1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DVD writing speed help

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by manny2260, Jul 21, 2008.

1. manny2260

manny2260 Well-Known Member

I cant seem to get my DVD burner to write at 1x which is apparently the best speed to burn a PS2 ISO. Do you guys know anyway to bypass the minimum speed limit?

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

you can't do a manual setting?

i know mine goes to 1x.

i am using imgburn so that might be your problem.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Could be your program, if you use a trial program, most of them limit your speed to 4x, which is good for PSX games. The slower you burn it, the better, the image file is burned correctly and carefully without rushing.

4. manny2260

What program would you suggest? I read a few topics and they suggested writing a disc at half its maximum speed, would you recommend it?

5. anandjones

Use a program such as ImgBurn (free). Slower is better. For most average discs.

6. manny2260

The slowest I have found my DVD burner to write is about 4x is that low enough for a good burn?

7. anandjones

That's a decent burn speed yes, that's low enough. That's the best speed for burning PSX games.

8. manny2260

Thanks for the info. Hope that 4x is good for PS2 also!

9. insanecrazy07

i don't think so.

i would stick with 1x.

10. manny2260

My burner won't write at such a low speed.

11. insanecrazy07

bummer.

what burner do you have?

12. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

it doesn't matter i have burnt over 70 ps2 games at full speed and they have all come out perfect, the only thing you need to make sure is that your discs are a high quality dvd and that they are -R

13. manny2260

I'm using Memorex because I found a few laying around but when these 7 I believe, are used I'm planing on buying Ritek

14. equitypetey

the ps2 has a really weak pansy ass laser so never cheap out with discs, the fact that dvds are so cheap now for a spindle i'd sugest Verbatim. i have only ever had problems with cheap brand discs so just spend a little more cash and you'll have less problems.

15. manny2260

lol sounds like the laser is great :p So according to the replies from you guys (lol rhyme) If I were to buy verbatim DVD-R's and write them at 4x all should work out fine?

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the main problem is that cheap discs do not necessarily meet all the stringent standards, and PC drives are a lot more tolerant than other devices.

Generally the slower the better, however 1x, 2x and 4x should have a fairly similar success rate

17. manny2260

Thanks for the response Loony, if Loony says 4x is decent im prone to believe it is. Which DVDs would you suggest Loony?

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

TDK or verbatim

19. equitypetey

i would still say use better discs as it causes less stress to the laser and never use +R's
    i don't know why you only wan to take loony's advise i've been doing it for ages and i've read nearly ever forum thread on the net to do with ps2 backups. even if you are burning at 4x or less you still want to go for a better quality disc and as i said verbatim are the best discs you can get.
    personaly i hate tdk

20. manny2260

K, thanks for the advice guys! Its awesome how here at RomU anyone can post a question about pretty much anything and get great replies! Oh one last question , sorry Loony should I get 8x or 16x I heard its better to write a DVD at half its maximum speed so I was thinking of getting 8x so I could both write at a speed which has been said to be reliable and can also write at had its maximum speed.

I am not solely taking Loony's advice. I know that Loony is very experienced in matters involving most technology, meaning his advice is one I should consider. You guys had stated that using verbatim DVDs would be better than my current DVDs, him recommending them just reinforced my decision.