1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FF XIII RANTZ...

Discussion in 'Rants' started by allkratos, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

2. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

But that doesn't mean your attack without waiting will cause damage on the particular enemy. Take Zelda bosses as a example. They have a single attack where your damage cant do jack "shoot" about it, or even cause damage. Real time rpgs aren't real time. Attacking 90% of the time without waiting is not real time.

Also, I don't play Mass effect cause my pc is not powerful enough to play many recent games.

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Except Zelda isn't an RPG rrr. Even then, you're still able to move freely and play around with whatever attack you wanted at the same time. You're still able to do things in real time and not have to actually wait for your turn to choose an attack or waiting for your character to attack. Playing a turn based RPG is moreso mostly telling the character to do what you want. Meanwhile a real time RPG is that you're playing as the character.

Your definition of a real time RPG is severely flawed. Any game requires waiting, and in all real time RPGs you have the option to attack given the game restraints, but you're still able to move freely at the same time (Secret Of Mana had you wait a second when you attack with your sword, but you're able to move where you want to go).

The definition of a real time game is that the player(s) perform actions simultaneously as opposed to sequential units or turns.

4. Rod182

Rod182 Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. Looks like someone never played the Mario RPGs or Mother 3!

@ topic: Yeah, FFXIII is a linear un-fun mess, but I'm really surprised most people didn't know that until after it was released. After the FFXII backslash, wasn't it obvious they would focus in the ones that drew people the most?
    Take FFVII's CG-pack and visual style, mix it with FFX's linearity and "our game only exists so you can see the story" design, strip away all the player's freedom, and you have FFXIII.

Also, FFXII is fantastic.

5. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

Hell,even real life requires "waiting",anything bound by the law of classical physics requires waiting,unless you're an electron-which is govern by Quantum Mechanics....
    Even we have to wait for 8minutes for sunlight to arrive...
    BUT that's is not Turn-Based.
    Imagine Police and bad guys exchanging fires,the police has to wait for the bullet to hit his target,even though it feels like there is no time delay at all.He has to reload,but all happen in real-time,not because it is his turn to reload-it is simply because he needed to...In Zelda you've to wait after a hit on the boss-simply because of the game mechanics-and you can still run,circle strafe,until he there's a chance to hit the boss again,same with the police-bad guy situation.(all the happenings-even the wait are in real-time,there isn't a turn at all)

6. Stanley Richards

Uh hum! Bringing real life into video games.... Nice...

Natewlie defined REAL TIME RPGs really well.

7. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

My inclusion of real life events was to reinforce Natalie's definition.

8. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I've played the GBA and first DS mario rpg, Mother 3 sucked to me, i didn't like it.

Turn based RPG's are fine, so is FF XIII, i don't mind turn based games at all, it's just funny that the TC is complaining about a game when usually every turn based rpg is like it.

9. Stanley Richards

But couldn't you use video games as an example instead of real life? :p

10. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

Set gambits.
    Auto drive activate.
    Sit there.
    Hold forward.

Also a game being linear DOES NOT MAKE IT BAD.

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Even better than that was to set gambit to cast Oil, then cast Firaga.
    Curaga when needed.
    Initiate Boss sequence.
    Go make a sandwich.
    Come back.
    All done.

I like this game because I got EXACTLY what I paid for. I got everything I was expecting out of this game. I got my linear FFX-style game progression, class-based systems, an improved sphere grid, voice acting, cutscenes that are skippable, and ATB-styled battle sequences. The only thing I wish we had was the ability to control all three's actions, but at least they're smart enough to do the right things at the right times.
    And just like FFX, the game's sidequests open up after the initial linear progression has ended towards the end (or really, the half-way point if you include all of the sidequests).

The inclusion of whiny blonde main characters is getting a little redundant, going back to Tidus and Vaan.
    The story is good, but the characters are cliche archetypes. Then again, when haven't they been cliche archetypes? Whatever. I've seen worse voice acting in previous installments of Final Fantasy...

Final Fantasy always has to have that ONE character that nobody likes, ex. Cait Sith, that weird thing in FFIX, Rikku (I thought she was annoying), Vaan or Penelo, and now Hope, Vanille is 10x better than Hope, hands down.

What ruined this game for me is the inclusion of farming spots in specific parts of specific chapters. I read online about Chapter 9, 10 and 11 XP/Gil farming zones and I've spent well over 5 hours just farming Tetradic Tiaras and Crowns. I'm still saved at that very spot because I got bored of killing the same boss over and over and over. But I have 3 Sprint Shoes, a nearly maxed Sphere Grid or whatever it's called this time around, and a buttload of Gil. Maybe when I pick this game back up, I'll just continue the story. Being a perfectionist though, I have to do every sidequest available and that makes the story very sluggish and unenjoyable. I'm playing FF Tactics A2 and because I want to complete every single job class/quest, I drag out the story and it has ungodly long gaps in between.

12. hahahahaha

hahahahaha Well-Known Member

This is why I prefer the DS and PSP FF games, I dont really like the main series that much anymore...

13. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

Also, you cant complain about only controlling one character, with this battle system is would be impossible, its already fast enough just to control one, and the ai is decent enough to do what they are suposed to do.

14. Stanley Richards

It isn't bad but you feel restricted, especially if you're familiar with Dragon Quest for the NES.

15. Rod182

Rod182 Well-Known Member

It automated the repetitiveness, leaving it up to the player to interfere whenever needed because most strategies weren't flawless. The unexpected factor, especially during boss battles, could make you stay on your toes.

I find this take on the genre a lot more interesting than mashing the same button over and over, sort of like Kingdom Hearts, Rogue Galaxy or the Dynasty Warriors series. Gash, I can't stand these things.

Really? Most linear RPG's I've played that were excessively linear OR had no idea how to hide its linearity were pretty boring. I find that freedom (and not just of "where can I go", but also "what can I do" and "HOW can I do") is one of the greatest graces of the genre.

Action-adventure games are a whole another story, though.

16. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I did.
    The thing is, im that big a fan everytime a new game is released i buy it hoping its going to be a return to brilliance.
    I cant tell you how dissappointed i was with X. XII was better but still not close and XIII is the worst, i would seriously rather play the original on the NES

17. deanalexander

deanalexander Well-Known Member

Durrr. It is a Japanese game.

Also Hope is my male-waifu.

18. msg2009

If square made a new final fantasy in the style of the old games would it be better than whats out now or am i just wishing?
    take 7-9 for example (because their 3d(ish). If they were remade with todays technology, better graphics and voice acting.
    i think that style of game hasn't died yet and there is a massive fanbase just waiting for something like this to come along, instead of concentrating just on graphics, story and cutscenes give us a world to explore, things to do, sidequests, secret characters!
    FF7-9 got everything perfect in my opinion, an open world but not too open that you wander aimlessly for hours(oblivion) and not linear like FFXIII where your so bored you quit before you get into the story.
    It cant be hard to do, theres 3 templates there that just need to be applied with todays technology.

19. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/10/the-1-trailer-of-final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light/

20. msg2009

its a kids version of final fantasy from the looks of it. still, i'll buy it, i always do