like the developers just slapped that crap together and sell! sell! sell! There are some small games that are fun to play, but the one I was downloading was shovelware.

I don't mind 2d as long as it's done right. Same goes for 3d, although even the best 3d games look crappy. The new KH game is one of the few 3d games that I find 3d worthy. FFIV just wasn't sharp enough to be a good 3d game. Super Mario DS (The 64 port-ish looking one) was actually decent, and looked very similar to the original, and Diddy Kong Racing looked very similar to the original as well.

The best example I can think of is the old Street Fighter II game compared to the PSX Street Fighter that was 3d. Street Fighter II was an absolute gem, where the 3d one was total garbage, in terms of graphics and gameplay.

13. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

Huh? Did you forget Matrix Software...?

14. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Uh, FFIV produced by ^Matrix Software is probably one of the best examples of 3D work that I've seen. Also, the size of the ROM does not matter at all in your point.

15. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

oooooooooooooooppppppppppssssssssssssssss

Wow, is it really that late to mix up III with IV?
    I meant III.

16. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

sometimes graphics takes alot of memory (or so I like to think)

17. Vainone

Vainone Well-Known Member

Alexong is right in a way, graphics do take up more memory, so judging a game's calibre by the amount of space it takes up is rather idiotic. Gameplay isn't assessed in megabytes, sprites, backdrops etc take up MUCH more memory than text or intuitive battle systems.

Something to test out: Open up a word document, write about 100-500 lines, save it.
    Now open up another word document and insert a picture.

Look at the difference in size.

18. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

All I can say is Castlevania....nuff said!

19. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

As I have said time and time again, if you just wanted great graphics in the first place, why didn't you buy a damn PSP? I have nothing against the PSP, it's a good portable in its own merit. I knew what I was getting into when I bought a DS. It doesn't actually matter to me, as long as the game has playable graphics, at the very least. 2D games when done correctly are no worse than 3D games. Although for that fact, the best game with 3D graphics (not the best 3d graphics, mind you) was FFIII.

20. waylonn

I don't play FF, so..