1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Emotions over Videogames

Discussion in 'Rants' started by anandjones, Sep 17, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

God I'm pissed right now. I just got home from school, and accidentally tripped over the cord which turned off the PS2 (my little brother still plays it) and my little brother was playing Samurai Warriors 2 and was playing Yoshiro's? dream, it's definitely a hard level, and he almost beat it until I cut it off. He pulled an absolute psycho at me, he was in such a fucking raging fit, throwing stuff everywhere, fuck I just wanted to smack him one. He screamed so fucking loud. He's calmed down now thank god, but he's still so fucking angry. It was the most angriest I've ever seen him, and he likes to get angry a lot. God, I'm absolutely certain that videogames have increased his anger tenfold. Jeez, I get frustrated if I accidentally turn off a console while playing a game intensely, but not angry enough to throw the dinner chairs around the house. God. It's not the only time he's done this, he's done this plenty of times but at lesser outbursts. I'm really worried how he'll turn out when he's older.

2. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

the first time I played through FFVII on PS1 I didnt have a memory card, halfway through disk 3 (yeah i played all the way up that far without saving) I finally had enough pocket money to get a memory card, I went into town, bought the card, and when I got home I found that my brother had turned the PS off and was playing Muppet race mania. Needless to say, I broke his nose.

3. anandjones

Okay, that is just far worse than the Dynasty Warriors one. Damn that's a lot of time wasted.

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

My nephew wiped my 100+ hour save data on Dragon Quest VIII so I hung him upside down off our back porch for 15 to 20 minutes once.

It was awfully nice of him to provide a reason for me to do that. :D

But yeah, I can't imagine I'd get all that angry if I got set back a level or two regardless of the difficulty, I'd just consider it good practice and getting a feel for the level so I could do it in style next time. :p

5. mrfatso

mrfatso Well-Known Member

sounds a little like my brother, only without the whole offing part, all i have to do is just sit near him, and if he loses a match, by the way, he likes playing warcraft maps, so anyway back to what i wanted to type,if he loses a match and i am unlucky enough to be near him, he will just blame me for his unluckiness =(

But i guess i be angry too if i put in 20hours and i forgot to save then, the next time, i just get a glass of iced water and i am good to go :)

6. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time my girlfriend erased my Final Fantasy Tactics save files (75 hours, every job mastered and almost all items). Didn't speak to her for a few days :p . Anyways, I got over it. I learned to back up my save files. It's normal for people to get emotional when those kinds of things happen.

7. elk1007

elk1007 Well-Known Member

Video games aren't just for entertainment. The real reason a lot of people actually play video games is because they substitute actual accomplishments. You can work at something in the real world for years and still be only slightly good at it. In a game, you can become a master of whatever you're doing withing days, weeks, or a couple of months.
    Also, video games are designed to be instantly rewarding. When you gain X amount of experience, you level up etc.
    Compare to this the real world where there is no set amount of skill gained for so much time and effort. You know you'll probably get better, but there's no guarantee as to what pace you'll improve.

Imagine you want to be a Olympic gymnast, and you train hard for years. You've finally gotten excepted to compete at the Olympic games, but then 2 weeks before you start, you get into a car accident and have to learn to walk again. Your dreams are crushed.
    Now compare that to losing your place on a video game you've worked hard at for hours. It obviously isn't as bad, but can really seem that way because of the instant rewards we receive as we play. When we lose those rewards, it crushes our spirits; makes us feel as if our time was wasted.

Even so, one needs to understand the situation that video games place your mind in.
    I've lost countless hours of play to power outages and memory card corruptions. (PSO anybody?)
    Remember that in the end it IS just a game, and you're incredibly lucky that you get to retry as many times as you'd like.

8. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Your brother sounds like he his an anger problem Anand, if something like that happens to me I either retry or get depressed a little and give up playing the game... Actually alot of you guys seem to have anger problems, but hey I can't talk, sometimes I get in to unnecessary bad moods and get really P'd off... But games don't get me angry (except for N+..)

9. anandjones

Yeah he has serious anger problems like I said. Some games where I just give up on I just leave them to the next day or so, and then eventually I just do it, since my skills increase overnight.

10. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Hmm..wonder what he is going to be like when you get your X...ahem you know. Hope Winterr doesn't see this. But anyway, video games does make a person more easily provoked.

11. I think I was....12? 13?
    but I was playing deus ex on ps2 and I didn't realize I could save jock, and when he died, I cried and saluted him >.>

12. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

My memory card for ps1 had FF7 data on it with everything, maxed out materia, maxed out levels, all gold chocobo's. Had plenty of other data on it too from other random games.

My dad was trying to rent out the house, so a lot of stuff was being packed but i had my ps1 and tv out in the living room, I was at school and my dad let the kid's of a couple he was showing the house too, play my ps1. Needless to say they decided to delete everything on my Memory Card. Came home, was a little pissed but i just shrugged it off, seriously. No fucking reason to get batshit retard crazy over some pointless things that in the end, DON'T MATTER. MCCAIN FOR LIFE!

13. elk1007

elk1007 Well-Known Member

What makes this reality so much more important than an alternate one?

14. darksynyster

darksynyster Well-Known Member

Why didn't you smack him though? I know beating your kids or siblings is not right, but a good smack is not going to mess him up. In fact, sometimes it takes a nice smack to snap somebody out of their stupidity and set them straight. When I was a kid I used to be a bad kid and break stuff, scream random shit at people and just be a violent kid and I got smacked a lot. Sometimes I even got hit with brooms and other objects and I'm still alive and kicking. I'm thankful actually, I've never been to jail, never done anything that I can't be proud of and if I did not happen to get set straight, I may have not been able to say the same.

15. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

depends on how long of time was spent, and how much you are attracted to the game. when i was maybe 12 i was playing Pokemon Emerald, and i took the time to learn the technical details. had a lot of hand trained stuff with max EVs and fairly good IVs, and more than 500 hours of play time (ye i had nothing better to do, cant even touch the computer except on weekends). anyways some @$$ at my school decided it was fun to mob me near the portables, and after i chased him down i found my data gone :-[ i wanted to give him a beating but 1) it was at school, 2) i was kind of disliked at that school cause i was Chinese and fat :p so i dont need more enemies, and 3) it's just a game. i can always redo it. no matter the damage, it is merely a setback. at least i still have the brains to replay it ;D

16. anandjones

But that's just one level. I did indeed hit him later on.

17. ultra

ultra Guest

like in this video,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgebXiYkwQQ

18. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

While your brother's reaction was a little over the top, seeing the cumulation of an afternoons work go up in smoke is annoying. Imagine you'd built an absolutely amazing treehouse with your friends or whatever and went home for dinner one day, only to come back and it's gone. You're going to be pissed off. It's time from your life that you'll never get back. Even if you can go back and do it all again...you have to go back and do it all again.

19. marcy

marcy Guest

This is not only with video games.
    Generally, if someone would crash something you put a lot of work and time in, you would just get pissed because you have to do it all over again and it's not even your fault.

I'm pretty sure I'd get mad and hit the person who done this as hard as I ever can.
    But, after that I'd simply calm down.

20. romz_mark

romz_mark Well-Known Member

When i was younger i use to get really peed when people did that type of stuff by accident. Sometimes it was even my fault. But then you get used to it and grow out of it.