1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favourite Books/Authors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jadin72, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

did you know cs lewis and tolkein were friends? they would share their ideas and junk, although they both had different visions of books they would publish.

2. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Time to revive this thing....

anyways, I've been reading Dan brown books, and trying to prove each puzzle, it's kind of simple though....

and I love the book Where the Red Fern Grows, must read :p

oh and does anyone besides me read Chicken soup? o.o I'm a boy too, I only read them because my older sister has a stack in her room, but those books are so interesting :D

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I used to read VM Jone's books, author of Karazan Quartet, read all four of them. Also, the S book, I found it in the school library (whole class goes to library once every fortnight), it has private terms hehe. Goosebumps is always cool :p Also, Patricia Cornwells like Predator, and Dan Browns Honeymoon.

4. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

First and foremost, Lord of the Rings series, by JRR Tolkien. First fantasy novel I've ever liked.
    And then the Ender's Game series (?) by Orson Scott Card, very interesting read.
    And the DragonLance/ Forgotten Realms series, though I especially liked the original DragonLance books and the Drizzt Do'Urden books.
    As for individual books, some I've really enjoyed are The Chambers (John Grisham) and the Life of Pi (forgot author).

5. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I thought the Lord of the Rings series was too bland.....but, hey that's me. Too liked in my opinion.

You guys should read Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson

6. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

Schilds Ladder, Is a must read for anyone who is into Science Fiction. However you need a mind that is well versed in quantum and normal physics to understand alot of whats going on.

By the way my sister who's 10 wrote her own book and is going to be published. It won first prize in a nationwide event.

Her books called Keeper of Elements

Here have a look:

http://www.imaginaryjourneys.co.uk/winning_entries.htm

7. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

I have read that book it's from Greg Egan who is an Austrialian... he's quite famous here for Sci-fi books. There's a book that he wrote some years ago called Diaspora, was quite fascinating.

8. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

what is it about?

9. david23

david23 Well-Known Member

I love David Eddings books they are all great but I like The Redemption of Althalus the most.

I also like Robert jordan's books.

10. kanwarrulz_123

Diaspora is likely a story describing of the gamma ray effects through a simple story of an orphan Yatima.

11. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Can you pass me the text file of that book? I'm curious about it :p I wanna read it :)

12. philipfry23

philipfry23 New Member

The Wheel of Time series is one of my favorites. The author, Robert Jordan, died last September but another writer is finishing the final book in the 12 book series.

13. ultra

ultra Guest

max weber-the protestant ethic
    king leopolds ghost-i forgot who wrote it
    broken spears-also forgot who wrote it
    germinal-emile zola
    chinese lessons-forgot who wrote it

14. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

My favourite books are-
    Marley and Me- Can't remember the author...
    The Stand-Stephen King
    Firestarter-Stephen King
    Garth Nix's books that are titled with days e.g"Mister Monday" I think it was keys to the kingdom...
    Harry Potter series-Rowling
    E.T.C
    I don't have any favourite authors because I only base my judgement on the books I read, not the author...

15. CJneeds6characters

CJneeds6characters Well-Known Member

Hmm just noticed this thread....anyway my favourite books are:
    The inheritance Series(Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr)- Christopher Paolini
    Brisngr is supposed to be released in September.

The Dragonlance series - Different Authors.

The Forgottom Realms series(Drizzt Du'Urden)-R.A Salvatore- The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, the Legacy of the Drow series, the Paths of Darkness series and The Hunter's Blades Trilogy.

Note: Icewind Dale is a PC game, I own it. Drizzt is featured in Baulder's Gate and Forgotton Realms: Demon Stone. The Books are sort of D and D based.(for those who don't know D and D = Dungeons and Dragons a movie but more famously a Role Playing Game((not video game)).

The Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series-Karen Miller - The Innocent Mage, The Awakened Mage and there's more coming.

The Terry Pratchett book supposed to be good and since I saw a movie based on the characters (Heh rat death)(("the hogfather" is the movie)) I'll probably read some since my dad has like 25 of 'em.

16. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

The Inferno- Dante (Favorite book)
    The Divine Comedy- Dante
    Harry Potter books
    A Tale of Two Cities- C.S Lewis
    Candide- forgot the author's name
    Lord of the Rings- Tolkein

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

a tale of two cities was charles dickens, not cs lewis...

18. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

True that, I can't believe I made that mistake. I also wanted to put the Chronicles of Narnia, which were written by C.S Lewis

19. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

LOTR series was excellent, also anything from steven king, I love his more sadistic books, anyone who has seen the new movie 'The Mist' based on a S. King book will know what im talking about, brutal twists are the best :)

and of course harry potter, anyone who says they dont like harry potter is lying! LIES!

20. kanwarrulz_123

Yes, I loved the LOTR trilogy by J.R.Tolkien. Harry Potter is my side time... I read this in many rare times.