1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Fear not the RIAA

Discussion in 'General News' started by Almo, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

P2P expert marks RIAA as incompetent
    Posted on 28.02.2008 at 13:42 in Tech News by Martin

One of the world’s top experts in the science of P2P file sharing has offered his harsh evaluation of the RIAA’s so-called expert witness report. With what can only be described as a good dose of Dutch courage, Delft University’s Assistant Professor Johan Pouwelse, dealt a devastating thump on the head to the music industry when he labeled the RIAA’s super expert, Dr Doug Jacobson’s report as ‘borderline incompetent’. Prof. Pouwelse is the same bloke who stopped the Dutch equivalent of the RIAA dead in their tracks back in 2005. In the UMG v Lindor trial, the RIAA claimed it had carried out its analysis with sophisticatedly advanced equipment and software which, it assured everyone, was never, ever mistaken. But now, Ms Marie Lindor has decided to fight back with a report drafted by her very own internationally renowned expert witness.

[​IMG]

In his report, Pouwelse writes that certain procedures that should have been taken to ascertain that a particular computer had been uploading copyrighted works illegally, weren’t taken. And, taking no prisoners, Professor Pouwelse goes on to say that Jacobson, a director at the Iowa State University Information Assurance Center, lacked ‘in-depth analysis’, ‘proper scientific scrutiny’ and that his reports were ‘factually erroneous’ and frequently contradicted his own deposition testimony. Going for the jugular, Powelse describes the systems and techniques used in the indictment of Ms Lindor as ‘overly simplistic’, Jacobson’s investigative process as ‘unprofessional’ and his methods ’self-developed’, ‘unpublished’ and unaccepted by the scientific community. He concludes by giving his expert opinion that Jacobson has shown ‘borderline incompetence’.

Source: The Inquirer

2. chaoslordsokar

chaoslordsokar Well-Known Member

Dude, like I totally get the point you are making. But the fact of the matter
    is that the RIAA and MPAA (Motion Pictures Association of America)
    are totally going all out in a search and destroy mission on piracy.
    It doesnt matter at all if 99% of the world knows what a dumbass
    Jacobson is, that remaining 1 % are the dudes that really matter, because those
    guys would be the movers and shakers in world power.

As far as I can see it, this isnt about piracy at all, its about
    dominance and control of the internet.The American government is
    milking this terrorism line for all its worth. They recently passed some
    new bills concerning telecoms, that allow american intelligence agencies
    (CIA , NSA )to monitor and log phone conversations and emails if they suspect
    you of being a terrorist affiliate, that includes international connections that
    pass through american servers, thats like half the worlds telecoms. And the shit is
    just getting worse.

The reason i'm mentioning this on this particular topic is that,
    I believe this is being ochestrated by the US government. If you
    wanted to really restrict and control information flow on the internet
    where would you look first, P2P's OBVIOUSLY. The RIAA and MPAA may be targeting
    users of P2P's now, but if the US were to pass some new bills that negate
    the terms and conditions of P2P's, or at least forces them to rewrite their T&C's.
    It's the P2P's who are going to get the shit kicked out of them. Hell the RIAA
    cowed Torrentspy into submission,the dudes filed for bankruptcy man. And thats after
    they banned ip addresses originating from the US from their site.I mean this could go
    cataclysmic if more P2P's start shutting their doors. Last I heard Googles Youtube
    is under fire from the MPAA for allowing copyrighted movies to shift through their
    servers.

My main statement is that people shouldn't be underestimating the RIAA and MPAA,
    they have the backing of most powerful country on earth. What I predict, is that
    the americans will use the RIAA and MPAA to stick it's nose into every online movement
    of data, And frankly I don't see any way we can stop them. The shits hitting the fan people,
    go buy yourself a shit-proof umbrella, and prepare to smell this one out.

[Source : My personal opinion]

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the US is not the most powerful country on earth. They think they are, but they aren't.

4. ian13456

ian13456 Well-Known Member

Piracy is bad but not for me :)

img]http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/cards/2262008/9baaccbb2e96c9f4ae0fec5db0e8c71d.png[/img

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Why not adding that image to your sig, ian13456? :)

I never cared much for those anti-P2P associations (call me dumb, please). I just take what I can, while I can. There are measures to take against them, and I know about them. I just don't feel like it. :p I might apply those measures some time later. Until then, I'll be downloading. :D

Two more thoughts: Powelse is da man, and the U.S.A. aren't in any way the most powerful country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.