1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FA Premiership 2008 - 2009

Discussion in 'Sports' started by grimsim1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Phisixuk

Phisixuk Member

Not liking the new season so far. All because of Fat Mike Ashley running Keegan out of town and ruining what confidence and structure we had. He should have beat Hull, and we could have beat West Ham if Keegan was still in Charge. Still, Keegan will come back if this Nigerian Consortium buys Newcastle, so here's hoping.

Tottenham vs Newcastle tonight, we need to win to get some confidence back.

2. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

What a great Merseyside derby win. I couldn't be happier with it. It was funny how Arsenal lost though. Way to go Hull. Manchester were lucky yet again. Getting a penalty for a dive, just so typical.

3. 93_soccer

93_soccer Member

I think the top five will be this:
    1) Manchester United ;D
    2) Liverpool
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal
    5) Hull City :eek:

lol i know that number 5 is unlikely but if they play the way they have the past few weeks it will be very likely that they might have that spot

as for tottenham, well they are off the worst start in like 20 years being last of the table
    even with some good players i don't see tottenham survivning this year, and if they somehow manage the impossible and reach the top five... well that's verrrryy unlikely
    the highest i can see them finish right now is (if not relegated) somewhere near the bottom of the table, like maybe 1 spot away from being relegated

4. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

I agree 93_soccer, Manchester United should be victorious. Then it will be Liverpool and anyone else after that ;D

5. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Top 6:

Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Hull
    Man City
    Man United
    Portsmouth

Bottom 3:

Everton
    Spurs
    Newcastle

6. grimsim1

hahahahaha
    You forgot Arsenal though. :p

7. iamlegend

Whats funny?
    Everton haven't won a game at home this season...
    Their only wins have been narrow wins over West Brom and Stoke...

And I didn't forget Arsenal...

8. grimsim1

No I was laughing because I agree, and I hate Everton because they are our biggest rivals. I would love for them to get relegated. And as a joke I meant you forgot to include Arsenal in the bottom three.

9. dmac154

Its interesting your post iamlegend, putting Hull (a recently promoted Division I or II team) over well established teams such as Portsmouth, Arsenal and even Manchester United. Dont get me wrong, I agree with some of your placements, but you got to be realistic here.

10. iamlegend

Well, if everything always went as expected, we'd all be rich...

Hull have shown themselves to be as good as anyone...
    They defend well and have plenty of pace and finishing power...
    How many teams can claim they have come from behind to beat Arsenal?

11. dmac154

Valid point there. But can they manage and have good luck against the other teams, it might not be so easy next time. I'm just saying :-\

12. grimsim1

Hull have done well but they are simply an underestimated team and that is why everyone looses to them. Around mid-season their lack of depth will show and they will start loosing games. Its around that time when smaller teams' better players start getting tired and hence drop form, and because they don't have good subs to replace them, they won't play as well. Other teams will take them more seriously as well and will start beating them. Hull will pull a Reading from a couple of years ago and I think will end up staying in the Premiership but I don't think it will be in the top 10.

Spurs will bounce back, no doubt. Players like Modric, Dos Santos, Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Jenas, Gomes etc. You can't keep loosing with a team like that. No way in hell. What I think they need is a new manager. Someone that can actually speak English, not like Ramos who relies on Poyet who himself isn't too fluent. Here is a surprise for you, how about Sam Allerdyce taking over at Spurs??? That should make them really strong I think, even though he was poor at Newcastle. My honest Honest opinion of the top and bottom 3??
    Top: 1) Liverpool
    2) Man United
    3) Chelsea

Bottom: 18) West Brom
    19) Fulham
    20) Stoke City

13. dmac154

So international duties gentlemen. It has had its successes and its toll on players. Namely successes: Rooney having to save England yet again, Walcott with his hat-trick the other day, and Ferdinand being captain over John Terry. Disappointments/losses: Injury to Torres and Babel and fatigue for returning league players.

How do you think the international duty gonna affect our teams and rankings? is my question.

14. grimsim1

I really hate to see Torres missing for a few games. He is our only source of goals right now (bar Stevie G). Babel is a good player but Riera is really proving himself as a fantastic winger and with Kuyt on the right, we should be okay. I'm generally worried about my team's strikers though. Keane scored in the international game but hopefully can start doing it for Liverpool too. I would like to see N'gog given a chance because I think he is a decent youngster. As long as Torres is fit for the Chelsea game we should be okay.

Manchester United should be full of confidence now, dmac. You agree? Rooney did well, Ferdinand scored, Wes Brown had a decent game. Can see them picking up the pace. Arsenal will struggle further I think. They just don't look too good for me. I can see Spurs starting to win a couple of games too, and the likes of Hull scraping through a few wins or so before dropping down to the lower parts of the table.

Lol, that's my take on it :)

15. dmac154

I'm look forward to this weekend in terms of games grimsim. Bummer that Torres is injured again, he was really starting to get back into form. I hope the Red Devils completely shut out WBA. Good luck to Liverpool as they take on Chelsea, that will be the match of the weekend.

16. grimsim1

We playing Wigan this weekend ;D The Chelsea game is next weekend

17. dmac154

I hope you all watched the games, beautiful 9 Premier League games in 1 day.
    Hull City against Chelsea, sweet game for Chelsea of course.
    Liverpool vs Portsmouth, hated that Gerrard scored in game.
    Manchester United vs West Ham, beautiful that 'the lad' Ronaldo had a double.
    Best game of the night was Arsenal v Tottenham, 4-4, woot.

Lovely, simply lovely.
    Was it veteran's day or poppy day or something?

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Not yet, rememberance day is the 11th of November.

19. grimsim1

The best result of the week was Chelsea 0 - 1 Liverpool. What a game. I'm so happy we won that game and ended their run. But Im also glad we beat Portsmouth last night. It was so close though. My team always frustrates me like that but at least we won. 3 Points ahead of Chelsea on the log. I'm happy with that. On the weekend its going to be a tough trip away to a new born Spurs.

Dmac, did you see Berbatov's set up? That player is special. I'm so happy he is Bulgarian like me. :) Maybe finally we can qualify for the world cup. It's been ten years. And best of all it's here in South Africa. Hell yeah, i'm going to the games for sure.

20. dmac154

Yeah Berbatov is freakin' amazing. Unfortunately, with him there Ferguson is not playing Tevez enough so I'm actually kinda pissed about that. But I guess he's trying to break him into the team so he can play more efficiently.
    Looking forward to this weekend: Red devils v hull, liverpool v tott lke you said and arsenal v stoke. Whoo great games.