1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Fallout 3

Discussion in 'PC' started by Dagkeln Dustfist, Oct 30, 2008.

1. So this beaut of a game has finally come out and I must say, while the style obviously plays like Oblivion with Guns, it still has its perks as a first person adventure shooter game! Who else here has gotten to play it and what are your thoughts on it so far? Remember to use spoiler tags when explaining part of the plot some of us might not have reached yet!

2. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I don't have it yet but am looking forward to getting it soon. You said its like Oblivion? I don't like Oblivion too much. That's not good news in my opinion :(

3. then you probably won't like it, as a lot of the quests and such play out in such a way that it makes it seem like Oblivion. It is Bethesda so were you expecting much more from them? Even still I do enjoy it and it is a bit of an overhaul on the system, especially VATS (which basically lets you aim at certain body parts and disable them for critical hits) It really plays more like a video game version of Spycraft (a d20 pen and paper game) but with more steampunk than high tech stuff. Character Creation is almost limitless as well! Definitely worth a try at least! Haven't tried LIVE multiplayer yet so I'm not sure how that is, but I hope to try it soon!

4. grimsim1

I just didn't enjoy the camera view and the "extreme open world" nature of Oblivion. It wasn't a bad game but there was just too much to do if you know what I mean. Didn't Bioware make Fallout?

5. yeah but bethesda did most all the work for this installment, so you either love it or you hate it. Personally I love the weapon customization in the game. Really mixes what I liked about making magic weapons in Oblivion and basically adds a whole new perspective to it by creating a weapon out of pretty much anything you can find. Rail Road Nailgun anyone?

6. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Black Isle made the original Fallouts. Fallout 3 is much better than Oblivion, in my opinion. I also despised Oblivion as I was expecting Morrowind to be built on instead of being cut back. Fallout 3 doesn't have the boring landscape Oblivion has, it's much more interesting, plus when you go back to an area, the enemies haven't levelled up and the voice acting is much better too.

7. grimsim1

Oblivion was dead boring...my word..what a boring game.

8. gaynorvader

Agreed. Fallout 3's the opposite, it just uses the same engine.

9. yuri102007

yuri102007 Member

Yeah i love fallout 3..XD!!

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ive tried it and I suffer from the random freeze bug. I hope they patch it.

11. gaynorvader

Yeah, I'm getting that too, especially in buildings. Still, it wouldn't be Fallout without bugs!

12. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

Does it seem dated to anyone?

Damn, I was so excited, I was even defending it, but when I got it, it really was just oblivion with guns.

13. Norlick

Norlick New Member

Oblivion was one of the most boring games I've ever played personally, likely because I'm one of those guys who'll pick up a game, play it for two hours then not touch it for two weeks before I play for another two hours.

Fallout 3 however, I played for 7 hours, one sitting, when I first got it, and have been playing it almost every day since.

Amazingly good game.

14. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

I mean, the Ragdoll physics, its just like Oblivions. In the old Fallouts when you shot someone's head it would either explode(on criticals) or have other animations. In Fallout 3 when I shoot someone's head(or other body parts) its always the same decapitation no matter what weapon I'm using.

15. Reider

Reider Modereider

I've had it explode on some occasions but the regular decapitation happens more often than not. I'm still not very far in it though since I can only get the PS3 for short periods of time before my friend notices I "borrowed" it again. :p

16. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

Fallout 3 got 100/100 from gamespy. It must be amazing. I look forward to picking this up soon. Same goes for Left 4 Dead.

17. supersonicsparky

supersonicsparky Well-Known Member

Fallout 3 is an awesome game, I've finished the "main storyline," but the thing is, when you finish, you have to start a new game unless you saved before you finished.

18. yuri102007

yuri102007 Member

the game is awesome...Xd i love it

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It does to me, they decided to use the same engine, which is severly out dated, has horrid animation, ridiculous amount of bugs and tons of memory leaks.

The things about this game to me is that I'm killing the same bad guys all the time (be it Mutant, Super Mutant, whatever mutant or a Raider or useless animal), there are about 13 side quests that are tedious, vague and irritating. Blood Ties is ridiculous, it tells me to go north west to some camp, and I go that direction and there's NOTHING. The bugs make the game sick (memory leak, game lags like crazy, freezes, VATS takes forever to load), the animation is horrid, the voice acting is up to par to Oblivions (the shoplady in Megaton), NPC's kill themselves etc etc.

Luckily mods are going to be available soon, so the community can fix all of these problems, yay for Bethesda! Great job. Great job. I enjoy playing it until any of these problems come up then I hate it.

That and that there are only a couple of towns, the rest is barren wasteland with a few things to switch it up (A RAIDER CAMP, kill them on, move on).

The only saving grace is shooting some guy with a box of cigarettes with the Rock-It Launcher. Oh yeah the physics engine is ick.

20. gaynorvader

Have to disagree with most of that. The camp in blood ties is underground, I have had a few problems with memeory leaks, but I'm sure the first patch will fix most of them. most new games nowadays are shipped with leaks. The animation and voice acting are head and shoulders above Oblivion and most other RPGs out there. I've never had the game lag since upgrading my PC, maybe you have the settings on too high. Why souldn't NPCs kill themselves? Although I've only noticed them killing each other, so I'm not convinced that they do commit suicide. i found Fallout3 to be a very immersive and enjoyable experience, there are many points of interest in the bareen post-apocaliptic wasteland, although kinda the whole point is that it is a wasteland. The physics engine is ick though. Stupid rag doll bull, lousy popularity, it is kinda amusing though.