1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FMV ripping

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by cjfc.vp, Mar 8, 2007.

1. cjfc.vp

cjfc.vp Well-Known Member

i really want to rip the FMV's off Kingdom hearts II so that i can watch them on my computer. Is there like any program that can do it for this game because i have tried some FMV extracting programs and they don't work for me.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I play the PS2 through my analogue capture card and hit record at the right time :)

3. cjfc.vp

cjfc.vp Well-Known Member

Tell me more about this capture card. I have never heard of it.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its a piece of hardware for capturing video and audio from an analogue source (VHS, camcorders, games consoles) on to a computer. They come in all different forms, I have a PCI one, a USB2 one and a PCMCIA card one (for a laptop). Some can be cheap (my USB2 one was £99, not the cheapest, but its a very good one aside from overheating every 90 minutes of use) by contrast, my PCI one is a professional one and cost £1000 when new (half the cost of the rest of the computer put together).

My USB2 one is a Pinnacle Moviebox USB. I would not recommend them; the hardware is pretty good, but it is let down by crap software that takes a huge amount of disk, is nigh on useless and fucks up the computer. In addition, the hardware is locked to only work with that software. the capture window is also tiny.

My PCI card is a Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme pro. While matrox are world leaders in video capture, the hardware is plagued by deliberate incompatibilities with non-Intel based systems (They admit to deliberately locking out AMD users). On top of that, you really need to be serious to spend that kind of money.

the PCMCIA card I can't tell you anything about; it came with one of my laptops. It is damn good though.

some manufactures to check out for this kind of kit: Avid (NOT cheap) Dazzle, and others. Make sure it does analogue capture, not DV. It should have 3 coloured sockets like your PS2 probably has plugs for (red white and yellow)

EDIT: looks like Dazzle are owned by Pinnacle, who in turn are owned by Avid. Fuck :p Avid are still good though

EDIT 2:

My model cards:

Pinnacle moviebox:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro:

[​IMG]

5. kuponutz

kuponutz New Member

Otherwise, you could get all of them here
    http://bluelaguna.net/movies/kh2/fmvs.php