1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favorite non-main stream anime

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by CrashmanX, Feb 2, 2010.

1. otakulily

otakulily Well-Known Member

Nah. I'm that dude in the tuxedo.

2. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

Gun x Sword I guess....

3. DB_Odin

DB_Odin Well-Known Member

uhmm apocalypse zero, way to graphic for mainstream

4. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Well-Known Member

So anyone watching some non-main streams recently?
    Heroman is one of my Fav's right now.

5. otakulily

I would consider Heroman to be fairly mainstream. :s

6. khaos_dragon89

khaos_dragon89 Active Member

I'm pretty sure Mushishi, Bacanno! and Durarara!! aren't on tv...So there we go that's three I can think of so far.

7. H_Delta101

H_Delta101 Well-Known Member

Red Baron ............mushishi,but somebody please tell me what is main-stream and non-main-steam anime is

8. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Air gear.

9. CrashmanX

No, ask a couple of people around where you live if they know what Heroman is. Most of my friends who watch anime (90% of it is dub shit) dont even know what Half if what I watch is.

I'm going to have to put that under Main-Stream since quite a few people know what that is and its quite a popular Manga.
    When I say Non-Main stream I mean something that you have to find either Translated or is isnt very popular, like Ecole De Cuiel (I think that's what its called), its a Manga about a Zeon girl growing up the in the Federation just to find out that her father was a really really twisted Zeon scientist and may/may not have made here into a Newtype.

10. otakulily

Or really? If I were to randomly ask my people around where I live, they wouldn't even know what anime is. In any case, for an anime that just came out this month, it already has over 3000 watchers on MAL alone.

11. CrashmanX

Its still a Non-Main Stream anime, I consider Air-Gear to be main stream because 90%+ of my friends know what it is, and they dont keep up on Anime like I do.

12. otakulily

On top of that, it was created by Stan Lee. It's likely to become popular with the Western audience and will probably get dubbed very quickly.

13. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

so your friends are the main stream?

id say kurochan its old but i like it

14. CrashmanX

But its not "yet", it might be, but its not "yet".

Yea, pretty much.

15. otakulily

In that case you would have to consider every new anime to be non-mainstream.

16. CrashmanX

That's the whole point, do you see any NEW Animes coming over to the USA/Europe immediately? No? Ok then, if its not over here in our main stream then it is considered non-main stream.

17. otakulily

You also have to consider what you mean by "our mainstream". American/European culture is not heavily influenced by anime in general. You have to consider pop culture as a whole. Among spring 2010 anime watchers, Heroman is not an unheard title. In fact there is more talk about Heroman than most other 2010 series. The very fact that it appears on the anticipated spring 2010 anime chart should be enough to consider Heroman as one of the more popular series seeing as though the chart only displays the more "known" series.

18. freehand01

freehand01 Well-Known Member

how about bokusatsu-tenshi dokuro-chan, for sure this is non-mainstream......
    I liked this bloody show...

19. Giruvagen

Giruvagen New Member

Wait, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann isn`t acceptable? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!
    jks ;D
    Anyway i recommend Elfen Lied, don`t think it`s mainstream. Watch the first ep and judge it. Theres nothing better than an anime chick blowing people apart while wearing a cage like mask, oh and did i mention she was NAKED!?! :eek:

20. CrashmanX

You have missed the entire point. Go to an Anime Convention, asked a few of the people wearing Naruto, Bleach, or DBZ stuff if they've heard of Heroman. Main Stream is whats on TV here and in Europe and what anime is POPULAR between the 2. The only way I've been keeping up with HeroMan is because of /a/ and /m/. Otherwise, I would have never known of its existence.

Anyways, yes, TTGL is considered Main Stream. It was aired on the Sci-Fi Channel and has a Dub, to me, that is Main Stream.