1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Erap...Against Corruption....

Discussion in 'General News' started by kamage, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Erap ready to join groups vs corruption
    By Jose Rodel Clapano
    Sunday, February 17, 2008
    Pardoned former President Joseph Estrada said yesterday that business organizations, civil society, and other groups that allegedly conspired to oust him in 2001 are “now realizing their mistakes.”

In an interview with The STAR, Estrada said that recent developments in the Arroyo administration should be an eye-opener to these individuals and groups like the Makati Business Club (MBC).

“These groups, which joined the protest rally last Friday and called for Arroyo’s ouster, are the same people who were behind the protest rallies against me that prompted me to leave Malacañang to prevent bloodshed,” he said.

He added that for the common objective of fighting corruption in the country, he is now ready to join forces with the people “who demonized him” and that he had forgiven those who did him wrong.

“They realized their mistake of removing a constitutionally elected president with the highest votes ever garnered by a president in our country. Vox Populi, Vox Deis, the voice of the people is the voice of God. But they unconstitutionally removed me from office,” he said.

Estrada contended that people expressed their voice by giving him a huge margin against his rivals in the 1998 presidential elections.

He said unlike the Arroyo administration, he did not block the impeachment complaint filed against him, and this was even heard before the impeachment court in the Senate.

“I faced the impeachment complaint, I did not block it because I am not guilty and my conscience is clear. However, I faced them, but they did not face me because the prosecution panel walked out and they brought my case to the parliament of the streets,” he said.

Estrada left Malacañang on Jan. 20, 2001 and returned to his house on Polk Street in North Greenhills, San Juan.

On April 4, 2001, the Office of the Ombudsman filed plunder and eight other graft charges against him, his son Sen. Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, his wife former Senator Dra. Luisa “Loi” Ejercito, Charlie “Atong” Ang, and others.

The Sandiganbayan special division was also created to try Estrada’s cases.

In the end, Estrada said the eight graft charges filed against him and his co-accused were all dismissed.

He was convicted of plunder, while Jinggoy and lawyer Edward Serapio were acquitted of the charges in September last year.

A month later, President Arroyo pardoned Estrada and freed him from detention at his rest house in Tanay, Rizal.

Estrada started his “Lakbay Pasasalamat” by visiting slum dwellers in Vitas, Tondo, Parola, Smokey Mountain, all in Manila; resettlement areas in Rizal, San Juan, Payatas and North Triangle in Quezon City, Laguna, and Bataan.

He also visited patients at V. Luna Memorial Center in Quezon City, the prisoners at the National Bilibid Prisons in Muntinlupa, and residents of Alabang and San Pedro, Laguna, to thank them for their support.

“I was not given my day in court. That is why I am doing the rounds to thank them and present my case. The prosecution panel presented their pieces of evidence and witnesses in the impeachment court, but when it was my time to present my evidence and witnesses, they walked out and brought my case to the parliament of the streets and later I was unconstitutionally removed,” Estrada said.

He said the Arroyo administration, through then Justice Secretary Hernando “Nani” Perez, offered him twice to leave the country without charges.

“I turned it down. Perez told me to leave our country and go anywhere I want without being charged, and I can bring everything that I want as long as I resign as president of the land. I told him, no, I cannot leave the millions of Filipinos who trusted and voted for me in the 1998 presidential elections even if it would cost my life. So, they jailed me,” Estrada said.

Source: www.Philstar.com

Significance:
    He is listed as one of the top ten most corrupted leaders in the world....former President of the Philippines

2. chantanko

chantanko New Member

Estrada is a liar and a thief. I'm not suprised that he was pardoned because the Filipino government is corrupt. Estrada who was once an actor, became president. Many actors turn into politicians and politicians turn into actors. This is the only country I know where a politician can become an actor and even win an award for best acting. Estrada's son Senator Jinggoy Estrada accomplished this just this past winter. I think he went up against another senator for the award. His name is Bong something. I guess like many other governments the so called leaders don't do their job. They usually look after their own interests. I think this is a big joke that Erap wants to fight corruption. If you want to fight corruption you put away the corruptors. And that doesn't mean sending them to their rest home where they're free to do whatever they want. Guys like Estrada should perish in jail.

3. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Wow, trong words coming from you...Perish in jail....

4. chantanko

chantanko New Member

The truth hurts. only if jail is like Estrada's rest home.

5. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

World news?

Who cares?

6. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Now that's just being ignorant.. :-\
    Erik Estrada... I remember him from some B-movies a LONG time ago. So this is what's become of him now...

7. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

chantanko ur offensing my country its not that corrupt just a bit

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

...I live over in the Philippines also, but i think the government is corrupt...not the most corrupt, but definitely in the top 20, it's not an offense if like almost eeryone in the country thinks it also :p

9. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

Estrada? I know ho he is, he's the guy in Chips right? He's also Marco's voice in sealab.

10. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It's Joseph Estrada, just for those who didn't know...

11. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

It is a fact I can't deny but why do you focus on Erap and why not gloria who is the current president?

12. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Marcos Corrupt
    Cory More Corrupt
    Ramos Corrupt
    Estrada Corrupt
    Gloria Corrupt

Jeeze everybody's corrupt, honestly the Philippines is crappy right now because of bad enforcement, I mean seriously we treat "whistle blowers" like saints. Its like they're not responsible , yes its good that they brought attention to the public about an injustice that's happening right now but it doesn't absolve them from their sins that they also took part in that act of injustice. It like if a group of people murder a man, one in the group went to the police to say that the group murdered the person, he wouldn't be immune from prosecution, he'd be given a reduced sentence at best. If the country had good enforcement everything will fall into place, all the problems the government in the Philippines claim to have is just a facade, to blind people into blaming something else.

13. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I blame the government, not the president alone....

14. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

yeah the goverment is the corrupt not the people in the philippines

15. chantanko

chantanko New Member

i'm filipino too dude. i didn't say the country was corrupt. the people that run the country are. erap is one of many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.