1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Game engines, programming languages, etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by codemeister1990, Aug 7, 2008.

1. that's not that bad

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was meaning a lot of include files that come with the executable, such as heaps of .py files etc.

3. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

You can do some simple programming in C#, java or python, but when you get to more sophisticated stuff like 3D, you really have to get an engine and learn C++. The interpreted/managed languages simply have too much overhead to design a fast application. Python can be used as a scripting language in a game, but doing that is more like a feature of your game than a part of your game.

I like to use Visual Studio (2008), as it has nice intellisense and I don't have to mess with compiler settings too much. Just hit F5 and see if it works or not. VS2008 also supports C# and help you learn the IDE (where everything is), and then help you switch to C++ much easier, as the IDE is the same.

For 3D you might want to use a premade engine like irrlicht.

For RPGs, I dunno. If you prefer gameplay over graphics, I'm in favour of 2D stuff. Else, get some rpg maker.

4. anandjones

codemeister is still making a game with RPG Maker XP, so that shouldn't really be repeated.

5. I won't be going into 3D for a LONG time, years and years from now, if that ever even happens.
    I am still working on GOE (at AJ) and blah blah blah killing chickens blah blah blah random barbeques.
    But I would like to get a bit more complex, my long-term goal is a 2D mmo

6. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Well....C++ is the way to go if you want a career in making games...

But as a beginner language you'd probably want
    something a bit easier...
    Java or C#...

I'd go with C#...
    That way you can start making games almost immediately
    with the XNA framework...

And for some reason,
    I just ****ing despise Java...

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

apparently java is harder than C++, but either way its a bad language. Java programs are run in a virtual machine, which is effectively an emulation layer. As a result, java programs are very slow and inefficient, and only able to use the resources allocated by the java VM.

8. anandjones

Simpler would be best, Python, Ruby, Delphi etc., then harder. Mind you, I barely learnt Python and Ruby, just moved straight onto C++ with the help of some ebooks.

9. iamlegend

I wouldn't say harder...
    It's just, Java is so easy to hate...
    For some reason I always find it hard
    to motivate myself to code in Java...

Besides, C# is similar but superior in most ways ;D
    I like C#...

10. thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with C# now :) but I'm gonna work on RMXP for a while, and got life stuff to do :p
    and by ruby, I know rmxp uses something called ruby or whatever. is that similar?

11. iamlegend

It's the same

12. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

oh my god... and to think i want to take up programming... hmmm... maybe i still should

13. anandjones

RPG Maker uses the extremely easy and basic language Ruby, but they call it RGSS (Ruby Game System Scripting or similar).

14. so learning ruby would be learning RGSS?

15. anandjones

Yes different name for the same programming language.

16. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

How about writing down what your game should be able to do and how the story would be like. Then you can always look at it back later (when you're an awesome programmer) and design it in a few days.

17. I've written out parts of my game
    note : those are parts that I have yet to add lol
    well maybe I'll take up ruby then, its related to rmxp AND its easy right?

18. anandjones

Yes, it's extremely easy to learn and master, could do it in a few weeks if you're a hardout.

19. define...hardout

20. anandjones

Learning it for 8 or more hours straight everyday for a few weeks or months.