1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FA Premiership 2008 - 2009

Discussion in 'Sports' started by grimsim1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. azmi_mumin

azmi_mumin Member

Yup, have to agree with you (since you're a Reds fan from your avatar choice it seems)... Xabi reminds me of Lee Carsley where he was so instrumental to Everton's mid-field last season but not many people acknowledged that...

And he's one of the major player to push Birmingham City back for a fast re-entry into the EPL... Go Blues...!!!

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

1) A double-header refers to the broadcast of two games, one after the other...
    2) Wolverhampton is a city in England. Home of the well-known side Wolverhampton Wanderers (Wolves)
    3) If by 1st Division you mean the top tier, it's because in the past, the gulf in class has been too great for them to bridge.
    If by 1st Division you mean the Championship...they don't
    4) Xabi Alonso is a Spanish footballer who plays for Liverpool FC. He is widely recognised as one of the best passer's of a ball in European football and
    known for his composure on the pitch
    5) I no have idea. It could be something to do with the fact that many people here aren't native English speakers and thus can be forgiven, don't you agree?
    6) Ashley Young is one of the best wingers in the premier league. He plays for Aston Villa, and is one of the major reasons for their success so far this season.
    Dimitar Berbatov is a Bulgarian who did quite well at Spurs, prompting Man United to pay alot of money to secure his services...

I hope that's adequate...

3. jackblaze

jackblaze Well-Known Member

if he does not know any of those things he should leave this forum.

ps.Alonso is not really a defensive mid he is more often a deep lying playmaker

4. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I always thought him as a holding mid....

5. jackblaze

And before anyone brings it up man u only lost because he was resting his players for the chelsea match and the lost to a very good goal but we will make it up in the second leg.

6. iamlegend

Excuses as usual...

7. jackblaze

Ok what excuse did liverpool have when they lost to tottenham 2:1

8. iamlegend

That's the point...None
    We don't make excuses when we play badly

9. jackblaze

but us resting our side is not a excuse its a strategy

10. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure we used a few of our second string players against Spurs, whilst they used a full team. Can remember seeing Cavalierii and Pennant playing. I'm not making an excuse, just saying. Spurs are a lot tougher to beat than Derby County.

11. jackblaze

did u see the goal
    it was a Very good goal and we obviously did not what to go all out if we did we would have brought on ronaldo and rooney much earlier

12. iamlegend

I presume you lot have heard something about this already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZCtUlDAM8

13. jackblaze

yes but ferguson only did as a mind game to the other manager maybe causing him to crack under pressure

14. iamlegend

Only did what?
    Repeatedly intimidate and criticise officials and escape punishment?
    Not to mention all the complaining he does as if the premier league exists only to fill his days...

15. jackblaze

only said what he said about liverpool and benitez and benitez only did said all of that because of what happened if alex said nothing this conversation would not happen

16. EDRICK88

EDRICK88 Well-Known Member

Anybody have a BPL fixture list?? where can i see it??

17. dmac154

Please iamlegend, the media has definitely crowded your judgment, of course, causing you to take the side of Liverpool. (source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=607965&sec=england&cc=5739). If you have looked at the fixture list for Manchester United, you will see that in the first half of fixtures, all what are deemed as major matches in the FA premier league and the FA cup; were ALL away games. Games that fall under this category are as such: v Chelsea, v Liverpool, v Arsenal. As you know, Manchester United lost to all those teams. Those away games were also after another competition that took place in the week. For example: game on sunday, game on wednesday, game on saturday.

Alex's original complaint was that the fixture list was not doing United any favors, meaning as I stated above, major away matches after a competition in the week. Alex is lobbying for a more balanced fixture list, not one that favors any team in particular.

With the upside of the current fixture list, you WILL argue that 'Oh, Man Utd will have to play all their rivals at home..etc and home field advantage for them blah blah blah'
    Yes it is favorable, but this is the kind of thing Alex is trying to prevent. He does not want any team to have an advantage, just plain, fun, fair soccer. Furthermore, the refereeing at many games, not just United's, have been beyond poor. Not only do the refs realize they have some power, they are trying to exploit it on teams they deem fit. hence, because Manchester United has such prowess, they are a target in the eyes of officials. Sir Alex wants to rid the officials of such corruption and give each team an equal, fair chance of winning each game.

If you could not gain anything informative from this wall of text, then you are truly incapable of viewing an argument from both sides of the spectrum. Hence, making you not a legend... :p

18. azmi_mumin

azmi_mumin Member

You can always refer to your local newspaper or visit http://www.premierleague.com/page/FixturesResults

I'm using FourFourTwo's Preview Guide but the fixtures are not all the time fixed, hence check the net frequently for any changes.

19. iamlegend

That's the biggest block of bullshit I have ever seen ::)
    If Mr.Ferguson is so honorable that he wants everything plain, fair, fun football then why does
    he only complain when the fixtures go against United?

The fixture list is as random as possible
    Obviously there is some shifting around for TV purposes,
    but this doesn't cause any disadvantage as big games involving United are usually played on a Sunday.
    Despite all their complaining United have still played less games than everyone else

And referees are out to get United??
    Thats hilarious...
    Now who's being influenced by the media?

20. dmac154

Apparently, you did not read all of my text. I said that after ALL games in the week for other competitions, United were expected to go away for most of their EPL games.
    Do you not understand that your players are influenced by fatigue and away status or home-field advantage? If this happened to Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea, you would see how fast each of the respective coaches would complain to the FA officials.

The fixture list is NOT random. Football Association (FA) sets the fixture list in advance of the upcoming season. It actually takes people to create this fixture list.
    United have played less games than most teams because they are in many competitions.

Not me, or any other United fan on this site are influenced by the media. The refs are indeed against United, because we have ensured our place as one the top teams that challenge the calls of refs. I'm sure that you have also seen many of the Big Four team players talking to refs, questioning their judgment and calls. The refs have this false sense of power because of the 'Respect Campaign' foolishness.