1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favorite OS

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by timmy1991, Jun 17, 2009.

1. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

Ubuntu, Fedora, and Windows 7 RC(its not a finished product but it works with no problems for me. Which is like a first)

2. VENOM1091

VENOM1091 Member

windows vista has nice looks but xp pro is the best windows out right now

3. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Yep,
    I agree.
    Most games are supported by it.

4. failtorespond

failtorespond Well-Known Member

Vista's compatibility isn't too bad anymore. It used to be way worse.

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

but still... XP is higher

6. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

XP, Windows 7, Linux Ubuntu and Linux Red Hat where I practice programming :)

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Install tiny vista and you can conserve more resources than just taking out all of the visuals. I still have the default aero look on mine, but my computer runs a helluva lot faster than it would if I still had Vista on it. It runs over 120 different registry modifications, as well as disable useless services. The install disc is so small, it can fit onto a 700 MB CD, instead of the larger DVD. I have 1 GB of RAM installed on my Vista and it only uses about 24% to run. Before I installed tiny vista, that was well over 60% usage. If I ran it down to bare essentials, I'd probably squeeze another 4 or 5% out of it. Even with the fix, I still have problems transferring/deleting large files. It dicks around, giving me ridiculous estimated completion times even for deleting stuff...which ends up being 30 minutes to delete something around 4 GB. On my XP, an 10+ GB file (the common.mpq file for WoW) was gone in less than 10 seconds if that. My XP has a slower CPU. It also does that crap if I'm deleting a bunch of files, like let's say my iTunes library. It will sit there and estimate my time to deletion, take another 40 or so minutes, and then it finally decides to delete it. I never bother using my miniSD or my PSP memory stick on the vista because it will take 5x as long to transfer stuff. The only thing I use the vista for is wireless storage. I put just about everything in there, and I can do it remotely using the XP.

I'd have to say XP is my favorite, but I haven't really played around with a lot of OSes, just Windows 98, XP, Vista, and Mac.

8. failtorespond

Do you know if there a 64bit version of tiny vista?

I used to use tiny xp beast edition and it worked really well on the PC it was for.

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

nope, going to demonoid is enough to see that, most of the problems running games happen to vista users, you have a much lower chance to find a gaming-in-XP than finding a gaming-in-vista issue.

i've only really used XP Pro for a long time, i've had enough of vista (3 months and i was tired of all that crap). then i've used win95 and win98, but, oh well. then, mac OS leopard for a few times (i used it for a too small period of time, so i can't really say whether it's good or not) and linux ubuntu once or twice. these last too didn't seem bad.

10. failtorespond

For example; I couldn't get the retail version of Bioshock to even load with a high end vista machine, but it started on a mediocre XP machine perfectly fine. TBH I have had this problem with a few games.

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

There's a ton of tiny vistas running about, but the only one I would ever use is by eXperience, and so far, I have not found a 64-bit version that works.

12. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

windows xp, and vista just because of the gui and that fact that im stuck with it. ubuntu is my favorite linux distro but i would never use linux as my main os.

13. sanderenrianne

sanderenrianne Active Member

XP PRO SP3

But, the Windows 7 will be my next OS.
    Installed it on different machines with different hardware specs.

Windows Vista sucks.

14. jgrimm

jgrimm New Member

i like windows xp and ubuntu linux vista has good looks but not much compatability with old programs
    Post Merge: [time]1247260130[/time]
    and dont dis vista the only probs ive had with it is compatability i have it and its fine also i would like 2 have windows next it look cool and is said 2 work way better than vista

15. panzerbandit

panzerbandit New Member

I'm using XP SP3

16. TheNosh

TheNosh Member

debian sid (minimal install with only the software packages i choose) it has a rolling release schual which i like a bit better than installing a new version every 6 months in ubuntu

but right now i have ubuntu 9.04 and am playing with debian and arch in virtualbox

sometime when i have nothing better to do i plan on swiching my PC to debian or arch (as i said, right now i'm liking debian)

17. EmmaGebz

EmmaGebz Well-Known Member

I use Windows XP, I don't like Vista much but thats probably cause it was put on my laptop. Craptastic Laptop+Vista=Pain and slow death ;D

18. Shadiko

Shadiko New Member

I have Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows Vista on my laptop. Once Windows 7 becomes officially released, I'm getting it.

19. TheNosh

TheNosh Member

i dual boot with the win 7 RC. it's pretty solid

20. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Since my PC is from the dark ages, I won't be able to upgrade past XP...