1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favorite OS

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by timmy1991, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

do you think firefox will make os?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you mean Mozilla, and I doubt it.

3. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Why should they?

4. TheNosh

TheNosh Member

no, but google is doing so with Android being ported to net books, and now chrome OS schedualed for 2010

5. Loonylion

chrome OS is already out, it's nothing special. It can't do half the stuff a normal OS can and never will be able to.

6. TheNosh

TheNosh Member

they're still working on it though, official release isn't schedualed till 2010.

as for the idea that it can't do half the stuff a normal OS can do, it's linux based and with a small amount of effort should be able to run local linux native software as well as the web apps google wants everyone to start using.

personaly, i probably won't use it. i'm not much of a fan of cloud computing, and if their "new windowing system" is any good i'm sure it can be installed on Debian alongside my e17, gnome, xfce, lxde, and flux box installations.

7. Loonylion

it's the whole web based thing that stops it doing half the stuff a normal OS can. Stuff like 3d modelling/animation and video editing will never be doable over a WAN.

8. primenay13

primenay13 Member

Not true I have a computer that has 8gb of ram and quad core processor so everything runs smoothly and vista is amazing, way better than xp. Waiting now for windows 7

9. AceKilla

AceKilla Well-Known Member

Dual OS XP Sp3 and slackware :)

10. TheNosh

TheNosh Member

thats why i mentioned the use of linux native applications on the local machine, these can handle things like 3d modeling quite nicely (blender for example)

11. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Well, I have now officially wiped Windows from my PC and installed Linux. I decided to go with OpenSUSE 11.1 with the Gnome GUI. It, gave my piece of shart computer a major speed boost.

Speaking of OpenSUSE, how do I open a .rar file? I obviously can't use winrar, since win- stands for windows....
    I would like to play my new DS rom

12. Loonylion

there is a version of winrar for linux. Try opening a terminal and typing 'yum install rar' and see if that helps.

13. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

I tried that, but in the terminal screen it says something like it can't open some file in a lib. So I just gave up.

Anyway, I'm updating my preferred OS.
    Its XP Pro sp3, then ubuntu and windows 7.

14. Loonylion

ubuntu is debian based so it wouldn't have yum.

15. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

but it should work on opensuse?

16. Loonylion