1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSI

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Amelia Leeming, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

All flashcarts use a MicroSD card. And the USB adaptor (the "memory stick") is just one way to connect any MicroSD card to a PC. You can use an SD card shaped adaptor just as well. You can put files onto your MicroSD any way you want, no matter which flashcart that you use.

2. Amelia Leeming

Amelia Leeming Well-Known Member

K but shall i get iedge or acekard 2i, zanmato_ says that the iedge i will get the iedge if it is better but which is easier to use and set and which would u reccommend FreudianLemur (or anyone else)
    Post Merge: [time]1279476978[/time]
    i really need to order this ythis evening by 8:30 so please help someone!!!!

3. Fredbox

I have no experience with the iEdge, so I don't know. But I do know that the Acekard 2i is a good card. You choose.

4. Amelia Leeming

read zanmanto_'s post and see what u think to that

5. Fredbox

Why don't you see what you think to that? I've told you everything I know, it's up to you to decide.

6. innergamemaster

innergamemaster Well-Known Member

iedge is nothing more than a cycloDS CLONE

gbat temp review:
    The iEDGE good flashcart in terms of build quality, packaging and firmware.It offers a unique update process which is fairly simple to use and is quick.The compatibility is almost perfect but I have only tested about 50 ROMS the iEDGE could play 49 of them.The downside is that they only update when Team Cyclops updates to their FINAL versions and they dont update when Team Cyclops releases betas of their firmware making updates slightly slow.Compared to other carts in the flashcart market like the Acekard 2i and M3i Zero the iEDGE does not exactly match up.But if you are a simple gamer and are ready to wait a few extra days for your fixes as well missing out on extra features like RTS,RTG,Wifi Updates etc. I think the iEDGE will suite your needs. So I want to end by giving the iEDGE:
    7.5/10

If you got the $$ get a DStwo or else the Acekard is the second best available..
    iedge is a CLONE of cycloDS

saying the iedge is better than the acekard is like saying silver is worth more than gold

7. Amelia Leeming

Oh great I just bought the iedge i am so mad i feel like ******!!!!! Do u think it will matter, i only got it over the acekard cause i looked on the internet and it said the iedge was better than the acekard and so did zanmato_ and another person!!!!! oh flip im such an idiot!!!

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The iEdge isn't a bad card. While the Edge is a CycloDS clone, the iEdge is an updated version of the Edge which is DSi compatible, and has a bootstrap (believe that's what they call it) updating system which lets you update the iEdge to bypass the 1.4 DSi firmware blocking without using a different DS (Pretty sure). This is a feature that is better than the Acekard 2i, where if you don't have access to DS Lite or DSi with 1.3, you can't update your Acekard.

And while not as compatible as the Acekard 2i, the iEdge is definitely not the worst DSi cart out there.

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the iEdge actually has a lot of extra features the Acekard doesn't have. The Acekard is only good for compatibility, and the latest versions of AKAIO have been relatively unstable and iffy. Not to be a naysayer, but the Acekard is going down a steep slope. The Original R4 is getting more stable updates faster than AKAIO anymore, and considering the R4 was deemed dead years ago; what does that say for the Acekard?

Honestly, if I was going to buy a DSi flash cart at this point, I wouldn't heavily recommend anything outside of the Supercard DSTwo. It's the best DSi flash cart by leaps and bounds. I'm sure the iEdge will satisfy the average DS user though. Most games worth playing that have AP get a fix really quickly that appears to work on the iEdge quite well, so I don't think there is anything to really worry about.

10. Amelia Leeming

On the website i got it off they offer to put the update thingy on so u dont have to use another ds. What other things r better on the iedge than the acekard

11. zanmato_

zanmato_ Member

Those reviews are old. Like I said, AK2i used to be a decent card when it was getting frequent updates. That's not the case anymore. The build quality is pretty bad and you get contact issues and other problems. Also, the only good firmware for it is unofficial, developed by a single person.
    Sure, iEDGE is a clone of CycloDS Evo, but it's a good card, very well built and the updates are released soon after CycloDS updates. It has the antipiracy autopatching feature (didn't have this feature back when that review was written), so you probably won't have to wait for updates too often anyway. There's a good reason the Internet and some person said it's better than the AK2i. It just is better.
    The AK2i just has a huge fan(boy) base and they like to recommend it every chance they get without really reasoning why. It's not the number one choice anymore, hasn't been in quite a while.

This is false. The iEDGE is more compatible than the AK2i. On the AK2i you have to wait for AKAIO updates whenever a protected game comes out. Most protected games work straight away on the iEDGE thanks to the AP autopatching feature.

12. TirithRR

http://www.edge-ds.cn/product.html

This is a list of features.

13. Amelia Leeming

Oh thank u that has made me feel much better i am glad i got it now instead of the acekard!!! Thank u everyone for all of ur help it is very much apreciated. Keep tuned in though as i might need some help downloading game (i wont if it is the same as the r4's method) THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

14. LuckyTrouble77

That's actually a fairly nice list of features. I STILL wouldn't recommend it above the DSTwo, but I think I would honestly recommend it above the Acekard2i at this point. From a 3rd party standpoint, that card has entered a sad decline. It used to be that Acekard users could pop into just about any AP thread and say "It works on AKAIO X.XXX," not so much anymore.

Like I said though, I think the average DS user would be very satisfied with a cart like the iEdge.

15. innergamemaster

iedge is nothing but a clone
    is just like buying an R4 clone
    Post Merge: [time]1279488836[/time]
    anyone with real knowledge of flash cart will tell you to stay away from clones like the iedge...
    Post Merge: [time]1279488983[/time]
    The original R4 is still the best R4..why because it's not a clone
    that's what you're getting with iedge...a clone of cycloDS

16. LuckyTrouble77

This post speaks leaps and bounds about your knowledge of flash carts.

17. TirithRR

The R4 is just lucky that someone decided to pick up third party support. In my opinion, (and I've said this before) Wood is not a reason to buy an R4, but a benefit for those who already have them.

At least with the iEdge you have a seemingly active development team. And the iEdge itself has distanced itself from the CycloDS (mostly with it's DSi support and bootstrap loader). Putting it on the same level as the various R4 clones is just ignorant.

18. Fredbox

I agree with everything you said apart from the bold bit. If you have an extremely tight budget (so you can't afford to be buying SDHC cards anyway) then the original R4 is still definitely an option in my opinion. If you just want to play games easily and quickly (and GBA games if you have an EZ 3in1) then Wood R4 makes it perfectly good.
    Just my opinion.

19. LuckyTrouble77

I completely agree with this. I would highly recommend the purchase of an R4 Original for somebody on a tight budget. For only $6 for the cart, and around $8 for a 2gb MicroSD card, it's really hard to go wrong. Plus, the cart works really really well. There is no issues with the MicroSD magically erasing itself, the cart or MicroSD slot breaking, or anything of the sort.

If you have the cash to go bigger, than I fully support doing so, but if you don't really have the cash and need something cheap, the Original R4 is actually a very solid choice.

20. innergamemaster

the people who are in love with the iedge (cycloDS) are also the ones who thinks acekard is out of business
    so it shows you how much they know about flash cart

congrats iedge owners..you are the proud owner of a cycloDS clone