1. This forum is in read-only mode.

forum restructure

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Loonylion, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Well, I and another staff members are fed up with people posting about games not working on their flashcart etc in 'critical bugs', so I have moved the Support category up a couple of places, hopefully that will encourage people to post in the correct board. More reshuffles may or may not be happening, I'll see how things go.

2. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Re: forum restructure.

Yeah, hopefully people will read the actual board description now. Thanks.

3. marcy

marcy Guest

agreed it's annoying

I hope people will think before posting

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Good job Loonylion, that will help me out heaps.

5. vhiznu

vhiznu Well-Known Member

restructure,,,
    well...im kinda confuse too when i first join the forum..
    thinkin about..this n that category is should better if joined together...and else
    more simple is better ;D

6. Loonylion

which categories should be joined?

7. b00bage

b00bage Member

Can't you just ban the idiots and kill two birds with one stone?

8. marcy

marcy Guest

How about kicking out the contest section, since all threads are closed in there and no regular member can start a new one.

It's dead. Bury it!

9. vhiznu

vhiznu Well-Known Member

sorry....late reply
    well..not sure...just too much sub-forum i think...with the same objective..like help..suggestion...etc
    i'm sure all the sub forum have a reason...but again if more people spamming
    then more hard to track...cause its to much topics to search.... :-\
    and archiving a dead (unimportant) topics (or just trash it hehee ;D)

again..just an opinion..its all up to you guys...

10. Loonylion

Update: 'Games, Jokes and Random' renamed to 'Forum games, Jokes and Random', and description updated. Hopefully this will stop people posting questions about roms/video games in there.

11. apophos755

apophos755 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will, but I doubt it. Noobs have an amazing way of being noobs. :p

12. acrox999

acrox999 Member

I confused just because of SMF. I didn't really like SMF anyway.

13. Loonylion

We use SMF because it is the best (most secure and easiest to maintain) free PHP based forum software available.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm not familiar with how these things work, but SMF seems to be simpler than other forum/board handling programs. I go to this local forum that uses vbulletin & it works so differently. Most notable is the annoying, "redirection" screen which usually opens before everything else. Say you posted a reply on a thread, it will show you this annoying page telling you your post has been submitted & you are now being redirected to it, as if you didn't already know that :p

But what I liked on that place was the emoticon system, unlike SMF where to generate a :) for example you'd type : ), there it uses this format :smile: & because of this, other emoticons exist. So typing :chopper: yields a smiley riding a motorcycle, :starwars: yields darth vader duking it out with a regular smiley with lightsabers & :whip: yields an emoticon whipping another dangling on a pole. And oh yeah people there don't abuse emoticons as they know they're there just for fun.

15. Loonylion

VBulletin is not free, however we are planning on switching to it as SMF seems to be developing problems due to the number of registered members we have.

The smiley system is the same on both VB and SMF, we have not installed any extra smileys beyond the basic ones. If we installed an extra pack or two, the syntax for the smileys would follow the same format as the VB smileys as that is a standard format.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Well if you're gonna switch over to vbulletin then I have faith in you. I know you can make it worth better than what I've seen so far *cough* annoying redirect page *cough*.

If the standard format is as you say it is, then how were they able to pull off that wacky emoticon system? And yeah the format was weird but awesome though :thumbs up:

17. acrox999

acrox999 Member

You should try MyBB too. Smiley system is same like vB. No spacing after a word. You can check it out at http://mybboard.net And also, some reviewers said it's a vBulletin clone but with more features(I think, I don't remember). And it's free too.:D

And oh wait, the Quick Reply system uses AJAX system so no need to redirect page after you click the "Post Reply" button. It just appears "Loading Please Wait..."

18. Loonylion

:smiley: is standard, as are [nobbc]:)[/nobbc] etc for the basic smileys. We only have a basic set, vbulletin ships with much more than just a basic set and new sets can always be installed by the admin.

We will not be using an unknown forum program with an unproven security record. Especially not one that uses AJAX, as it is a huge performance killer and not appropriate for use on forums.

19. acrox999

acrox999 Member

Unknown you said?! No it's not... And you said using AJAX is a performance killer??? No it's not... The AJAX system is only in the "Quick Reply". I don't think it's has bad security.... Anyway... You're the admin, you have the rights to choose what forum software you want, as long as RomUlation will be the best.

20. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

Great job on the restructuring, but it seems that people will always keep making mistakes when deciding which area it is that they are supposed to post in. Every once in a while, you check the threads and there you find some thing that does not belong(Or in other words, a disturbance in the force). What else do you have in place or will put in place to stop this from happening? I know it's more frustrating for you guys to deal with when people keep messing up the threads by posting stuff where they don't belong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.