1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Game Download Restricted

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by BossBro, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Been done before by veteran members to substitute the restricted files on the MAIN DOWNLOAD SITE (see SHARE SECTION), but not with the mindset as you mentioned in the above.

2. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Yes I know about the share section.
    What I meant was creating another entire (hidden) RomUlation instead of just simply substituting the files or moving the IP adress. And by the way, Can the files on the share section be taken down too?
    Or are they takedown-proof ?

3. Prectorian

Don't think that's feasible or do-able.
    No they aren't permanent. They are subjected to the free sharing site's t&c.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Well we gotta find another way to save RU. Or the concept of free console games in its entirety. So, any suggestions?

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

There are no such things as FREE Console games for the truth of the matter is... this is entirely an act of Piracy, unless you only consider Free Homebrew titles of which there are few in numbers.

6. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
  7. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Guys this is a big deal.
    Someone start a thread named "Save RU"(Or "Save Piracy" or whatever.)
    Or something.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

RomU isn't entirely about Piracy, ICYDK :p

The site's main goal (for newer releases anyway) is for its users to have a chance to "try before you buy" so you can see for yourself IF said new game/s is/are worth your time and money.

As for games for older systems, which should actually be considered "Abandonware" by now (unfortunately their copyright owners wouldn't consider doing so :( ) , RomU is just offering 'em for posterity's sake. I mean how many of us are there who are into games for the NES these days? Moreso, how many are there of us on here are into obscure Japanese NES games that we only download because of English Fan Translations being worked on and released by ROM Hackers for them?

9. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

dude, anything that isn't literally the latest (which in this case would be X1, PS4, WiiU.) Is considered abandonware.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Not in the eyes of the law, which is what matters.

11. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Here's an almost similar discussion about piracy almost ten years ago: https://forum.romulation.net/threads/illegal-downloading.4967/

Unfortunately you can't reason this way. While an abandonware is thought (by many) to be "a game which is no longer sold by its company, in physical store or online", it's still copyright protected.

So for this emulation case, here are some examples (@Loonylion please correct me if I'm wrong):
    • Resident Evil 2 (PSX) isn't abandonware since Capcom still own the copyright to the game.
    • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) isn't abandonware since Nintendo still sell an emulated version of it on Virtual Console.
    • Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (GBA) isn't abandonware (despite its special features) since both FFI and FFII are released for other systems
    • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) isn't abandonware since it has a 3DS-remake
    • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) isn't abandonware since Nintendo owns the copyright to the whole Mario-franchise, which is why the game download is restricted on RomU
    You may wonder why Nintendo would bother with Super Mario Galaxy but not with Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES-version). I don't have an answer to that. But just because Nintendo didn't force RomU to restrict the game download of the NES rom (for now), doesn't mean that downloading NES roms is legal. But Nintendo did force RomU to restrict the game download of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, the NES game's GBA-enhanced remake.

For more information about abandonware, roms and law, please read the following articles:

The only time a game is legally free is when the copyright holder decides to re-release the game as freeware. Beneath a Steel Sky (the original PC-version) is an excellent example of this, although the game has a priced remaster version released for iPhone some years ago.

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn was released by EA Games as freeware in 2007. So does this mean its N64-port Command and Conquer 64 is legally free? It should be, but it's not written in stone.

And as Cahos said, RomU isn't entirely about piracy. That's why warez for example isn't allowed to be discussed on this forum. RomU primarily isn't a site where you can download games just because you don't want to pay for them.

Then it's a good thing that I care about them. They're still THE real games to me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You and me both LOL

I haven't even been downloading much on here anyway because I'm still currently hung up on PC gaming and Steam is my go to place for getting Legit games these days with their customer friendly discount sales promotions.

13. NintyRaccoon

That's basically the same for me. I occasionally return to old titles such as "Super Mario World", but I mostly don't have time to play games. Instead I'm trying to learn how to use DAZ Studio and Blender properly whenever I have the time.

I haven't been into Steam so much since my current computer is too weak for AAA-games. Do you like "Counter Strike Nexon Zombies", Cahos?

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Not really into the FPS (First Person Shooter) genre as well as any game using a first person point of view as I easily get lost when navigating within the games' world. Which is actually true in real life as well, which is why I am absolutely grateful for Google Maps and GPS tracking LOL.

I'm more into "Builder" type games like SIMCity 4 as well as Turn Based Strategy games like XCOM Enemy Within. And to be honest, am currently consumed by "Civ V", I know Civ VI is already out but people say it's not that good plus I've only recently got a hold of Civ V the Complete Bundle on Steam thanks to the Fall (Autumn) Sale.

I also like Point and Click Adventure games like the "Broken Sword" franchise (except number III) and this Christmas I got a hold of "The Blackwell" series on Steam, thanks to a sale again and had a blast playing 'em even though the series finale ending was an unhappy one.

15. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

@NintyRaccoon woah. That was a lot. I've read it all tho. That thread about piracy which you linked to, How about resuming it? Because Honestly, I think what we're talking about now has nothing to do with "Game Download Restricted"

16. NintyRaccoon

Honestly, what we're talking about has everything to do with "Game Download Restricted", especially your last questions/comments about abandonware, if RomU could host "free console games" and if some of us could start a "Save RU" or "Save piracy" thread.

Sorry if you thought the post was too long for you and took your time, but I was just trying to answer all of those questions/comments you had at once. I commented on why Super Mario Galaxy got a "Game Download Restricted" and reflected on why you can't treat "any game which doesn't belong to the latest console generation" (Super Mario Galaxy included) as abandonware. Are you really sure that my post has nothing to do with the topic at all, saher1175?

None of us like the situation we're currently in. If I had better connection and more time I would have downloaded all of those Wii games ages ago, so I'm on the same boat as you.

But the thing is (short version): the copyright holders own those games, so they always have the final say in this. If they temporary turn a blind eye, go and download them as fast as you can. Because when they suddenly force the RomU staff to restrict specific games, there's nothing else the staff can do but to comply no matter how much we protest.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I can't find the old thread (thank you Xenforo) but RomU has already underwent a "cease and desist take down" order before and for a couple of months the main site (Where we download games) was actually shutdown because of this. And obviously a lot members got pissed off and a few didn't even give a damn that the site owner (seph) and admin (loonylion) might have gone to jail... are you like that saher1175?

18. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

@NintyRaccoon Please forgive me if i was being rude.
    All i meant was the conversation is related more to the two words "Illegal downloading" than the three words "Game Download Restricted". that's it.

@Cahos Rahne Veloza, Wait. People can go to jail over Internet related bullshit?!
    I'm so sorry. I just never knew that. I mean, It's The Internet. I never ever take it seriously. I'd flip shit if they went to jail.
    Can we get back on the main topic now?
    Wait, what even is the main topic? I forgot. And btw i think i can't help with this cause i know absolutely nothing about laws or copyright or t&c and whatnot.

19. Prectorian

Maybe try looking under "Announcement", if you can't remember what keyword to use. Maybe this was what you were looking for? CLICK HERE

Many has/had been jailed for various reasons related to their internet/online activities.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  20. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.