1. This forum is in read-only mode.

End of the world

Discussion in 'General News' started by monter, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monter

monter Guest

Apparently scientists are going to combine two atoms together to make a black hole, now it's going to be a one in a million chance and even if they did make one it would be so tiny that it could not suck us up. Enough of this big bang theroy we are not going to die on wednesday. If you are curious ask me on thursday and I will tell you if we are dead or not.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its penis envy. The US are jealous that its a European experiment and that they don't have anything as big as the LHC, so they started that rumour to try and derail the experiment, then other attention seeking scientists jumped on the bandwagon.

3. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I fucking lol'd. wat. The suspicion is more of an internet thing.

Anyways, the experiment they're doing Wednesday is suppose to simulate the big bang, I believe. They claim that if a black hole is produced it will be EXTREMELY tiny. However, apparently they're testing black hole stuff more specifically (deliberately) in mid-late October. Still though, as awesome as it is scientifically, one could argue that it's not worth risking human life, no matter how small the possibility. Humanity is kind of a fucking huge thing to put at risk, no matter what. Plus, I mean, black holes on earth just doesn't sound good. Jesus fuck.

4. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

Oh noez
    http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689010/End_Of_The_World_Coming_Next_Week.html#readmore

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Well a black hole doesn't need to be big.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

What was that Star Trek term for very tiny Blackholes?

Spatial-Gravity Anomalies was it?

7. Loonylion

If its too small its gravitational pull will cause it to collapse on itself.

8. monter

monter Guest

I still think they shouldn't mess with this stuff.

9. ultra

ultra Guest

i'm going to cross my fingers, pray and hope something happens. it'll be really cool to see something like that. imagine getting a chance to see a real sci-fi effect thingy happening in real life and knowing we can't do anything about it.

oh yeah. can't wait.

10. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

If it does kill us all then there won't be anymore suffering or pain.
    I guess we just "go out with a bang."

11. anandjones

ultra, would suck if it were in your area. loony, would be rare for it to be too small anyway.

12. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

[quote author=http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689010/End_Of_The_World_Coming_Next_Week.html#readmore]
    "THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIST!"

Some believe that extraordinarily powerful collisions, much like the ones that will be occurring at the LHC, could possibly rip through the space-time continuum and open a door to another world, even another dimension.

Sounds pretty cool, until you think about what could come out of that gateway. I don't know about you, but I'm not really down for spending my last few days fighting off acid-shooting spiders, 30 foot tall lobsters, or devilishly creepy Sam Neills who want to tell me how awesome hell is.

CHANCE OF ACTUALLY HAPPENING: 0.000046%
    [/quote]

What is that, Half Life? :p

13. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

No, a half-life is the time it takes for the nuclei to decay half way, it's radioactivity, I learnt it in science...
    Well that's the Physics term, I think there's one for chemistry and biology too.
    And a black hole that's possible to be made would be too small and the gravitational field would cause it to collapse...

14. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

he was referring to the fps game half-life with Gordon Freeman as the protagonist

15. Loonylion

yes, and that is where the game gets its title from. The fancy letter h in the name is actually the greek letter lambda and it is used to represent wavelength in physics.

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

nice i cant wait for the result.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Hmm..
    I can't wait for the result...also i hope the result never happens.

18. anandjones

Some old guy (Physics teacher) came to talk about this to us, he said that in Geneva, Switzerland, there's a huge machine area with the project named Alice or something, they're going to have two particles in tubes and make them move at very fast speeds and then eventually have the tubes bend or connect so that they collide, providing a experience of the Big Bang. There's like 1000 people working on it, from Physics to Technicans and such. Not sure if this is explained in the link above.

19. gladiator

gladiator Well-Known Member

i dont wanna DIE!!!..... but im too far away.... :D

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Next thing you know they'll be actually making Wanzers or Gundams or even start developing spaceships a la Star Trek..

No I'm not being sarcastic or idiotic, just thinking positive ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.