1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dubs vs subs in games (and other related rubbish)

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by mds64, May 5, 2013.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

So recently I imported a japanese game called mobile suit gundam senkai (or battlefield record) UC 0081, an all japanese game with audio and dialogue, if not for translation guides I'm playing this BLIND XD

But it got me thinking about more...fortunate games that got translated, I know alot of people would rather listen to the characters talking rather than read subtitles but there are those like me that despite us not understanding a word of japanese would rather listen to that over an english dub (because my ears bleed DX), so...why in the ports is the original vocal tracks removed?

I can imagine cost involved but not that much surely?

We got games like dynasty warriors gundam that have BOTH english and japanese tracks, and even regular dynasty warriors games have the option to download the chinese (because, you know, those are based on chinese history/legends/mythology)...

And then you got ones like yakuza that omit english dubbing altogether and are total subtitle dependant (although those sold poorly, and the chances of the 5th here and the hd remakes of the first seem unlikely, I still blame dead souls for that...).

So I ask, is it cost, licensing to have both original and dub tracks involved?

I know its a bit much to ask if its just the original only as people who rather dubs would over take the otakus who'd rather it be native -_-

2. chummit000

chummit000 Member

I guess the languages available for some games are mostly dependent on the market.
    If a game or company is patronized by a country a lot, then chances are games will be made in that country's language besides the company's native language.

3. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

sub, because dub usually end up in disaster for a none japanese game, especially JRPG... and even in movie or tv series, i hated dub, no matter what country the movie or tv series come from, i always go for sub. i cant understand why there is people who like dub over sub.

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

Japanese voices in JRPGs are over-acted to shit and are about as enjoyable as a root canal.

5. 8bitstory

8bitstory Member

Everything seems fine, except anime fighting games like DBZ. Oh yeah the sister of Lightning and Vanille sounds like a slut waiting to be f*ck every time they have a dialogue