1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favorite OS

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by timmy1991, Jun 17, 2009.

1. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Sometime I can't play most of my game when using Vista..
    for example,CoD4 and SH 4 : The Room...

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I've never tried Linux, is it any good?

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

It's a stable OS, but you could say there is sort of a learning curve to it.

4. timmy1991

I'll put it on one of my older pc's to try it out

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

try mandriva or opensuse

6. timmy1991

i was thinking ubuntu, heard that's pretty decent

7. Born2killx

That is one of the biggest ones, but I think I recall that Loonylion doesn't particularly like Ubuntu. But maybe it's just one of those phantom memories. :eek:

8. Loonylion

ubuntu isnt particularly good. there's a joke saying in the linux world: 'Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning 'can't install debian''

9. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

On the Linux side: I prefer the fedora core...

Windows: Still XP, the same reasons as posted by other users, though I'm waiting for the final release of Windows 7

10. Loonylion

fedora core is better as a server OS than an end-user desktop OS. the likes of mandriva and openSuse are a lot more noob-friendly.

11. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

I was introduced to Ubuntu and Fedora core in my high-school...the government contributed them...some of my classmates have had some problems adapting to it though, they were used to Windows, I guess...

12. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

There are enough tricks to bring the usage of RAM for Vista down.

13. Born2killx

At the sacrifice of the end-user experience. As for Linux, they already have low memory usage. So they look oodles better. :p

[​IMG]
    That uses as much memory as
    [​IMG]

Honestly, what do you think looks better?

14. jevejo777

jevejo777 Well-Known Member

the opensuse one looks much better

15. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

What are the latest OS?

16. Sat_Fool

Sat_Fool Member

Born2killx, do not compare memory usage in Linux like you do in Windows. Linux is designed to preload or keep loaded many things in memory in case you need it. It will dump what isn't needed very quickly.

I have used Linux at home and work since 1999. I even had a dual boot Windows XP pro/Linux machine at work that got booted into Windows twice in a year. Both times to use the Dell hardware tools. I need Linux due to 64 bit. It allows me to work on large files and they are still in ram. Try to edit a 7Gig multi-layered image file with only 3Gig of ram. It takes forever to swap in and out as you change scenes.

Just installed a Linux (Fedora 11) machine at home with only an ASUS BIOS issue (dead battery and not working with all the hardware the first boot). Full 64 bit software.

One of the largest installs I have ever done. Just over 22Gigs with almost all the possible applications installed, including 3D animation, rendering, graphics, multimedia, games, business, development and other software packages. All 64 bit and free.

As for the desktop flashy stuff. Look at Compiz/Fusion in comparison to Windows Vista Aero. Once you have worked with a spinning animated fish tank or live cubes and multi-desktops, you just cannot think of Aero being flashy.

There is an old video on YouTube that compares Vista Aero with Beryl, the old 3D desktop.
    WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

We are a Linux house and both my wife and daughter have had their frustrations with Macs and Windows.

17. jevejo777

jevejo777 Well-Known Member

i know Wat you mean, everytime i use windows (vista) it goes terribly slowly as when i do the same with ubuntu. we have also a windows 7 at home and that's not so bad as windows vista, but i don't use it that much.

(PS:I'm not a father)

18. timmy1991

Which is why XP is still one of the best

19. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I'd have to choose between Linux Mint and Windows XP. Linux Mint is what Ubuntu should have been and more. XP is an obvious choice, I trimmed mine down so it uses even less RAM. I tried Vista and Windows 7, currently having both as "secondary OSes". Vista is not that bad at all, though I have to agree with Loony, RAM usage and compatibility is piss-poor. Windows 7 tries to remedy those things, but I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet until the I try the RC/ Official Release.

20. fnk

fnk Well-Known Member

I have a Mac with XP installed on it. I still prefer Leopard to XP and/or Vista.